Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated steering wheel upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if we will be able to retrofit a heated steering wheel from Tesla or a third party for an older Y. Can’t believe they didn’t come with that originally and really missing it this winter.
Wondering if anything came of this? Looking to do the same. We just bought another 2021 MY and assumed it had heated steering since our first one does and NOPE and by the time we realized we’d already taken delivery. Our option according to Tesla was so sell the car. 🤪 My hands are freezing 🥶

It’s a fairly involved upgrade. I did it with BMWs a while ago. You need a new slip ring that can carry enough current for the heating element. Plus new wiring from the car to the slip ring. So it is more involved than just a couple part exchanges.

It’s a fairly involved upgrade. I did it with BMWs a while ago. You need a new slip ring that can carry enough current for the heating element. Plus new wiring from the car to the slip ring. So it is more involved than just a couple part exchanges.
Plus a configuration change on the Tesla software side to enable the button to turn on the steering wheel heat.

The Bearded Tesla Guy on YouTube swapped a heated wheel into from one of his Tesla's with it, to another Tesla of his that didn't have it. TBH, I don't recall if it worked or not. You can easily find him on YouTube. Obviously, Tesla could certainly make a retrofit available, but to date, it seems like they haven't really been that interested in potentially generating extra revenue buy offering retrofits on things like this, passenger's side lumbar support or matrix headlights. Or they've determined that the cost to develop isn't worth the money for the potential revenue that could be generated.

Hi, i was told by tesla that any model y made before Jan 2021 it is not supported!
Would make sense.

Besides the heated steering wheel you need a new slip ring that supports the power needed for the heater, then you need to turn on the button on the screen, and then offcourse, there must be some electronics / relay that switches the power to the slip ring..

And wiring between battery, control module, slip ring and so on.