Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated Steering Wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I get that part of it. I suppose I'm just not understanding why this seems like such a huge dealbreaker for a lot of people.
Because when your hands are cold, there's a SIGNIFICANT comfort difference between touching a room temperature steering wheel (preconditioning) vs a warm steering wheel (heating element). Tesla not including this feature is a stupid cost cutting measure. At least make it a damn option. Same with ventilated seats. I always had a sweaty back after driving my S or 3 in warmer temps.

I'm ordering full self driving, so any steering wheel is needless weight for me. Just gets in the way while I'm trying to read the New York Times while driving to work in the morning.

In fact I'm ordering my car right now. Where's the "steering wheel delete" checkbox? Assume we get a $100 credit toward the purchase price?

So much to unpack here in your comments.

Are you going to read the Times on the 15" screen with the Chrome app as a registered subscriber? Won't be long, perhaps tomorrow, that the print version will be history.

If you can still get a print version, the steering wheel could actually prove useful to rest the paper onto while reading it. DO fold it properly, or tear holes in the paper to grab the steering wheel every now and then to keep the nag from disabling the FSD until level 5 is available.

BTW, the wheel is already removable, with the proper tools. You might also need to do some software hacking to complete the full steering wheel delete.

Oh, and this is actually true, the $100 ordering fee is not applied to the price of the vehicle.

I'm ordering full self driving, so any steering wheel is needless weight for me. Just gets in the way while I'm trying to read the New York Times while driving to work in the morning.

In fact I'm ordering my car right now. Where's the "steering wheel delete" checkbox? Assume we get a $100 credit toward the purchase price?
Clearly not an owner yet.

• Funny
Reactions: Electric Steve
I was amazed to read that there's no heated steering wheel on the Model Y. Someone commented that "luxury" vehicles should have them.
Well, even my lowly Chevy Volt has heated seats and a heated steering wheel!
I'm still going to buy the Y soon, but really!

Here in Virginia they invented this new thing called a garage, best part is having the car pre-condition in the garage and then my toasty body goes from the house into a preheated garage with a preheated car and battery full charged,,, best thing about owning a Tesla!!! I would pay extra for the heated steering wheel, but I'm not a fan of the Y... waiting for the Triple Cyber Truck, which may or may not fit in the garage, but its a truck and I don't really care... I can preheat it too.

Last edited:
Here in Virginia they invented this new thing called a garage, best part is having the car pre-condition in the garage and then my toasty body goes from the house into a preheated garage with a preheated car and battery full charged,,, best thing about owning a Tesla!!! I would pay extra for the heated steering wheel, but I'm not a fan of the Y... waiting for the Triple Cyber Truck, which may or may not fit in the garage, but its a truck and I don't really care... I can preheat it too.

Here in TN we have things called parking lots. I drive to work and my car sits out in the cold for 9 hours a day (often being outside both before sunrise and after sunset in the middle of winter).

I guarantee any heat it had from my garage is gone before I put it in park at work and then it gets even colder while I sit at my desk.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I thought I would miss the heated steering wheel my volt had, but then I realized, with no traditional instrument cluster you can direct the vents right at the steering wheel and boom...heated steering wheel. And in the summer it doubles as a cooled steering wheel :D

As you're from up north with similar winter temps as Chicago gets, I take stock in your comments, especially with the ability to direct the HVAC system towards your hands. My last car did not have a heated steering wheel, and I thought I would never use the heated feature in my current car - yet I do use it every day when the temps are 40 degrees F or below. That said, I would be in the camp wishing Tesla would include it, as it would save energy. There are grey cases when turning on the main heat in the car is unneccessary, but having a little heat on the wheel might be sufficient. Cars half this price have heated steering wheels.

If Tesla was based in the Midwest instead of CA, they would have heated steering wheels, for the $100-150 it would add to the price. Definitely helps with the winter heating hit on range, despite being able to warm up the car remotely. From Kias and Hyundais to my previous Chevy Bolt offering them, they don't really have an excuse to continue avoiding it. Definitely one of those things you miss once you've had one. Unless you're just tooling back and forth from SoCal to TX... It can be dangerous to add one later due to the airbag, really needs to be done from the factory. C'mon, Tesla!

Well, I guess it might be a moot point. If the 3 is getting a heated steering wheel, then so is the Y?! I guess when I get mine, my wife is going to be stealing mine and leaving hers.

Read the sentence just above the picture of the interior. That said, it's unclear whether the Model Y will get the same fittings at the same time as mentioned in the second link provided below. That's frustrating!

Tesla officially launches Model 3 2021 refresh with more range and features - Electrek

Tesla boosts Model Y range - Electrek