Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does all 2021 M3SR+ in Canada have heated steering wheel? I thought they did. I picked up my 2021 M3SR+ today but can't find the option to turn on heated steering wheel. When I used the voice command, it said it failed to turn on heated steering wheel. I have the latest update.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
Does all 2021 M3SR+ in Canada have heated steering wheel? I thought they did. I picked up my 2021 M3SR+ today but can't find the option to turn on heated steering wheel. When I used the voice command, it said it failed to turn on heated steering wheel. I have the latest update.

I don't think they do...yet. I know the model Y's do. Sorry I can't be more help. Congrats on the car. Curious on what colour you decided on.

Reactions: cdswm3
Tesla rep told me none of the M3 have the heated steering wheel

I called the Toronto Lawrence location and all they told me was that the heated steering wheels are confirmed for the Y, but he could neither confirm nor deny that they'd be in my M3P (order date 2-22-21)

He said to keep checking my "Build Sheet" to see if it comes up there with heated steering wheel closer to delivery.

It seems like they have no more information than we can publically get from the interwebs.

It's crazy how Tesla never communicate better on this important feature... (at least it's important to Canadians, lol)

I would like to know too since I'm ready to change my wife's 3 SR+ to a Y LR cuz she is always complaining about she can't move bulkier items and most importantly - her frozen fingers. She said our old kia was better than the model 3 in that regards... lol

• Love
Reactions: Goodtohave
It's crazy how Tesla never communicate better on this important feature... (at least it's important to Canadians, lol)

I would like to know too since I'm ready to change my wife's 3 SR+ to a Y LR cuz she is always complaining about she can't move bulkier items and most importantly - her frozen fingers. She said our old kia was better than the model 3 in that regards... lol
I agree, my 98 BMW 528 had a heated wheel...my 2012 Nissan Leaf had it and I love it. In the Leaf the heated seats and steering wheel was the only thing keeping me warm in the winter! Took too much battery to use the heat!

Anyone know if we change out the older steering wheel and replace a new one are we able to get heated wheel as well (just a thought)

that would be awesome... sign me up!
Unlikely...a few months ago when it was leaked in the code there would be a heated steering wheel I reached out to a buddy at Oakville. He basically said a retrofit would likely require adding wiring which would make labor really expensive....still though, I'm keeping my eye out for any diy or hope this can happen.

Realistically though, you gotta figure a couple hundred bucks for them to take the old steering wheel and give a new one (I'm assuming you would get some sort of credit because the wheel includes the airbag which would be hella expensive to just buy and scrap the old one). Plus at tesla's labor rates I'd bet an 'upgrade' would be 500-1,000+ if it ever was possible.

Keeping fingers crossed and hopes down....

The airbag is a restricted part, I'm not sure Tesla would take it back once installed.

The heated steering wheel, at least in the UK, is £975. The non-heated version is £475, so there's quite a big price delta there.

A UK Tesla tech said to me on the phone that the non-heated part is the "latest design", suggesting that both the heated and non-heated parts look identical externally (metal scroll wheels, no cut at the top at 10 and 2). As to why Tesla would redesign the wheel AND have two versions of it, that's anyone's guess really.

The same UK tech told me that I could install the wheel on my 2020 M3P and that "whilst the wheel may fit the function of it is not enabled on your vehicle. That’s not to say that it wont become a retrofit option in the future but currently it not something we offer, keep on eye on the upgrades section of the app as any upgrades that become available will be on there". So, it won't just work if you attach it to the car, and getting Tesla to enable it would depend on how friendly your mobile tech is I guess, and whether they even have the capability to alter that option.