TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Heated Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by tnawara, Mar 29, 2012.

1. strider

strider Active Member

I'm not saying Model S shouldn't have heated seats and steering wheel for comfort. If you don't like hot air blowing on you or waiting for cabin heat by all means switch on those seats and wheel and enjoy.

My point was that I didn't want threads that say, "don't use the heater or you'll run out of power and have to get towed!". As I mentioned, there are hypermiling geeks that will want to squeeze every last mile out of their vehicle be it ICE or EV and that's fine, but I'm just worried about adding to people's apprehension with those types of posts.

2. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

I really can't understand why a heated steering wheel is such a rarity.
    Leather gets cold and needs quite some energy to warm up. Yes, gloves help but they also reduce the feel and comfort. I'm sure the cost is much less than heating the seats.

3. JAG

JAG Member

#63 JAG, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
    You may as well stop by a Starbucks and fill up a hot water bottle too.

c'mon, at that point I would rather tow a small generator behind me to make my car a temporary hybrid not enough to run the cars heater at full blast ... enough to add 45kwatts to my battery over its usage time... Now that's a million dollar idea to kill range anxiety for those trips... Send a check worth a Tesla performance model x to me and it is all yours Elon.

...not to be disrespectful to this poster, because this info could come in handy , I just wouldn't want EV owners to be expected to do these kinds of things. I own a very impractical sedan, rear wheel drive 322 hp Mercedes 1994 E500 which is useless in the snow. I own one car, and would prefer to own one car. So finding a single car alternative is a good idea as opposed to dating a girl with an SUV. I'm not thinking a model S will make it up a steep icy grade... But I need some cold weather use. I would opt for a full cold weather package.

4. Ravarju

Ravarju Member

I always thought heated steering wheels were unnecessary until I had one in the Winter. It is the one luxury item I'll miss the most. (Also from Chicago)

5. EcoHeliGuy

EcoHeliGuy Member

I'm actually surprised this didn't become common place before heated seats. In cold climates who wants to hold a cold wheel when the car is first starting off, you have pants at least between you and the seat.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Tesla should add it at some point but you may find you don't miss it as much as you think you might. It's been below 10 here in the Midwest and when parked in a unheated garage at least, steering wheel isn't that cold. With possible ability to preheat with mobile app, that will help as well. People still want it so Tesla should definitely at least make it an option.

7. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

#67 ToddRLockwood, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    A heated steering wheel absolutely should be part of the Model S. Here's why: the touchscreen won't respond to your touch if you have gloves on. As in the Audi, the heated wheel should come on when the heated drivers seat is turned on. Driving without gloves during a New England winter will be enough of a challenge.

Update:

I just learned that there are gloves that will work with the touchscreen...

The North FaceETIP GLOVE

Isotoner Gloves

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

They absolutely should add it and hopefully it is able to be added back to older cars. If you could preheat the car to 76 before you got in would you still need driving gloves? People expect this feature in a car this expensive so it needs to be there anyway.

9. alset

alset Member

You need a pair of gloves that work with touchscreens, for example:
    Amazon.com: Agloves ® Original Touchscreen Gloves, iPhone Gloves, Texting Gloves: Sports Outdoors

They work in the car and with a smartphone...

10. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

11. tezco

tezco Sig P85

Agree. Those of us with Ranaud's really need the heated wheel. Even my Leaf has it!

12. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Leaf didn't offer it the first year either, as I recall. I would really have appreciated it, though, on the Model S. My hands get cold when driving, so I've worn gloves for awhile. Got a set of touchscreen gloves for Christmas specifically for this reason. Haven't really tried them so far, as they turned out to be a bit small and I need to exchange them.

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Question is, does Mercedes offer it?

14. tezco

tezco Sig P85

True, and there was no battery heater either, but they also didn't market the car in the colder climates that year. My '97 Audi has the heated wheel, so the technology isn't that cutting edge...

15. tezco

tezco Sig P85

Yeah! It's on the way for 2015! See here.