Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated steering wheels, no, really!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK so it's post battery day and the new car pricing and specs did not change. (I was wrong, I expected a change)

So I've been on the fence bout buying a Tesla since 2018 (with much desire to join the club since the early S60 days back in 2012) a big chunk of what I've been waiting on that I didn't think would take this long to happen is for this void to be filled

View attachment 592031

There isn't a service center or store within 200 miles of me unless I have an aircraft to fly there and back. As the crow flies Atlanta, Nashville, and even Charlotte are all under 200 miles from my house. But in terms of driving over mountains or plateaus it becomes more challenging to just hop in a car and drive there (distance, time, and charging). Heaven forbid they try to give me a gas car loaner or uber credits. I just don't have faith that in the life of a new car warranty I won't need to get my car to the service center. And I don't want to have to stay in a hotel for the time of the repairs/upgrades or to have to make two long range trips to swap cars.

How big of a company does TSLA have to be before they put something in the center of this gap?

a lesser issue but still high on my hesitate to buy it reasons list is the lack of a heated steering wheel. I can grab a used 2012 Leaf for under $5k that has a heated steering wheel but I can't get a Model 3 at any price with one.

Anyway if I put an order in TSLA wants me to drive to Nashville to pick it up. Two people that worked in the same office building with me have already made that trip but they live closer to Nashville than I do.

So what's the catalyst that will push TSLA into opening more service centers. Do I have to wait for the TX factory to open before they expand stores/service centers again in the US? Or do you think TSLA will leave this gap for the foreseeable future?

Have you ever taken a test drive? Totally understand the proximity to service issue but I find it hard to believe that someone could drive the car and have the lack of a heated steering wheel be a deal-breaker.

Have you ever taken a test drive? Totally understand the proximity to service issue but I find it hard to believe that someone could drive the car and have the lack of a heated steering wheel be a deal-breaker.

No, I haven't taken a test drive, You might not have read my post but it's 200+ miles one way to get anywhere I can do that. Which is crazy to me considering I'm in a metro area of about 1 million people.

Also I have 2 cars with heated steering wheels now and I'm not sure I'm willing to drive the colder 6 months a year with out it. I'm literally considering keeping a cheaper car to drive in the winter just so I don't have to drive the Tesla without a heated wheel.

I literally was using the heated wheel on my drive home from work earlier today and thinking about the cost to insure an extra car just to have the heated wheel.

No, I haven't taken a test drive, You might not have read my post but it's 200+ miles one way to get anywhere I can do that. Which is crazy to me considering I'm in a metro area of about 1 million people.

Also I have 2 cars with heated steering wheels now and I'm not sure I'm willing to drive the colder 6 months a year with out it. I'm literally considering keeping a cheaper car to drive in the winter just so I don't have to drive the Tesla without a heated wheel.

I literally was using the heated wheel on my drive home from work earlier today and thinking about the cost to insure an extra car just to have the heated wheel.

If you buy the car, I’ll buy you some gloves :D

6AAB1F0D-5C58-418F-8899-2966E5448A67.png
No, I haven't taken a test drive, You might not have read my post but it's 200+ miles one way to get anywhere I can do that.

Not the right thread but you can very quickly heat the entire car with one tap from your phone app. Never jump into a freezing cold vehicle again.

The app also allows you to pre-heat your seat so it's toasty warm when you get in the car. You can also warm up any passenger seat you want from the app.

Anyone who wants to be comfortable in the cold should buy a Tesla. Ditto for the heat, because you can pre-cool the car (or set it up to stay cool while you run into the store or whatever).

I posted a picture of the phone app so you can see what it looks like and how easy it is to use.

ICE vehicles are in the stone ages when it comes to dealing with the heat and cold compared to a Tesla.

Last edited:
OK so it's post battery day and the new car pricing and specs did not change. (I was wrong, I expected a change)

So I've been on the fence bout buying a Tesla since 2018 (with much desire to join the club since the early S60 days back in 2012) a big chunk of what I've been waiting on that I didn't think would take this long to happen is for this void to be filled

View attachment 592031

There isn't a service center or store within 200 miles of me unless I have an aircraft to fly there and back. As the crow flies Atlanta, Nashville, and even Charlotte are all under 200 miles from my house. But in terms of driving over mountains or plateaus it becomes more challenging to just hop in a car and drive there (distance, time, and charging). Heaven forbid they try to give me a gas car loaner or uber credits. I just don't have faith that in the life of a new car warranty I won't need to get my car to the service center. And I don't want to have to stay in a hotel for the time of the repairs/upgrades or to have to make two long range trips to swap cars.

How big of a company does TSLA have to be before they put something in the center of this gap?

a lesser issue but still high on my hesitate to buy it reasons list is the lack of a heated steering wheel. I can grab a used 2012 Leaf for under $5k that has a heated steering wheel but I can't get a Model 3 at any price with one.

Anyway if I put an order in TSLA wants me to drive to Nashville to pick it up. Two people that worked in the same office building with me have already made that trip but they live closer to Nashville than I do.

So what's the catalyst that will push TSLA into opening more service centers. Do I have to wait for the TX factory to open before they expand stores/service centers again in the US? Or do you think TSLA will leave this gap for the foreseeable future?
It may not have a heated wheel but the vent heat comes on fast because you are not waiting for an engine to warm up. You can also turn the heat on in the app before you get to the car. My wife does that all the time for heat, I do it for AC.

Find somebody local with a Tesla to let you drive it. I've had hundreds of people drive my Teslas. Or rent one for a day using Turo. This isn't actually difficult.

FWIW I live in NY and loved the heated steering wheel on my old cars. Seriously. The ability to have the Tesla be any temp you want through the Winter is highly under appreciated. I can truly say a heated steering wheel would bring little to nothing to the table in a 3 or a Y. It’s like the people who don’t have Tesla’s asking for CarPlay or a heads up display.

“This Doesn’t Matter” - Solving the Money Problem.

Buy Buy Buy!!!

Heated steering wheel is irrelevant, when you can tell your car to warm up 10 minutes before you go out...

Heated steering wheel is irrelevant, when you can tell your car to warm up 10 minutes before you go out...
I guess it depends where you live. In Utah, when it is 15 degrees outside, preheating the car doesn't warm up the steering wheel enough. When they added pre-heating the steering wheel to the Tesla App, that was huge. We want to trade my wife's Model X for a Y, but will not do so until there is a heated steering wheel. Definitely a deal breaker in really cold climates, even with the ability to pre-heat the interior. Cheap cars have heated steering wheels now, it is inexcusable that Tesla doesn't going into 2021.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ocelot and LYTRIDR
So I've been on the fence bout buying a Tesla since 2018 (with much desire to join the club since the early S60 days back in 2012) a big chunk of what I've been waiting on that I didn't think would take this long to happen is for this void to be filled...

There isn't a service center or store within 200 miles of me ...

a lesser issue but still high on my hesitate to buy it reasons list is the lack of a heated steering wheel...

We're 170 miles from our service center so a bit less than you. In 2 years and 30,000 miles of driving I've needed to go there once. Don't forget about mobile service. It's actually far more convenient than my Toyota where the service centre is only 2 miles from my house but the vehicle requires regular servicing even when it's working just fine. This is far less of an issue in real life than it is in your mind.

As for the heated steering wheel, are you serious?! You live in Tennessee and you're considering not buying one of the best vehicles in existence because of the lack of a heated steering wheel?! Sorry, but that sounds absurd to someone who lives through the Canadian prairie winters. We get by just fine without one (and our Toyota and the VW that came before both had heated steering wheels) in our Model 3 and we know cold:

temps.jpg

I guess it depends where you live. In Utah, when it is 15 degrees outside, preheating the car doesn't warm up the steering wheel enough. When they added pre-heating the steering wheel to the Tesla App, that was huge. We want to trade my wife's Model X for a Y, but will not do so until there is a heated steering wheel. Definitely a deal breaker in really cold climates, even with the ability to pre-heat the interior. Cheap cars have heated steering wheels now, it is inexcusable that Tesla doesn't going into 2021.

My wife certainly misses a heated steering wheel, but she still wanted the Model 3. Gets a tad bit colder here in MN than Utah.

Reactions: BornToFly
If you buy the car, I’ll buy you some gloves :D

as is I use gloves with my heated steering wheel. I have 3 types of gloves depending on how cold it is outside. Still have to get out of the car at some point, but with a heated steering wheel I can go one thickness lower on the gloves because the wheel heats my hands back up quicker.

View attachment 592060

Not the right thread but you can very quickly heat the entire car with one tap from your phone app. Never jump into a freezing cold vehicle again.

ICE vehicles are in the stone ages when it comes to dealing with the heat and cold compared to a Tesla.

I have 2 EVs, no ICE here.

But heating the whole car up will cost me more energy and therefore money to do so than a heated steering wheel would. If you would like to send donations my way I can over look that I guess.

It may not have a heated wheel but the vent heat comes on fast because you are not waiting for an engine to warm up. You can also turn the heat on in the app before you get to the car. My wife does that all the time for heat, I do it for AC.

again heating the whole car up will cost me more energy and therefore money to do so than a heated steering wheel would. If you would like to send donations my way I can over look that I guess.

FWIW I live in NY and loved the heated steering wheel on my old cars. Seriously. The ability to have the Tesla be any temp you want through the Winter is highly under appreciated. I can truly say a heated steering wheel would bring little to nothing to the table in a 3 or a Y.

hey why not a third time, heating the whole car up will cost me more energy and therefore money to do so than a heated steering wheel would. If you would like to send donations my way I can over look that I guess.

hey, why not a 4th time, but heating the whole car up will cost me more energy and therefore money to do so than a heated steering wheel would. If you would like to send donations my way I can over look that I guess.

I mean sure at some point when TSLA goes up enough that I can retire on my holdings I may not care, but right now I'm still saving and investing. Money I spend now is less money I earn later.

I'm already looking at higher initial cost, higher insurance cost, and higher cost for tires, I'd just like to avoid also paying a higher cost per mile in electricity usage.

A heated steering wheel is a serious comfort item for me and it lets me, a single driver with all the other seats empty, not run cabin heat all the time and not wear thicker gloves.

Last edited:

I spoke to the Nashville manager earlier this year before delivering a Model 3 to a family member in the Gatlinburg area. They were actively scouting the Knoxville location at that time. That was just as COVID was settling in which may have pushed things back, but the hope then was to have things prepping to open early next year.

Buy a Tesla. Give them one more data point saying that location is needed. :)

Find somebody local with a Tesla to let you drive it. I've had hundreds of people drive my Teslas. Or rent one for a day using Turo. This isn't actually difficult.

I looked into Turo...doesn’t exist around me. Also, since the nearest Tesla store is a good 4hrs away there is hardly any Tesla’s around here.

admittedly I am starting to see them more often now. I think I have seen about 3 model Ys now. but I am not going to chase them down and ask them to let me drive their vehicle.

It’s not like I live in the middle of nowhere either...the only Tesla stores in NY are in the NYC area unfortunately. There is a service center 1.5 hours from me but most people I know, including myself, don’t want to risk the inconvenience of dealing with a service center so far away. Especially when you read about all of the issues people have with getting loaners, etc.