Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heater blower fan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been a while for me due to family stuff but I'm back to attending to my lady. She's a 2011 #1446

My heat & ac quit a while back. I thought it was maybe 400v controller but ac light would go on, controller light was red and diagnostic menu showed the fan switch was working. Once I got access to the fan I turned on the car and found the fan was on but just barely with no change with the switch. I pulled it appart to get to the plug and wired in 12v directly. The fan came on a little bit more, surged a few times, then quit. Wrestled the fan out and wiggle the brush tabs on the side and tapped the shaft a few times with a wrench and now it blows hard.

To get access;

1 Pull plastics over radiator
2 Pull 400v controller
3 Drain & disonnect the cooler inside the fan shroud by moving the single allan head.
4 disconnect main brake lines at junction block
5 unbolt brake boost
6 disconnect brake pedal via pin
7 Remove entire brake assembly
8 undo two small 8mm nuts on front side of fan shroud with long extensions
9 rotate and wiggle fan shroud up. You may not to remove it to get a few taps in.
10 If you do need to remove it, it has a drain connected on the bottom that looks like wire loom. Reach under and remove.
11 wrestle the fan out and service

• Informative
Reactions: eHorses
Welcome back @twiersum! We miss your colorful (literally and figuratively!) updates so great to hear your back to work on the resurrection of #1446. For the uninitiated, feast your eyes on this and this.

Quick sidebar to this thread... did you ever get the MS motor installed/working?

Welcome back @twiersum! We miss your colorful (literally and figuratively!) updates so great to hear your back to work on the resurrection of #1446. For the uninitiated, feast your eyes on this and this.

Quick sidebar to this thread... did you ever get the MS motor installed/working?

No, decided to wait until my ESS dies completely before I go that route since I'd be pilling a lot more amps. I did decide it's do-able though!