Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heater is not working.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just found out today my heater does not work. It was cold here in LA night. I increased the temperature to 75, then 80 and 85. All this does is increase the fan speed, with cold air coming out. Anyone with similar problem. I just noticed since I owned the car a year ago, I never had heater.

It takes a minute or so for the heater to really get going. When set to heat, if on auto settings, it will direct the flow to the floor. So if you are expecting air flow out of the dash, you have to manually adjust the settings to set the airflow direction. I end up doing this most times when I want to use the heater to thaw myself out in a hurry, as waiting to thaw out from the feet up takes forever vs a blast of hot air on the face / hands holding steering wheel.

I hear you kinged, I live in La Jolla and have hardly ever used the heater. But in the few times I tried at night, it seems to take forever to get any heat and I have to set it to 78 or higher to feel any heat at all.

I emailed my service rep and got this response:

"With warming up the car in the morning, remember to keep in mind, the car is heating (and cooling) the battery pack constantly to make sure the pack stays within optimum range. The car will ALWAYS set the pack as a priority. So as you start the car it will warm (or cool) the pack first before the cabin. Also why in the summer you may notice the car takes a while to cool the cabin; again cooling the pack first is priority."

I question this and to me, it seems the thermostat isn't reading correctly. Even when set to 78, it barely seems like warm air is coming out.

Try out the above suggestions. If you are still having issues, call your SC. There are some known faulty heater units out there. Mine was one of them, though I did not even know it. The local SC contacted me and advised me to come in for an exchange.