TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Heater led comes on when A/C is on, is that normal for Roadster 1.5?

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by Nick_115, May 7, 2016.

1. Nick_115

Nick_115 New Member

When I turn on the A/C in my Roadster 1.5, the A/C light comes on, but often the heater led also comes on by itself a little bit later, which doesn't seem right to me. I thought *maybe* the car uses a fan from the heater unit to help flow A/C air or something, but can't think of any other explanation other than it being a bug. If I press the heater button to turn it off, it turns off, but about 5 seconds later, I can feel a vibration through the pedals. The led behavior (heater led coming on sometimes when I have A/C on) has happened for awhile now (owned my roadster for ~3 years now) and the shop has never been able to tell me whether that's normal for the roadster or not, but the vibration aspect of the behavior is definitely a new behavior. I was driving home from work with A/C on and a few minutes later, heater light came on. Eventually, I turned off heater, and about 4-5 minutes later, I started feeling a vibration coming through the pedals. A few minutes later, I received a "Battery Problem Power Reduced" dialog on the touch panel with ID:600. The car is still under warranty, so I took it into Tesla. They replaced the coolant pump to fix the ID:600 fault, but that didn't solve the "heater light comes on when A/C is running" issue. They said they "cleared" the firmware (I'm sure they didn't "clear" it, thought he might have meant "updated" it, or perhaps the roadster has some PRAM-type settings that they cleared), and they thought that might have fixed it. Nine days later, I got the car back. Three days after that, I turned A/C on for first time since getting car back and the same issue is happening with the heater light coming on. This time, heater light came on almost immediately after I pressed A/C button. I turn off the heater and sure enough, started feeling the vibration.

Has anyone else experienced this with their roadster / know if the led issue is normal / able to offer some suggestions on how to address the problem?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom you may have on this subject.

2. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I also think its a "bug" that the heater LED comes on randomly after the AC button/light is activated. The vibration you feel is normal, that's just the HVAC pump running. It runs with either the AC, Heater, or both are operating. Note that both are used for defrost.

I next would have thought to reboot the VMS module, just if it got stuck in a weird state and holding on to that value. But if they said that they did indeed cleared the firmware, it could mean a reboot of the VMS or an update to some firmware in the system.

Lastly, my gut feeling is that possibly that console board, the thing that the buttons are integrated to could be bad. You may request to have them replace that since this keeps happening and while you're still under warranty.

3. Nick_115

Nick_115 New Member

The thing is that the vibration hasn't always occurred, I only started noticing that recently (the day I got the ID:600 error code). And it goes away when the heater is on, and comes back when I turn the heater off but leave the A/C on.

Good suggestion about the console board, might be the next step to trying to solve this issue before warranty expires.