Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heater makes a “whoosh” noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sitting in my Model Y with the heat set at 70 degrees. Every minute there is a short “whooosh” noise coming from behind the dash. Anyone know if this is normal and what is causing it? Should I schedule a service appointment? I remember it did this last winter as well.

I also hear this sound coming from somewhere in the front, probably passenger side, if I have the car stopped and nothing playing through the sound system. It appears to be about 1 minute or so apart. I haven’t observed it without HVAC on, so I’ll probably try that at some point. I’m guessing it’s supposedly normal, but it doesn’t sound like a good thing. At least it’s usually not audible over other sounds, so I can live with it. Just hoping that if it’s a problem it manifests itself before warranty runs out.

I have it and started noticing it recently. More so since I started using the heater. Sometimes it is about 1 minute apart. Sometimes more. Sometimes it is a subtle “whoosh”, and sometimes it is much louder. So much so that initially I thought the cars were going through the parking garage bumps behind me. It took me a few minutes to figure out that it was the car making it.

I received a notice for service on the display and the SC told me the car needed a set of pressure sensors replaced on the heat pump. In my case, the whooshing sound coincides with a strong vibration from the frunk area. At times, the heat or cooling functions stop working, so I suspect they’re related.

I received a notice for service on the display and the SC told me the car needed a set of pressure sensors replaced on the heat pump. In my case, the whooshing sound coincides with a strong vibration from the frunk area. At times, the heat or cooling functions stop working, so I suspect they’re related.
I also experience a STRONG vibration. I don't know if I'd call it a whoosh sound per-se but I can definitely feel it. It seems to only happen to me if I turn on the heat when my car is cold. On days that I precondition the car before I get in I don't experience this. Anyone else notice a difference from a cold start vs. preconditioned start?

Have the same problem, but the sound is definitely more "whooshing" then just whoosh, it also sound like rushing water in a pipe if that make sense and yes it is rather worrying as it is not normal to me.....Got a chance to talk to the tesla mobile tech who came to do install my gate opener, he told me that there has been a bulletin for this "whooshing" sound issues as more owner are complaining about it. The way he explained it was that now the AC and Heater is in the same system, to generate heat, the compressor work backward so when the freon rush back, it makes that sound. Unfortunately through, there are currently no fix for this issue yet, the tech told me the engineers have make aware of the issue and may try to fudge with the software to fix this.

Have the same problem, but the sound is definitely more "whooshing" then just whoosh, it also sound like rushing water in a pipe if that make sense and yes it is rather worrying as it is not normal to me.....Got a chance to talk to the tesla mobile tech who came to do install my gate opener, he told me that there has been a bulletin for this "whooshing" sound issues as more owner are complaining about it. The way he explained it was that now the AC and Heater is in the same system, to generate heat, the compressor work backward so when the freon rush back, it makes that sound. Unfortunately through, there are currently no fix for this issue yet, the tech told me the engineers have make aware of the issue and may try to fudge with the software to fix this.
Does it sound like this noise? (See link to video) my M3 was making this sound last night and I'm wondering if I should schedule service for it. I believe it's when the heat is on, since it was cold out when I took the video.

20220216_202543_1.mp4

Does it sound like this noise? (See link to video) my M3 was making this sound last night and I'm wondering if I should schedule service for it. I believe it's when the heat is on, since it was cold out when I took the video.

20220216_202543_1.mp4
Disregard previous post. I found out that the noise was happening because the passenger A/C was unsynced from the driver and set at 81°, so the HVAC was constantly trying to cool and heat simultaneously. Once I synced them the A/C was quiet again.

20220216_202543_1.mp4
Yes it is the very same noise, like you said it happen when heater get turned on, however, this will also happen if you set your AC to auto, and whenever the system decide the heater is needed, it can make this sound and it can be loud.

This is the same noise mine makes. It’s rather annoying while idling in the car. Did you ever get it fixed?
Hi @stonemason ,

I had it inspected last year, a month into ownership. I believe it was traced to the heat pump, or something related to a heating element.

My M3 is about to hit 1 year in about a week, and I still hear it. But it doesn’t bug me much anymore since I usually have music going. But it’s a comfort to know it’s harmless.

2021 MYLR, 42k miles, occasionally makes a gentle, whooshing sound, from behind the dash. I figure it's the HVAC system venting pressure, as I've heard it in all my cars for the past 45 years.
I'm more annoyed by the low frequency rumble/vibration that occurs, I believe, as the compressor cycles on and off. It's loud enough to wake me from my power naps when I'm at a supercharger.