Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heater Not Working Properly on both my Model 3 LR's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering why I had no heat in my 22 M3 LR. I had the middle button ( #3 ) selected (no AC) and cool air blew out of the dash vents. When I pressed the up arrow (above) button or the down arrow (below) button , the heat came out of the selected vents and the dash vents just fine. So, I am beginning to think that Tesla may have changed that middle button to only bring in outside air (no heat) to the dash vents when it is the only button selected.

GUID-52603571-37D0-48A9-9B49-49C94C3EB05D-online-en-US.png
Warm air in the face makes me feel tired. Perhaps it's a safety thing?

• Disagree
Reactions: Resist
We had an issue like this last week. Cold morning and really pathetic heat output even with the temp all the way up. Turned off the A/C to no avail. Finally turned the Climate system off (button 1 in the above illustration) and then back on and the system roared to life. Did a system reboot when we got home and the problem has not recurred.

Perhaps. I'm thinking that maybe it's just fresh air vent setting that most cars had for years.
This hasn't been true for any vehicle I've ever owned. I could always have heat come out the vents to my face, and then pick if I wanted it vented from outside air or recirculated air. But there is a recirculated button in our Tesla's so for the center air setting to only be outside air doesn't really make sense.

This hasn't been true for any vehicle I've ever owned. I could always have heat come out the vents to my face, and then pick if I wanted it vented from outside air or recirculated air. But there is a recirculated button in our Tesla's so for the center air setting to only be outside air doesn't really make sense.

My old Ford has a 'VENT' selection. If I turn the thermostat all the way down all I get out of the dash vents is ambient temperature outside air, if I turn the thermostat up I get heat out of those vents. If I turn on the AC it works the same way and the heated AC air removes humidity on cold, damp days.

I have the recirculate button in my Model 3 turned off, so I assume I am always getting outside air that is heated no matter what selection I use.

I took a ride over to my nearby Tesla SC and took a 30 min test drive in a M3 Standard Range 3 hours ago. I wanted to compare the rear drive M3 to my dual motor LR in case I decide to add another Tesla to my garage someday. Of course I tried the climate control on this brand new car with only 100 miles on the odometer. It had the 40.1 update installed. The climate worked exactly the same as on my car; no heat from the dash vents if only the middle button was selected no matter how high I set the temperature.

Just noticed both my Model 3 and my wife's LR's heating is not working properly, possibly after a recent update. When turning the heating to manual on standard front face air, the heat is no where to be found. I find it's just as cold as setting it to 60 or whatever the lowest temp is. If I put it to "Hi" then it blows really hot air. If I put the feet or windshield defroster on 81, it's fine. If I combine those with front facing it's warm but when it's set to front facing alone, it gets cold again. My wifes is just not getting warm at all. Is anyone else having this issue. We are both on version 2022.40.4. I have an appointment tomorrow with Tesla for my brakes and this issue. Hopefully it's just software and can be fixed with an update.

I noticed the same problem last week most likely after software update to the latest. Heat only seems to work on high setting in manual mode with front facing air. Auto worked fine. SC didn't find anything even though its easy to tell just by sitting inside and turning on the air. Even showed it to the tech who then said he will check with his thermometer or whatever.

I just found this thread after starting a new one. I have a 22 Model S LR. I’m running the latest software 2022.44.25.3.

When Manual mode is on (which I prefer to auto), and both front facing and floor vents on, the air is nice and hot. But when I switch off the floor vent, the front vents lose heat and start to throw cold air. I took it to the SC that said diagnostic was fine and their solution was to run in Auto. Problem with Auto is it runs both front and floor vents. I don’t want the floor vents on after a while because the floor vent shoots air right above the accelerator and roasts my right foot, very uncomfortable. (And can’t even move my right foot off the pedal to get relief as regen braking kicks in!)

Has anyone been able to get a fix for this climate control issue? Also for the floor vent, is there any way to change the direction to point even sideways towards the brake pedal vs directly over the accelerator?

I also get cold legs on longer drives. I also suspect the hvac software is trying to be efficient in only sending hot air to the driver seat when I am alone in the car. This will then cause cold air from the back seat to circulate under and around the driver seat giving me cold legs. I will try to make a cold air barrier by sitting on a yoga mat that extends down into the footwell as a shield to the cold air from the back of the car
I have been having this exact issue. Seems to work ok on Auto, but on manual only cold air out of the front. Anyone find a fix?

After I updated to 2022.36.6 my heater stopped blowing hot only when set to manual mode and only when the front vent is on. That is the case for any temperature up to max possible - 81. If i set it to HI, it works great and blasts extremely hot air as you would expect, but that is not usable. If either bottom or top vents are on while front is on hot air comes out even through the front. Also, if set to auto the front vent works fine.

Has anyone seen that? I like manual mode and it worked great for me util this release.
By the way AC (cooling) works fine.

the car is 22 model 3p
I'm having the exact same condition after receiving 10.69.25.2 (2022.44.30.10) yesterday. It occurred right after the software was installed. I drove 1 hour before the update and 1 hour after with outside ambient temperature about 45f. Only began heating after driving about 20 miles unless switched to high. What eventually fixed your 3?

I’ve had this same bug and took it in for service, came back from diagnostics saying everything was fine and that there was nothing wrong.

But good news! Version 2023.2.12 seems to have fixed this bug for me. Been running on manual for the past week and so far only hot air coming from front vents only.

Anyone else having similar results on same version?

Reactions: Cypcode