Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heater Not Working Properly on both my Model 3 LR's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed both my Model 3 and my wife's LR's heating is not working properly, possibly after a recent update. When turning the heating to manual on standard front face air, the heat is no where to be found. I find it's just as cold as setting it to 60 or whatever the lowest temp is. If I put it to "Hi" then it blows really hot air. If I put the feet or windshield defroster on 81, it's fine. If I combine those with front facing it's warm but when it's set to front facing alone, it gets cold again. My wifes is just not getting warm at all. Is anyone else having this issue. We are both on version 2022.40.4. I have an appointment tomorrow with Tesla for my brakes and this issue. Hopefully it's just software and can be fixed with an update.

The heat issue is very likely software, as I had the issue before and others have. Tesla service told me to switch it to auto. The heat worked better but you can't blast the fan with that set. I have been ok with it so far. but haven't tried manual again with the fan on high. I will try it again on a cold morning. See what happens.

Reactions: Cypcode
The heat issue is very likely software, as I had the issue before and others have. Tesla service told me to switch it to auto. The heat worked better but you can't blast the fan with that set. I have been ok with it so far. but haven't tried manual again with the fan on high. I will try it again on a cold morning. See what happens.
I just got my car back from the SC. They said they did thermo tests and it came back fine. I tested it again and there’s clearly a difference. It’s annoying but I guess I’ll just set front facing and feet to get it warm. Setting to Hi is way too hot. Hopefully it’s something they’ll fix. I don’t use auto for the same reason as I like to have the fan blow more air. I’ll update the thread if it gets fixed on a future update.

Reactions: Cypcode
After I updated to 2022.36.6 my heater stopped blowing hot only when set to manual mode and only when the front vent is on. That is the case for any temperature up to max possible - 81. If i set it to HI, it works great and blasts extremely hot air as you would expect, but that is not usable. If either bottom or top vents are on while front is on hot air comes out even through the front. Also, if set to auto the front vent works fine.

Has anyone seen that? I like manual mode and it worked great for me util this release.
By the way AC (cooling) works fine.

the car is 22 model 3p

Auto is my current workaround, but auto does a lot of things I don't like. I hope enough people complain so they can get it back to the previous behavior.

I had a service appointment on Wednesday for the same thing. And after running diagnostics and passing everything, it now works fine. And yes, in auto it works best. However, before all I got was cold air and had to turn it on HI

I had a service appointment on Wednesday for the same thing. And after running diagnostics and passing everything, it now works fine. And yes, in auto it works best. However, before all I got was cold air and had to turn it on HI
I wish I got your SC. Mine said it passed and still does the same thing. I just have to throw on feet or defroster with front facing to get warmer temps. Just don’t like doing that because it doesn’t blow as much air when doing both vents

Reactions: dimovi
Last year I had an issue where the AC wouldn't blow cold air and then a few days later the heat wouldn't get hot. Then out of the blue it all worked fine. Overall I have enjoyed my Model 3 but a software based vehicle has too many bugs that ruin the experience. And honestly, at this point I'm not sure I'd buy another Tesla.

Reactions: father_of_6
I’m hoping there will be a possibility to upgrade the Atom processor at some point 🤷‍♂️
Just like with home computers, every time you upgrade something in it, it quickly becomes obsolete again and needs another upgrade until it can't be upgraded anymore and you have to buy a whole new computer. This is what really bothers me about a software based vehicle.

I would hope at some point it can be upgraded, otherwise what do you do with older trade ins?
Sell them as is. Older Tesla's don't even have cameras for FSD, so they don't have it. But this is why I wish Tesla would stop adding games to my car or at least give us the ability to delete games we will never play. But at some point the new Tesla's will have to evolve with new hardware and more sensors, vision only just won't work for them to be safer than a human driver.

Reactions: 21EV
The sc tested everything and could not find where the problem came from. Finally tested in two other model 3 in service and both had same issue of no heat when middle vent only selected. They will report to HQ for a soft fix. As for my battery drain, it is linked to the car not sleeping in a specific location. So a full reboot and password change is required to fix that and has nothing to do with evaporator.

You can't select only the middle vent in a Model 3. The entire vent stays on together.

He means the entire panel vent, which is the middle of the three vent/position selections (windshield, panel, floor).

I have this same problem on my cars, in addition to the preexisting problem of floor heat roasting after about 20 minutes of driving.

For those of you with heat problems on just panel vent, add the floor vents and you should get good heat.

Reactions: Resist
I was wondering why I had no heat in my 22 M3 LR. I had the middle button ( #3 ) selected (no AC) and cool air blew out of the dash vents. When I pressed the up arrow (above) button or the down arrow (below) button , the heat came out of the selected vents and the dash vents just fine. So, I am beginning to think that Tesla may have changed that middle button to only bring in outside air (no heat) to the dash vents when it is the only button selected.

GUID-52603571-37D0-48A9-9B49-49C94C3EB05D-online-en-US.png