Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heater problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my first Tesla. It's a 2014 Model S P85+. It has the Tech package. It does not have the Winter package.
I've noticed the heater isn't working. I've checked the fuses, these are good. It seems that the windscreen heater does work, but it's not strong.

Thus, obviously I'm suspecting the heater core. Is there a way to know for sure?
Could Tesla do a read-out or something? Or what else if not the core could have failed?

Has anyone here any experience replacing a heater core? Looking at the part it seems to be some kind of resistive load heater. *IF* it's not buried too deep should be an easy fix.

Thanks for any feedback.

• Informative
Reactions: meomyo
I just got my first Tesla. It's a 2014 Model S P85+. It has the Tech package. It does not have the Winter package.
I've noticed the heater isn't working. I've checked the fuses, these are good. It seems that the windscreen heater does work, but it's not strong.

Thus, obviously I'm suspecting the heater core. Is there a way to know for sure?
Could Tesla do a read-out or something? Or what else if not the core could have failed?

Has anyone here any experience replacing a heater core? Looking at the part it seems to be some kind of resistive load heater. *IF* it's not buried too deep should be an easy fix.

Thanks for any feedback.

Cabin heater is a high voltage (pack fed) PTC. Same module does windshield defrost as the vents, so you issue may be the air flow selection doors. Have you tried a full system reset?
If it is the heater, Tesla should be able to remotely diagnose it (likely they can check a malfunctioning door motor also, but not a broken linkage).

Cabin heater is a high voltage (pack fed) PTC. Same module does windshield defrost as the vents, so you issue may be the air flow selection doors. Have you tried a full system reset?
If it is the heater, Tesla should be able to remotely diagnose it (likely they can check a malfunctioning door motor also, but not a broken linkage).

Will try that tonight. Didn't know full system reset was a thing. I'll report back here later. Thanks!

Didn't help. Also, I was wrong about the windscreen heater working, it's not.
I'll reach out to Tesla to see if they can run a diagnostics.

In the meantime, I'd still be interested if someone fixed/replaced their own heater core.
I've the feeling there might be a big discrepancy in a second hand used heater and having Tesla install one for me.

(Electric Stu likes Electric Cars ;-))

Wow, Tesla took their time. But got back to me today (along with a quote for about €1300, incl. labour) saying that it's "the heating element". I'm guessing it's the PTC, but will confirm this with them.

Had a quick look online about these PTC's, so far I've found quite a range of part numbers, but from what it looks like now, the main difference is the wire length, as the DC/DC converter can be in two different spots, depending on generation.

Looking at the Parts Catalog, it looks like it's located behind the glove box, but that's a nice question for a new thread ;-).

What did you do about the software, or did it just work when you plugged it in? I am in need of doing the same thing, what part number did you end up with?

Did not do any firmware upgrade or anything like that (the workshop manual does mention that you should) I used part "6007385-00-J", as that was the only one I could quickly get. My existing part was "6007385-00-G", I'm suspecting there are only small, if any, differences between them, perhaps that's why no firmware update was required. Tesla recommends to replace this part with "1041265-00-E". I did a broad write-up of the swap here: Access to the heater assembly?.

Good luck, and let us know how it went!

Did not do any firmware upgrade or anything like that (the workshop manual does mention that you should) I used part "6007385-00-J", as that was the only one I could quickly get. My existing part was "6007385-00-G", I'm suspecting there are only small, if any, differences between them, perhaps that's why no firmware update was required. Tesla recommends to replace this part with "1041265-00-E". I did a broad write-up of the swap here: Access to the heater assembly?.

Good luck, and let us know how it went!
I appreciate that, theres too much snow on the ground to drive so Im gonna take the car apart today and check out the bad one, while im waiting for the good one in the mail. maybe theres a way to fix it, who knows. I'll definitely keep you posted, thanks for your help.

Hey!
Can't wait to hear what happened here, please share some info :D
So I got the heater out with a little bit of effort, not to bad though. I did need to pull the center counsel and the glove box etc. the heater came out I had no way of testing it but it looked like it was in good shape. Nothing obviously bad on it. So I started to think about what was really bad on it and went head first into the dc-dc converter. Which had bad fuses on it. I started another post if you click my user name you can read about that over there I’m on my phone or id post the link.

2014 p85 here

working on the swap now. I pulled a "6007385-00-G" ptc out of my car and sourced a "6007385-00-J" from a p90D. Right away I can see the cable is shorter on the "6007385-00-J". I'm thinking it is to short to reach the wheel well and will probably swap the power cable from the -G just to be safe.