Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MDS

Dec 2, 2012
Detroit
Can someone tell me the following:

1. How does the heater system work
2. How long will it take (on average) to heat the vehicle to 72 F if it is say 20 deg outside
3. How much energy will it use

Thx, M

MDS,

1. The heater is a heat pump. As I understand it, in addition to the heat pump there is a heat exchanger wherein excess heat from the drivetrain may be routed to the cabin--although I'm not 100% sure of this.

2. I have found the heater to be very effective. It takes about 15-30 seconds to warm up, but the cabin gets warm quickly after that. Probably less than 5 minutes to get up to 72F. Compare that to an ICE sitting in the cold, in which you might have the car running for 5 or more minutes to start getting decent waste heat from the motor to begin heating up the cabin. I've experienced this fairly quick warmup at temperatures right around freezing--however we haven't had 20 degF weather yet this year so I can't specifically answer your question.

3. The heater uses around 3-5 kW of power. Given about 5 minutes of use, that's about 0.5 kWh. Rough numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW: For really cold temperatures in which heat pumps lose their effectiveness, there may be a resistive heating element as a backup--although I'm not sure of that. Resistive heating is less efficient than a heat pump and therefore energy usage would go up accordingly.

As I understand it, in addition to the heat pump there is a heat exchanger wherein excess heat from the drivetrain may be routed to the cabin--although I'm not 100% sure of this.

About a year ago when I went to one of the Beta showings, I was told the same thing. The comment was that Tesla was working very hard not to throw any energy "overboard", including heat from the battery, inverter and motor if it could be utilized, for example, for cabin heat.

As @ChadS said, yes. This will be easy to do once the smartphone app is released later this month.

With the current set up I have gone out to preheat my car 2 times when it was icy outside. I just left the drivers door cracked so it isn't closed all the way and turned on the defrosters and seat heat. Less than 5 minutes and the car is very warm and fully thawed.

ANYONE DRIVING IN SNOW YET?
Looking for someone who lives in an area with snow. I have seen the factory produced video on vehicle handling in the snow, but looking for some real life experiences. I live in Michigan and its time to finalize for my delivery. This will most likely be my main vehicle and hoping I will still be able to navigate when there is snow falling.
Can anyone provide some real life recommendations or their own experiences. I have been told the 21" tires should be changed out for 19" in the winter and an all weather (front) snow tire(rear0 would be recommended. Traction?

I have found that I have to turn the heat up to around 80 deg F to keep it comfortable for me. What settings are you guys using to get the cabin comfortable at 72 deg F.

I know comfortable is subjective but my old ICE subaru would just crank heat out at 70 and most times I had to turn it down. I have tried recirc and vent and both seem to keep the car chilly when set to 72 with the outside temp at 40 deg F. Auto has a mind of its own so I haven't used it too much as I don't feel that it works that well.

I have been pleased with my auto setting at 72*F. I occasionally customize. There is definitely a resistive element. When I sit in the car and turn on the defroster heat is nearly instantaneous. I expect that some cars have defective thermostats or clutter or a new software version that has an inferior climate control. I have the original still.

I've been driving in the range mode, which reduces energy to the heater and uses the seat heaters. Seems to work fine for me. I had one morning drive last week where it was 7f. That day I set to normal mode, as it was simply too cold in the car. The battery gave me all sorts of warnings about warming itself that day.

When I went out to the car ten hours later it warmed up amazingly fast. I was impressed.

I've been driving in the range mode, which reduces energy to the heater and uses the seat heaters. Seems to work fine for me. I had one morning drive last week where it was 7f. That day I set to normal mode, as it was simply too cold in the car. The battery gave me all sorts of warnings about warming itself that day.

When I went out to the car ten hours later it warmed up amazingly fast. I was impressed.

I have driven a Volt every day for over two years. In the best of spring weather I got 40 miles per charge. In the winter I am lucky if I get 27 miles a charge.
I really like the Volt as it is comfortable, great handing and some what adequate acceleration. But the heater is unsatisfactory and greatly reduces miles per charge.
I am waiting for my Model S performance.
How quickly does the heater in the Model S give adequate heat?
Today in CT the tempeture was a high of 26 and the seat heater was my salvation as the heater was weak-- but my
charge was reduced to 20 miles on the charge and the gas engine kept on cutting in as the read out on the dash read gas "engine running because of low tempeture".
How will the Model S react to the sub-freezing tempetures
in producing heat for the driver and passengers when the outside tempeture does not rise above 25, which is the forecast for next week?
Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

I have driven a Volt every day for over two years. In the best of spring weather I got 40 miles per charge. In the winter I am lucky if I get 27 miles a charge.
I really like the Volt as it is comfortable, great handing and some what adequate acceleration. But the heater is unsatisfactory and greatly reduces miles per charge.
I am waiting for my Model S performance.
How quickly does the heater in the Model S give adequate heat?
Today in CT the tempeture was a high of 26 and the seat heater was my salvation as the heater was weak-- but my
charge was reduced to 20 miles on the charge and the gas engine kept on cutting in as the read out on the dash read gas "engine running because of low tempeture".
How will the Model S react to the sub-freezing tempetures
in producing heat for the driver and passengers when the outside tempeture does not rise above 25, which is the forecast for next week?
Thank you.