Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heathrow or Milton Keynes...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mark_T

Nov 1, 2017
UK
I'm getting closer to making a decision on a new MS or MX purchase.

Both Heathrow and Milton Keynes stores are about the same distance from me, anything good or bad to say about either of these stores/service centres that might tip the balance one way or the other?

Hi Mark,

I would avoid Heathrow they are very busy with deliveries and might not be able to offer you the time you need. I have heard good things about Milton Keynes!

Don’t forget to use a referral code to get free supercharging for life and £375 voucher off accessories , feel free to use my code Unlimited Tesla Supercharging and Extended Solar Warranty

If you have any questions let me know! What spec are you going for?

Thanks for the referral code offers guys, I'm keeping a list of those who have been helpful on my path to a purchase and I'll reach out ask for a code once I'm 100% ready to place the order.

@sidmini - I'm still stuck between the X and the S right now, we are replacing two cars at the same time, one will be a Tesla, the other probably an Audi. Just have to figure out which will be the larger and which the smaller, although in fairness even the S is hardly 'small' :)

Only certainty is the Tesla will be 100D with Enhanced AP and Premium Upgrade, probably blue with cream interior. If it is an X it will be the 7 seat version.

Hi Mark,

Depends which Audi you were thinking off? The S has massive interior room especially when you have the seats down it’s a cargo dream boat.

It all boils down to what is most important for you in the car the actual difference is length and width of both cars is about the same.

Model S - sleek, sexy, quicker, lower down suspension, more efficient. Not as many gadgets as the X.

Model X - 7 seater, high driving position, not as efficient, excellent head room and windscreen visibility, cool falcon wing doors great for kids or elederly to get a clear passage in. Not a massive boot if you are using all 7 seats. If you are carrying more than 5 people it has to be the X.

I hope this helps some of the Decision making they are both great cars!

Thanks again for the comments, it is the exceptional space in the S that is causing the hesitation.

It really is large enough to satisfy our 'large' car needs for 95% of all occasions and it is just a little narrower than the X, but of course still a wide car by UK standards.

Logic dictates that is should be the S, but I suspect it will come down to the test drives in both, as although the Tesla will be primarily my car, my wife does prefer the higher seating position and visibility of the X.

Hence this thread as I want to do arrange the test drives at the preferred sales location.

My wife will probably end up in an Audi TT, and the S will handle the vast majority of our other needs as we are rarely requiring 5 seats and would almost never use 7, so it is mostly about load capacity which the S has to a surprising degree given the body shape.

I agree you will be surprised at the boot space of the S. I regularly ferry my son's family of 4 to and from Heathrow with all their luggage and have never yet resorted to using the Frunk, which I forget exists.

Thanks again for the comments, it is the exceptional space in the S that is causing the hesitation.

It really is large enough to satisfy our 'large' car needs for 95% of all occasions and it is just a little narrower than the X, but of course still a wide car by UK standards.

Logic dictates that is should be the S, but I suspect it will come down to the test drives in both, as although the Tesla will be primarily my car, my wife does prefer the higher seating position and visibility of the X.

Hence this thread as I want to do arrange the test drives at the preferred sales location.

My wife will probably end up in an Audi TT, and the S will handle the vast majority of our other needs as we are rarely requiring 5 seats and would almost never use 7, so it is mostly about load capacity which the S has to a surprising degree given the body shape.

I would echo the Milton Keynes preference over Heathrow. I haven't used either (Gatwick for me) but Heathrow is acknowledged as having the worst service of all the SC's. The staff are simply overwhelmed and although they do their best it falls well short of what you would expect.

As an aside my daughter has a TT and the storage space is surprisingly large. Unlike the rear seats which are ok for a pigmy, just!

Given what you've said about rarely requiring 5 seats, does that mean you regularly use 4? If yes, then for me that's a tick in the X box. Although the rear bench seat in the S now has bolsters it is not a comfortable place to be for a long journey. The seat is too low to the floor, and there are no grab handles nor a central arm rest. My grown up daughters don't like it much, but as I calculated they spend a max 3% of my driving time in the back I ignored them ;).

If you don't often carry 4, or when you do it's only shortish journeys then the S will be fine.

Storage space in the S is huge and yes it's a wide car and I had sleepless nights about that, but it's fine. The X is considerably bigger though and doesn't handle as well as the S, which given the shape is hardly a surprise. Subjective too, but I much prefer the styling of the S, to me the X looks like a bloated S.

Judging by the posts I see on the closed Facebook group the X still suffers from build quality issues, which have largely been ironed out on the S. Forums do tend to attract the negative reports but there are many more about the X than the S.

Hope this helps, and which to get - what a great problem to have! :D

I have to also agree the 6 seater with the individual seats is very comfy, makes it feel like a private jet. If you want sportier handling and more feedback from the steering I would get the Model S!

The test drive will definitely help you find the better vehicle for you

I did consider the 6 seater X, but compared to the 7 seater version the load space is poor since they added the folding bench to the 7 seat version.

If we go for the X then picking 7 seats over 5 seemed like a 'no brainer' as you give up very little storage space for the extra 2 seats so even if they were only used rarely it is worth it to have the option of a long load space and still carry up to 5 people with one side of the 2nd row down and one 3rd row seat up.

although in fairness even the S is hardly 'small'
My wife will probably end up in an Audi TT

My wife won't take the MS anywhere she has to park - multi-storey / station. Not because it might get scratched, but because its such a squeeze to get in and out of (both the parking space and the car!) For anyone used to e.g. a Range Rover I don't suppose its a problem.

Only certainty is the Tesla will be 100D
Logic dictates that is should be the S, but I suspect it will come down to the test drives in both

If range is a factor then the X won't go as far as the S ...

... assuming 16C, no wind, dry, 70MPH (using A Better Route Planner figures)

MS-100 = 273 miles
MX-100 = 229 miles

If you are carrying more than 5 people it has to be the X

There is an option for 2 seats in the boot of the S, for young kids. I have read that fresh-air in the back, and backward-facing, is an issue ... but I've also seen YouTube where parents with 4 kids drove half way across USA and swapped the kids back-seats-with-boot-seats for the return journey, and the kids seemed completely happy. Forgoes boot space though ... so in my book it would be a compromise ...

... but its not the same experience as 7-seater People Carrier. We've got one of those too (ICE) and use it for all sorts of "haulage", including e-bay purchase collection :rolleyes:, 4-up going e.g. skiing in the alps, more spacious (than sedan) for that type of journey, and for luggage; also when the kids were smaller ferrying 6-kids for a birthday party / whatever was helpful.

in the S now has bolsters it is not a comfortable place to be for a long journey. The seat is too low to the floor

My elderly inlaws struggle to get in and out of the low MS seating

Thanks for the referral code offers guys, I'm keeping a list of those who have been helpful on my path to a purchase and I'll reach out ask for a code once I'm 100% ready to place the order.

@sidmini - I'm still stuck between the X and the S right now, we are replacing two cars at the same time, one will be a Tesla, the other probably an Audi. Just have to figure out which will be the larger and which the smaller, although in fairness even the S is hardly 'small' :)

Only certainty is the Tesla will be 100D with Enhanced AP and Premium Upgrade, probably blue with cream interior. If it is an X it will be the 7 seat version.
I was in the same boat as you. Have you driven both? The models s is a superior drive with better performance and is more fun and a driver's car, however you can ignore the presence and utility of a model X. I went the sensible route and ordered a model x, black, white seats, 6 seater, 22" rims and auto pilot. :) you will be more than happy with either.

Thanks for the comments Sam, just as my heart was edging closer to the S you bring my head back to the X...

I think to be perfectly honest the one thing that is causing me to be hesitant about the X is the sheer size of the vehicle.

It is not like I haven't had large cars in the past, and it is not like the S is 'small' but it seems like those few extra inches on the width might make all the difference at times.

How do you find it for UK driving with our multi-storey car parks and small spaces?

Hi Mark

I was in the same boat as you. I'm getting two cars.

My options were :

1. A model S for the sheer drive, and emotional pleasure I get from driving it. The performance is incredible. And get a range rover velar for the utility/visual appeal

2. A model S for its road presence/utility/falcon doors and 6 seat config. And get a porsche Cayman for fun and performance even though it's slower than the model X75D

I went for the model X and the porsche, but my wife played a big part in the decision. If it was just mely decision, i would have gone for the Model S and the velar.

Regarding the size of the model X, it's really manageable. It actually feels like a mid size SUV when sitting in the drivers seat. The front and side visibility is very good and with all the sensors the model X has, it's easy to park. Don't let the size put you of the model X.

You will get much more driving pleasure from the S, but you will feel more special in the model X. You just need to decide what means more to you. Or your Mrs ;-)

Thanks for the comments Sam, just as my heart was edging closer to the S you bring my head back to the X...

I think to be perfectly honest the one thing that is causing me to be hesitant about the X is the sheer size of the vehicle.

It is not like I haven't had large cars in the past, and it is not like the S is 'small' but it seems like those few extra inches on the width might make all the difference at times.

How do you find it for UK driving with our multi-storey car parks and small spaces?

Regarding parking you probably be able to park the X in the same spot as the S. But it is a pain to park in small car parking spaces compared to something small like an i3.

So I've just got rid of both my bmw i8 and the i3 to replace with a model X and a RR Velar.

I loved every moment I had with my i8 UNTIL I drove the model S for the 1st time. Dont ask me why I went for the X because I'll probably have a bust up with my Mrs for letting her influence my decision. Lol

My wife would not change from her TT to anything else but we chose the S because in my eye the X is a big blob.

Its all a personal choice and after driving and seeing them close up, not a decision to be made at the keyboard.