Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heathrow or Milton Keynes...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree with that 100%, I think I've met all the staff at the MK store now and my wife and daughter are loving the frequent opportunities to buy up the entire stock of the 'Lush' store location opposite Tesla :)

They are both amazing cars, you will be very happy with either. The X does make you feel special with few more gadgets but the S is better as a drivers car. Parking either car in UK parking spaces has been fine and actually probably easier in an X due to the auto-adjusting falcon wing doors, I think they will even open in a 5 inch gap! Also parking is a doddle with autopark, it just does it for you even in spaces you would not dare to try, the trouble is getting out! you have to be a little more careful in multi storey car parks and I would take them with a wider turn than usual. The 6'6 feet restrictions are a no-no but some have done it, I wouldn't dare in the X. 7feet are no problem. The 22 inch look awesome but you have to be careful with the kerbs, but this is the same with a range rover with 22's

So... I was passing MK today so I dropped in to check the seat-belts on the S.

I've seen a few comments that due to the lack of adjustment on the top seatbelt mount, some people can find it a little uncomfortable.

So I drop into the store and hop into the S.

I go to buckle up the seatbelt and find the buckle is the wrong way around. It happens, people twist the belts, but no, on closer inspection the belt has actually been assembled the wrong way around.

I go check the passenger side and sure enough that too is the wrong way around as well.

I call the assistant over and after a close inspection he agrees, pointing out that the piece that should prevent the belt from abrading the side of the seat is against the frame instead of nearest to the seat.

That car has been in the showroom for 6 months and apparently nobody has noticed before today... :)

Reactions: WannabeOwner
We bought our X from MK and the service has been very good. Even replaced a tyre FOC when I picked up a nail in the first couple of hundred miles. Really nice gesture I thought.

The car itself has been brilliant and no issues in the first 1500 miles. The widely reported quality issues seem to have been addressed or I've been very lucky! The X is a big car when parking, but feels surprisingly compact on the road. The interior space is great when travelling with the kids and so relaxing to drive. We chose the 7-seater for maximum versatility and I prefer the folding bench as a divider between the boot and interior. Access to the rearmost seats is more difficult than the 6-seater, but we don't use them enough for it to be a problem. The sliding/folding middle bench is both simple and effective.

If I was looking for a driver's car I'd probably choose the S over the X, but the X is a brilliant family car. We have a second sports car anyway (classic Porsche 911) and yet the X is considerably quicker off the mark! For a large SUV it's seriously quick, even in 75D form. I drove the P100D and decided the extra performance was totally unnecessary for this type of car. Also considered the 100D, but we don't need the extra range, 150 miles is plenty for our needs.

@Peteski Good summary. I've had "American style" service gestures too, and I didn't find any faults on collection (but I would not describe myself as fastidious in that department :rolleyes:).

Only time I ever use P-mode is mates-demos (did all those in the first couple of months) and if I'm in a hurry on back roads where there are limited chances to overtake. With a passenger its too violent (if they aren't expecting it) ... as it is if all the loose items in the cabin aren't nailed down! Wifee and I have had initial talks about "the next one" (no rush, 2 years and will be approaching 50K miles, and no reason to chop it in at 3 years old / 70K as we did with ICE) and the primary option would be 100D for range (we'd pretty much be able to make all trips without Supercharge then) just left me thinking "would I miss that occasional burst of speed"? Paying oodles more for DL over D would sharpen my thinking pretty quickly!

Although ... Roadster-2 has good range I hear ... :D

@Peteski Good summary. I've had "American style" service gestures too, and I didn't find any faults on collection (but I would not describe myself as fastidious in that department :rolleyes:).

That's a good point on how fussy different people can be regarding faults. My X does actually have a couple of trivial issues that can be addressed later i.e. the leather on the trim panel under the glovebox is a bit loose and the passenger side FWD is fractionally out of alignment. I will get both these items sorted in due course, but really there is nothing that detracts from my everyday enjoyment of the car. The long list of other reported X faults has not shown up on my car to date.

Thanks for the help and comments everyone, all were greatly appreciated.

After careful consideration though, I think I'm going to take a good look at the Jaguar I-Pace before I make a decision as I'm having a hard time getting comfortable with the missing 'modern' features (matrix headlights, blind-spot monitoring, 360 camera view, HUD etc.) and general QC/build quality of the Tesla beyond the outstanding power-train.

Add in the repeated comments about problems getting bodywork repairs done in reasonable time-frames, the known issues that seem to drag on for months without a fix (currently the suspension rattle on new MS for example), and I feel I need to at least look closer at the most credible offering from traditional car manufacturers before a final choice.

I may of course return after looking around, but for now I'll park this thread here and thanks once again for the input from you all.

Thanks for the help and comments everyone, all were greatly appreciated.

After careful consideration though, I think I'm going to take a good look at the Jaguar I-Pace before I make a decision as I'm having a hard time getting comfortable with the missing 'modern' features (matrix headlights, blind-spot monitoring, 360 camera view, HUD etc.) and general QC/build quality of the Tesla beyond the outstanding power-train.

Add in the repeated comments about problems getting bodywork repairs done in reasonable time-frames, the known issues that seem to drag on for months without a fix (currently the suspension rattle on new MS for example), and I feel I need to at least look closer at the most credible offering from traditional car manufacturers before a final choice.

I may of course return after looking around, but for now I'll park this thread here and thanks once again for the input from you all.

That's fair enough and if the I-Pace is big enough for your needs, then the Model X is probably going to feel overly large as it's a full class size up - like comparing an Audi Q7 with a Q5 or a Porsche Cayenne vs Macan.

The I-Pace does look good on paper, but the interior shots I've seen looked a bit disappointing (looked a bit utilitarian like a Disco Sport) and I wouldn't want to be touring around the UK in one without the SC network. As for quality and service, JLR doesn't inspire much confidence on that front either. All manufacturers have their quality and service issues (JLR forums are tanked full of them!) and Jaguar are definitely moving out of their comfort zone in introducing their first full EV. How will the service network deal with those, given they are franchised dealers and this will be a niche car for them? Don't get me wrong, I hope it's a great success, but I wouldn't want to risk buying an early example. One thing I can say though, is that if I was forced to buy a Jag SUV I would choose the I-Pace over all their ICE offerings. Having had a taste of Tesla EV power, there's no going back!

Reactions: Mark_T
problems getting bodywork repairs done in reasonable time-frames

I don't know much about such things, but I imagine that at 20K units p.a. production run for i-Pace won't have many spare panels floating around the world either.

missing 'modern' features

Tesla has a bucket full of its own of course ... maybe Jag will have all those too ... but entirely depends on your needs as to which are important

Summon (e.g. out of a puddle, or a tight garage), scheduled events (mine include being able to ask Alexa to get the car ready for departure [including warm / cool it / charge it], I can also schedule charging to stop at 90% (overnight) and then resume to 100% an hour or so before departure and put the cabin climate control on 15 minutes before departure. And reset back from 100% to 90% charge limit shortly thereafter. If I forget to do that I automatically get an email, that evening, to remind me.And so on.

Much of that is done with 3rd party stuff, of which there is plenty - I prefer 3rd party phone app to Tesla one, but importantly there is choice. Even to the point of writing your own, if that's appeals to you ... the APP will show me a walking route to wherever my wife parked & abandoned the car ... instead of her having to explain it to me, and allow me to keep an eye on charging whilst I'm having a coffee - in case it tails off dramatically because of an overheating fault on the "pump". That's rare. but blinking annoying when you go back to the car and its only partially charged, when you could have moved it to another pump ... if you had known.

Maybe Jag will have all that stuff ...

... I was impressed with the i-Pace's pushed-forward cabin, making more space inside than the outside would suggest (and I expect good visibility of where the front corners are, when manoeuvring), and all four feet are properly at each corner, which bodes well for the handling, and the silly little "one A4 pad" space under the bonnet on the original marketing video has seemed larger on recent reviews I've seen. Whilst spacious in the back the reviewer's thighs were not "on" the seat (Tesla has that problem too). The pre-heating of incoming air, using heat-pump, is a good idea too, and should help Range in Winter (i.e. warming the battery more quickly, and with less energy, although of course when properly cold the COP of a heat pump teds towards being the same as resistance heating, but "Good in UK" I reckon). Likely that i-Pace regen is stronger than Tesla too. More reviews, in particular from somewhat longer, on-road, journalist-reviews will shed more light, and answer some of my questions too: What's the actual real-world range? Rapid charge taper? A/C Charging has disappointing low max-limit.. Will its "stay in lane" be equivalent to AP on the motorway (which is pretty much all I use AP for). Battery degradation will have to wait for a long term test of course, but if Jag give as generous a warranty on that, as Tesla do, then not the owner's problem :)

Personally I'm not mad about all the knobs on the dash. Very familiar to existing car drivers though ... but having had Tesla for 2 years I've become very comfortable with minimalist and button-less-dash, and no door pockets accumulating old rags and Coke cans ... Quite likely that voice recognition will upgrade (i.e. on the current model I own) to the point where I won't be pushing any buttons. Long gone are the days when I learnt to drive and my Father expected me to be able to select any function without taking my eyes of the road. Those 4-button-presets on the Radio made that easy, but who today wants only 4-station-music? :eek:, so either loads-of-buttons, or voice-control, are the current contenders for control of a complex dashboard, and minimalist is the better starting point for voice-control.

Before you make you mind up I recommend you talk Tesla into lending you one for the weekend, so you can try all those features yourself. I don't think they normally set up Phone APP for loaners, but I expect they will if you ask (Journalists have had that made available to them).

Again, thanks for the further feedback.

I'm not fully 'gone' at this point and given the length of the queue for the i-Pace there is plenty of time for Tesla to make a few more updates that could swing the balance back the other way.

I'll be able to get a closer look at the i-Pace in a few weeks time, so that will be my next check-point.

For sure Tesla has a few things the Jag will lack and I'll have time to decide if any of them are actually important to me.

So, no rush and plenty of time to review and reconsider... :)

Interesting the different ways people view the same cars.

For me at least the passenger space in the i-Pace seemed larger than in the MS, and it was a lot easier to get in and out of the rear seats.

Load space is bigger in the MS though for sure.

If you come down on the side of i-Pace, and you will go "out of range" more than once in a blue-moon, I recommend you try out a "3rd party charger" before you commit (e.g. with a mate who has an EV [of any flavour]). I have no doubt it will improve, and maybe CCS is going to be wondrous in comparison, but although I haven't used masses of them I don't think I have had a single occasion where I connected, and disconnected, without it taking 5 minutes of more of faffing about with the phone APP; nearly 50% of the time I have had to call the company and ask them to connect (e..g no network signal); and of those probably 50% of the time they haven't been able to ... and the other 50% it has taken several minutes. Typically very few stalls at each location too, and because of slow charging speed the cars are likely to be there for a while - I've plugged into Type-2 for 10 hours to get charged (albeit that I did it overnight in case anyone else needed the charger during the day)

When I set off on a trip where I will need 3rd party charge I look at Plugshare, to see what my options are, and it is worrying that there is not infrequently a recently dated comment saying "Bust" or "failed to connect". by the by PlugShare has good location mapping, whereas (for example) I've known Charge-your-Car's APp to be more than a mile out - which of course means you would probably never find it if all you were relying on was their APP ...

... and so it goes on I'm afraid.

With RFID I expect its better, but of course you will need one of those for each Vendor you use. The coming "use credit card" will improve things too for adhoc use.

For folk that never/rarely drive out of range, and in particular for anyone who has previous owned, and liked, a Jag, I think the i-Pace is a cracker.

I don't disagree with regard to the current state of the 50kW network and fortunately I do fit into the 'once in a blue moon' category, but I suspect that the next 12-18 months are going to see some significant changes in the quality and availability of 100kW+ facilities both in the UK and especially in the rest of Europe.

I do feel the emphasis that Jaguar are placing on the Chargemaster 'partnership' is a huge mistake though, that is not where I'm expecting the improvements to come from.

I suspect that the next 12-18 months are going to see some significant changes in the quality and availability of 100kW+ facilities both in the UK and especially in the rest of Europe.

I hope so ... but (even with Government backing) there doesn't seem to be the Gusto that Tesla charger-rollout has.

Electrify America (the penalty that VW is "paying" in USA for DieselGate) has been slow to start, and now at the point of launch seems to have stalled for some reason. And they seem to be only rolling out sites with only a couple-of-chargers.

Whoever is doing it in Europe needs to be rolling out 20-station chargers (or at least doing the infrastructure where the adjacent space is reserved for extra pedestals).

I'm just not "getting" why this isn't happening (or maybe it is? and I'm ill informed?)

Tesla has opened 21 sites in EU already this year and 188 stalls, and 60 sites in USA :eek: (if I've done my maths right ...)

If I may, I would suggest the X is more likely to hold its value if this is important to you.
Due to a) SUVs generally holding their value better, and b) the MS being an older model.
Even with that though you can expect both the M and X to recieve significant updates in future broadly in line with each other due to their similarities.

I would say dont worry about the size difference for driving on the road as they are both big wide cars.

For sales MK or Heathrow are fine, MK definitely is a nice environment as others have said, for service though MK is a bit of a disaster right now, however they have a new manager in there who is trying to sort it out and scale the oepration up to meet the growth in demand, so by the time you need it hopefully all sorted.
That said you can buy/service any mix of centres as it is all electronically managed via Tesla.

It appears we all have to say we have a referral code these days, so I feel duty bound to say I have one too which you are welcome to use along with any goodies you can get from it.