Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heating issue: right front heating vents pump out cold air

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am now in that limbo period that some Tesla owners out there may be familiar with. It goes by the name "Waiting for Denver."

As in, I am waiting for Denver to contact me to schedule what will hopefully be the final repair that actually fixes my heating issues. It occurred to me today that I have spent the entire winter so far without a functioning heater in my Model S. That's after one service center visit and four separate Ranger visits totaling about 12 hours of on-site diagnosis and troubleshooting.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Aaaaaand here it is February 10th, a week has gone by, and not a peep from the Denver Tesla Service Center.

This morning I got a call from one of the Tesla Rangers who'd come up to my house and worked on the car twice. He was wondering if anyone from Tesla Denver had contacted me about making arrangements to have my car flat-bed towed to Denver for service.

I told him, nope. Not a peep. Totally par for the course for Denver. I figured I would never hear from them. They're that disorganized. They were this way last summer when I had the car towed there. I am surprised nothing has been corrected.

Well, the Ranger was kinda shocked and not too happy about how Denver is dropping the ball. I suspect I will get a call from Denver today.

UPDATE:

Aaaaaand it's Feb 26th. My car's heating problems began around Thanksgiving. Still there. Basically, the entire winter.

This morning I tested the heat and it behaved its usual random way: front two vents put out ice cold air, driver's vents put out cool-to-lukewarm air, IF the fan speed is kept to 1 or 2. Anything higher and driver's vents put out cooler and then cold air. After a while things get better. Usually around 20-30 min mark, then there's heat.

Luckily, weather's been way better, in fact, unseasonably warm all Feb. 50s, going to 60s during day. So, little need for heat now!

Anyway, at 330pm this afternoon a Denver Tesla Service Center Ranger showed up with the big flat-bed trailer. Loaded up my car, and away he went.

Thanks to Remote Access, I can watch the car's progress in my iPhone app. (Man do I love that feature.) He's now north of Trinidad, CO, en-route to Denver, from whence he left early this morning. Think about that: he had to drive from Denver to me, load my car up, turn around, and drive back to Denver. That is like 20 hours, maybe more, with rest and food and gas stops here and there. All this because the damn state of New Mexico saw fit to put some laws into place to protect auto dealerships but in the process ban Tesla from opening a damn service center or two in the state. I'm leading the drive in this state to fix that. The New Mexico Automotive Dealers Association is going to change their tune by the time my group is done with 'em.

UPDATE (hopefully final one):

Car is home. 8-hr flatbed journey today from Denver.

For the heating issue the solution was a replacement remote climate control module (CONTROLLER - HVAC RCCM).

They also put in a new drive unit (!) (1002633-00-Q this time), and replaced brake vacuum booster with new unit.

Hopefully this is the end of this months-long saga.

UPDATE (hopefully final one):

Car is home. 8-hr flatbed journey today from Denver.

For the heating issue the solution was a replacement remote climate control module (CONTROLLER - HVAC RCCM).

They also put in a new drive unit (!) (1002633-00-Q this time), and replaced brake vacuum booster with new unit.

Hopefully this is the end of this months-long saga.

I'm crossing my fingers for you. What an odd failure.

Well, well, well.

Guess what's flaky again. Last week the morning temp dipped into the 40s and I turned on the heat for the first time since like March. And I was very, very disappointed to discover the EXACT SAME PROBLEM that robbed me of heat in the car all of last winter, from November thru March!

I tested it several times last week: exact same symptoms. No heat at all, even after 30 minutes set to HI, fan set to 11, coming out of the right front dash vents for the passenger seat, and only lukewarm heat occasionally coming out of the driver's side dash vents. This is exactly the way it was starting last November. Unbelievable.

I was already planning to drive 400 miles to the Denver service center just to hand over a credit card to buy an ESA (because New Mexico owners are not allowed to buy an ESA online, or over the phone, or by check, or by mail, or by FedEx or any other way than in person in a state that has an actual service center... blame the laws in New Mexico that ban Tesla outright)... but now I have a reason to drop the car off and have them work on the heat. I don't relish the idea of going another winter at 7200ft altitude without any heat for months on end. I'm hoping Tesla just says the hell with it, put in an entirely new heating system and don't even bother diagnosing what is causing the failure. (Then again, maybe it's software and not the heating system... I dunno).

Took the car to Denver's service center this week. They discovered that yes, the heating system has problems and needs a complete replacement including the wiring harness for the heating system. And guess what. There is only one set of such parts in the United States. And it is in Orlando. And the service center in Orlando is closed do to, um, Hurricane Matthew. And FedEx is closed in Florida. And all the airports are closed.

And so they rigged something up in the car so I get heat, but the heater still isn't fixed. Which means my car has to do another 800 mile trek to Denver to get fully fixed. Sigh.

Tesla, you don't keep *ANY* spare parts around at all!? Even in Fremont?

Meanwhile, I picked the car up last night at the Denver service center, drove off to pick up some dinner, and while in the drive-thru lane, noticed something was wrong with the driver's side dashboard panel -- it was not re-installed correctly (they'd taken much of the dash apart to work on the heating system), and was loose. So I had to dash back through stop-and-go Denver traffic (glad I don't live here) and have the service techs take a look. Glad they stayed open as it was now after 7pm!

Always an adventure in Denver, always.

I bought car in CA in 2013. It is kind of lemony when you consider all the work done on it over the years. I do love the car still. Just bought the Extended Service Agreement on the car. I hope to buy a newer S some day.
Sorry to resurrect this old thread. What was the final resolution to the problem. I have the exact model year wit the same exact problem. Thanks

Sorry to resurrect this old thread. What was the final resolution to the problem. I have the exact model year wit the same exact problem. Thanks

I've had this problem a month ago and found out two of my (passenger and driver) duct actuators had error reported (hidden errors, hidden alerts actually) and I narrowed that when two or more actuators are reporting malfunctions heater will not kick in for what I assume is safety reasons.
I checked my actuators and they seemed to move normally so I concluded that they probably have been out of family once and that raised the error (latched) and the error stays there until reset.
The best way to reset those errors is to install a firmware update as it resets the thermal controller (and HVAC RCCM) responsible for those.
And BOOM heat was back.

Precise hidden alerts I had:
THC_w0195_RCCMlefttempAct
THC_w0195_RCCMRighttempAct
THC_d0021_RCCMActuator

I did a thermal system test and it heated normally the cabin, but in normal user mode heat was not available until I cleared those alerts.