TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Heating or cooling?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by WARP 10, Nov 7, 2016.

1. WARP 10

WARP 10 Member

We're about to take a road trip and I was wondering, since it will be getting colder, which affects range more, heating or air conditioning. I have experience with the latter but not the former. I have heard using the seat heaters is more efficient than the climate system.

2. St Charles

St Charles Member

I believe the consensus is that heating is a greater impact to range over A/C

3. brantse

brantse Member

This, by far. Cooling impact is so small, it can almost be ignored. (Granted, I live in the NE, so have never driven much with temps much north of 90). Heating, combined with periods in which the car sits outside for long stretches, can be very signficant on energy consumption. I generally average about 310-320 wh/mile in the summer. The winter can be 350-400, depending on temperature and conditions.

4. kort677

kort677 Banned

heating consumes a huge amount of power, if you have the cold weather package, using the heated seats and steering wheel should be enough to be warm with little usage of the heater