TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Heating the battery when parked.

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Union Pacifik, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Union Pacifik

Union Pacifik New Member

Model S parked in garage overnight at 40 F. Plugged in but not in charging mode as battery is about 3 KW below the 90% set point and I chose not to charge. How does the battery heat itself - or maybe it doesn't unless it is much colder? If it doesn't heat itself then I found that it is best to add 5 or so KW of charging just before I leave in the A M.

2. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

Welcome to the forum!

I believe that the battery heater turns on when it's cold if you manually start charging, and is also supposed to turn on at the designated time if you schedule a charge. There appears to be a new bug though with the scheduled charging behavior when it's very cold where it won't start charging. So if you need to charge, I would manually initiate it for now.

If you want to try scheduling a charge and do encounter an issue, please consider reporting the problem to [email protected].

• Helpful x 1