Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heating turns itself on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 100S bought Dec 17 seems to turn on the interior heating with no input from me? Yesterday for example I did not use the car until late afternoon. I checked the status of the car in the morning and interior temperature was 9C the same as the outside temperature. Shortly before my trip in the afternoon I checked the app again intending to turn on the heating only to find the interior temperature was 20C. It is as if Smart Preconditioning was on but it is not for either my profile or my wife's.

Any ideas/suggestions please?

Are you sure that the heating had actually been running (and that the temperature inside really was 20C)?

One possibility is that sun had been shining through the window onto the sensor, causing it to give a false reading. I believe there is a little fan to push air over the sensor so that it reads the air temperature rather than surface temperature, but probably that only runs when the system is 'on', so maybe the readings when the car is 'off' are less meaningful.

The temp sensor is behind that little pattern of circular holes in the panel close to the USB ports.

Hi Arg, many thanks for your reply. The temperature inside was definitely 20C - I went and sat in it! It has done this several times. The car was also in my garage (more of a barn really - no doors so the same temperature as the open air) so not a false reading.

I have now contacted Tesla who are interrogating my car. I will report the results!

You might gave your smart preconditioning on...?

“Smart Preconditioning
Smart Preconditioning will attempt to learn your regular commuting pattern (again, only if you have configured Home and Work locations in the satnav) and will pre-heat (or pre-cool in a warm climate) the cabin before you set off.

It does not pre-warm/cool the battery pack and it does not require the car to be connected to mains power.

It will not activate if the charge level of the battery is low.”

TeslaFi (and probably others) will show minute-by-minute what the logged data values were (internal temperature and also if Climate is on/off). There is a 2 week trial (doubles if you use a referral code). Might be a way of finding out exactly when it is happening, and perhaps from there diagnosing the culprit.

Changing your Tesla password will disable all APP access, so if this is caused by some APP that you have forgotten about?!! that would cure it.

Might be some scheduled event from a previous owner perhaps? (Although, best of my knowledge, a change in Tesla password would fix that too ... but things like TeslaLog are "by VIN" rather than "by EMail" so all trip-data etc. passes to the new owner, unless you explicitly ask to have the data removed (yeah, I know, that's a bum-design-decision for sure ...) so maybe that's the culprit if its a new, second-hand. vehicle.

Same thing happened to me for three nights in a row. I only found out because the official app showed a notification stating that the heating was turned off after 4 hours. I have changed my password to expire all other tokens I may have forgotten about so if it happens again, it's either from the car or from the official app.
I'll know tomorrow..