Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heatshield Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i know the front, Heatshield Sunshade is one awesome product.

But in a Tesla that is tinted all around, and also have the Heatshield for these other windows such as the liftgate or pano top? I wonder if it'll help cutdown heat.

If you are talking about this company, https://www.heatshieldstore.com, they are awesome. I have used for 4 years the Model S front and rear heatshields from them and they have held up well and do a great job (on one a sticker glue melted but I removed it and cleaned with IPA with no long term problem). I don't have tinting but have compared the rear heatshield to the rear Tesla add-on sunshade and the heatshield of course makes a huge improvement since it is opaque. I have silver but I see they now offer a gold option if that's your thing. I haven't tried the side shields on the Model S, but on other cars we have them and they have suction cups (I suggest to check with them if suction cups bother you, esp. on tint film, since they are always iterating their design and one of my other cars has suction cups on the rear in a new design). The only down-side to these is that they do take some storage room even though they roll up. That's where a huge gen1 classic frunk comes in handy. They sit next to my bike up there :). Finally if you are local, you can order and pick up directly at their factory in Sunnyvale, CA, which is what I did.

I contacted them recently about using a windshield shade with our Blackvue dashcam installed. BTW believe they moved from Sunnyvale as they are listed under "Contact" in Morgan Hill now and think the customer service person said that was where their factory was. Had a very nice conversation with her. Since we are local, she said there was the possibility I could drive the car over and have it custom templated for the dashcam positioning. I think it's something we should do for the $30 or whatever the shade costs but hubby is taking a wait and see attitude on whether we really need it. We do have the pano roof Tesla shades btw for the roof area. I know the lift gate area is the source of a lot of the radiated heat in the car as well but thought trying out the windshield first would be a good test to see how we liked using it. I think my husband's other concern is the size of the shade and storing it in the cargo area.

I contacted them recently about using a windshield shade with our Blackvue dashcam installed. BTW believe they moved from Sunnyvale as they are listed under "Contact" in Morgan Hill now and think the customer service person said that was where their factory was. Had a very nice conversation with her. Since we are local, she said there was the possibility I could drive the car over and have it custom templated for the dashcam positioning.

On my S, I have a Blackvue snuggled up just under the rear view mirror assembly. I was able to tuck the front Heatshield in back of the dashcam (so the dashcam is on the outside). I'm pretty satisfied with that, to be honest it never occurred to me to try contacting them. :) And yes they have some presence in Morgan Hill because that's where the shipment came from.

Bruce.

I contacted them recently about using a windshield shade with our Blackvue dashcam installed. BTW believe they moved from Sunnyvale as they are listed under "Contact" in Morgan Hill now and think the customer service person said that was where their factory was. Had a very nice conversation with her. Since we are local, she said there was the possibility I could drive the car over and have it custom templated for the dashcam positioning. I think it's something we should do for the $30 or whatever the shade costs but hubby is taking a wait and see attitude on whether we really need it. We do have the pano roof Tesla shades btw for the roof area. I know the lift gate area is the source of a lot of the radiated heat in the car as well but thought trying out the windshield first would be a good test to see how we liked using it. I think my husband's other concern is the size of the shade and storing it in the cargo area.

On my S, I have a Blackvue snuggled up just under the rear view mirror assembly. I was able to tuck the front Heatshield in back of the dashcam (so the dashcam is on the outside). I'm pretty satisfied with that, to be honest it never occurred to me to try contacting them. :) And yes they have some presence in Morgan Hill because that's where the shipment came from.

Bruce.
I use HeatShield for all my other vehicles, but did not look into getting it on my Tesla due to concerns about the BlackVue DashCam (front and rear). Does the BlackVue have any issue with heat reflected from the HeatShield? How is the video footage on a sunny day with HeatShield reflecting the light where the BlackVue sits? Does it fit well in the front as well as the back? Thanks in advance!

Bruce.

I was afraid to do that thinking maybe it would actually prevent air circulation from the Cabin Overheat Protection reaching there and in fact wondered if placement like that would concentrate more heat in front of the shield where the front dashcam would be wedged in between it and the windshield. So thought providing an appropriate cut out for the cameras would be the way to go.

We have occasionally had corrupt files on our rear camera (video gets all pink and green and distorted) which we think could be due to excessive heat (people in Australia experiencing really hot weather there on another forum have posted photos that look similar). The corrupted files seem to happen in the afternoon for us. Now we run the COP, I don't think we have noticed the corrupted files or noticed it as much at least. Don't have any on our SD card currently (we do try to reformat as suggested at the beginning of each month). Our car typically sits in the driveway with the lift gate exposed to the afternoon sun which is the strongest and I don't think the lift gate area has IR protection in the glass there. Just a guess, and so far we've been able to clear the corruption each time and get it running again. Someone here on the forum posted about getting their cameras installed and the installer left the plastic sleeve on on both cameras. After a few weeks in the Florida sun he had it totally fail. Realized the plastic was on, covering the camera vents (actually happened to us too but his post helped us catch our in time before any damage got done). So since then we've tried to be much more conscientious of keeping the cabin cooler during the extreme heat of the summer. If the Heatshield helps in this regard, I figure all the better.

Last edited:
I use HeatShield for all my other vehicles, but did not look into getting it on my Tesla due to concerns about the BlackVue DashCam (front and rear). Does the BlackVue have any issue with heat reflected from the HeatShield? How is the video footage on a sunny day with HeatShield reflecting the light where the BlackVue sits? Does it fit well in the front as well as the back? Thanks in advance!

I was afraid to do that thinking maybe it would actually prevent air circulation from the Cabin Overheat Protection reaching there and in fact wondered if placement like that would concentrate more heat in front of the shield where the front dashcam would be wedged in between it and the windshield. So thought providing an appropriate cut out for the cameras would be the way to go.

I just recently got the HeatShields, and I've only deployed them once other than testing the fit (which seems to be excellent). So I don't really have much experience of note with respect to the interaction with the Blackvue's operation. I've got a few trips to the San Joaquin Valley coming up where I'll be putting them to use, and I'll try to report any notable results from those trips.

On my car, the cameras are at the edges of the Heatshields (front and rear), so at least in theory there's space for a little air circulation around the edge.

Bruce.

Looking into heatshield for the pano sunroof vs. the Tesla pano shades. Has anyone used the heatshield for pano sunroof? Curious to see how well it works. Checked with heatshield and they told me the pano ones have suction cups to help it stay. Might be a little weird to use when driving since it's solid but would be good to use while parked and quite a bit less expensive than the Tesla pano shades.