Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heavier steering after wheel upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am wondering whether a wheel upgrade (18" to 20") makes any difference in how heavy the steering is. I have a 2021 Model 3 SR+ which came with the 18" Aero wheels. I always have the steering configuration in Comfort and I experienced it as light steering. Recently, I've installed the 20" Performance wheels (OEM Tesla wheels from a 2019 Model 3 Performance) on my car and the steering became noticeably heavier at low speeds (<3 mph or something). Is it normal that the steering becomes heavier after a wheel upgrade, or should the power steering automatically compensate? I was doubting a bit, since the car itself weights about 1800kg and I could not imagine the few extra kg's of the wheels making the steering wheel heavier, but maybe I'm wrong?

By the way, I also got my calipers painted, but cannot imagine that this makes any difference (extra weight of the spray paint 🙃)

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Robin

100% normal that heavier wheels make steering effort higher, even in a 4000 lbs car with power steering.

I did the opposite to my car, I replaced the 20" wheels on my M3P with much lighter 18" and steering effort got lighter, also most noticable at low speeds.

Agreed with others here that tire model can have a significant effect too, especially winter vs summer with winter tires feeling softer and mushier, resulting in lighter steering.