Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heavy rains in Missouri. Free shower from my pano roof.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I replied earlier in this thread that my new 70D with pano roof had survived it's first very hard rain.
So yesterday I was driving, after a moderate rainstorm--but not currently raining--and when I was slowing down approaching a light a few drops fell on my head. Very odd that it didn't leak at all when it was raining, but afterward.
Car doesn't even have license plates yet. I'm hoping they'll address this when I take it in to get the plates attached.

3 week old 85D. We are in monsoon season here in South Florida and the MS experienced its first storm parked outside. Got in, put it in reverse, and it was as if the pano was open. First dropped a few ounces on me, then the wife got a few ounces on her... it's only fair right? :smile: Amazing that they know of the problem, yet my car which rolled off the line less than a month and a half ago still has sealant issues. Guess the new car punch list is going to be addressed sooner than I thought.

There may be more to the problem than just cracks that had to be sealed. I noticed that on older models (my 6-month old included) the glass of the pano roof goes too far forward when closed (scrunches the front seal and is not aligned with the side black-painted pieces) and leaves a small gap between the glass and the rear outer seal. Water then can get in from the back, go around in a smaller channel and accumulate between the inner seal and the intermediate one in the front with nowhere to drain if the front cracks are sealed. The water path can easily be traced with the roof open at 100% while looking from the side. Once the water rises or when making a turn the water drains inside the cabin from the corners. I noticed that on new cars the pano roof glass lines up with the side trim pieces and there is no crack left open with the rear seal. The presence of water in that channel is apparent in my car after every car wash and by two screw tips that have already developed rust on the passenger side (the two screws are nice and shiny on the driver's side). The thing is car washes last a few minutes, where as a rain storm can last days.

Last edited:
I really wanted the pano roof, but I skipped out on it for fear that it would leak. Even reading this thread, I'm still not 100% sure I made the right choice. I really hope Tesla gets this fixed for all of you who are having issues!

I really wanted the pano roof, but I skipped out on it for fear that it would leak. Even reading this thread, I'm still not 100% sure I made the right choice. I really hope Tesla gets this fixed for all of you who are having issues!

Same here, skipped on the pano roof for the same reason (except I didn;t actually care much for it). Nothing on this thread made me change my mind.

I would think with a surface like that, leaks would be inevitable. The answer would be in providing proper internal gutter & drain??? At least that's what our older car had.

What's typical on other current cars?

Other cars rely too heavily on the gutters so the drain pipes clog up and surprise, they leak. The Model S pano roof is actually pretty impressive with triple seals and very tight clearances. It just has to be tuned to fit properly.

No leak today in the rain, it is rather heavy this evening, so hopefully my speculation is wrong and sealing the panel joints did the trick.

Other cars rely too heavily on the gutters so the drain pipes clog up and surprise, they leak. The Model S pano roof is actually pretty impressive with triple seals and very tight clearances. It just has to be tuned to fit properly.

No leak today in the rain, it is rather heavy this evening, so hopefully my speculation is wrong and sealing the panel joints did the trick.

Yea, the drains getting plugged is how I learned they existed :(

Ok, so here in San Diego, it doesn't rain much so I haven't had the opportunity for the leak test. Well, today it rained, and my co-worker got a nice little surprise as i started driving.

The water seems to be soaking the alcantera headliner too as it's acting like a sponge.... Will be taking this in to get it fixed... :(

Attachments

• IMG_4834.JPG
    IMG_4834.JPG
    349.6 KB · Views: 107
This thread terrifies me, I HATE sun roofs and only got the pano roof so I could fit roof racks. Why oh why did Tesla only make roof racks an option on sun roof cars. These bloody things are just weight and complication. I know they are a US specific fascination, but...

Whenever my kids say "Dad can we open the roof" I scream NO!!!! at them, don't touch the bloody thing!