Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:

Latest posts

Hawaii Tesla Owners

HECO: CGS+ is a total scam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else enrolled in CGS+? I feel like HECO intentionally makes these solar programs as complicated as possible, so the consumer doesn’t see how they’re getting ripped off.

Of course, everyone knows what a great deal net metering was for consumers, and now HECO is taking it out on new solar customers, by developing plans like CGS+. For those who don’t know, CGS+ stands for Customer Grid Supply Plus, and the premise that’s sold to you is that you’ll pay $0.28 per for every kWh that you pull from the grid, and earn $0.1008 for every kWh you return to the grid (these are the current rates in 2020, for Oahu). So my expectation was that if I draw 100 kWh this month, but return 300 kWh of excess solar power to the grid, I should roughly cancel out my bill and only pay the minimum connection fee of $25. Based on this understanding, I sized my solar system to ensure that I would always return more power than I draw, and in the summer months, I’ve achieved well over 3x that.

What they bury in the fine print, is that you only earn credit up to the MINIMUM of either how many kWh you draw OR how much you return. So in the example above, I’d pay 100 x $0.28 = $28 for the energy used, and I’d only get credited for 100 x $0.1008 = $10.08, since I pulled less energy than I returned (100 kWh pulled vs. 300 kWh returned). In other words, I could send 1,000 kWh of excess energy back to HECO, but they’d still only give me $10.08 of credit!

Then they promise that after 12 months, there’s a “reconciliation” where they apply any banked credits toward energy usage that in the preceding year hadn’t already had credit applied toward it. Great! This sounds wonderful — because I have a lot of banked credit — except that they screw you again by doing a “true up” calculation where they do some fancy math (seriously, it’s a textbook con), so that most of your banked credit gets forfeited back to HECO, thus “benefitting all customers.“

Lesson learned: If you own a home with net metering, don’t ever sell it. And if you’re in the market for a new solar system, make sure you know exactly what you’re getting into, and size it appropriately. The solar sales people probably won’t explain it to you, because they‘re motivated to sell you the most expensive setup possible, so do your own homework and read the fine print. I couldn’t find much online about these programs, other than what HECO and the solar companies provide, and even knowing what I know now, it’s hard to find the truth (on this HECO website, the only place to find the truth is buried on the linked pdf to understanding your bill, and even then, it’s incredibly obfuscated):

Customer Grid-Supply Plus

PS, I’m considering adding another powerwall, just to move one step closer to energy independence from this criminal enterprise.

Yeah CGS+ is a rip-off. They're not doing us NEM customers any favors either with "NEM+" and not honoring their original commitments for NEM Agreements that were executed but not fully installed. I was approved for a 10 kW system, but could only afford a 5.25 kW system at the time, but was assured (and the agreement says so) that I can expand up to the total approved amount. Now they tell me I'm stuck at 5.25 and can only add via "NEM+" :mad: Glad my PW/additional system is at least allowing me to "max out" my 5.25 allowance by fulfilling my demand.

Typical monopolistic practices. HECO's days are numbered. Eventually technology will eliminate the need for an electric utility.

Wow. That is interesting. Power walls are only way to go sounds like.
I have an original NET meter system on house now. I'm in process of adding a small tesla system with 1 power wall. I'm under the impression it is not connected at all to the grid in any way, and my current NET contract is unchanged.
I will read fine print, but I hope there is no surprises.

Typical monopolistic practices. HECO's days are numbered. Eventually technology will eliminate the need for an electric utility.
+1. Can't come quick enough.

For anyone trying to decipher your CGS+ bill, be aware that the "Understanding your Customer Grid Supply-Plus bill" pdf found on the HECO website:

https://www.hawaiianelectric.com/do..._read_your_customer_grid_supply_plus_bill.pdf

uses the Big Island CGS plus credit rate ($.1055 per kWh) for its calculations, but never tells you this anywhere, so if you try to use Oahu rates to figure out how they are coming up with their numbers, the math won't add up. Took me way too long to figure that out, and while there's nothing inherently wrong with using the big island rate for their example (even though the vast majority of HECO customers are on Oahu), at least they could have stated that fact, since the purpose of this page is ostensibly to educate customers.

Just another example of HECO's shady business practices aimed at keeping consumers in the dark.

Don't even get me started about how they itemize my monthly charges into helpful categories like "Non-Fuel Energy," "Energy Cost Adjustment," and "Purchased Power Adjustment," instead of just showing me how much I'm paying per kWh. These categories really help me understand exactly what I'm paying for. :rolleyes:

I have an original NET meter system on house now. I'm in process of adding a small tesla system with 1 power wall. I'm under the impression it is not connected at all to the grid in any way, and my current NET contract is unchanged.
You should be OK, but I'm curious how NEM+ works. You have two solar systems, with the newer one not connected to the grid. Do both systems run simultaneously, so that the newer one is charging a powerwall, while the older one powers your home? And then what happens when the powerwall is full? Does it start to power your home, so the older system can send power to the grid? Or does it wait until the solar day is over, and then switch to the battery, so you don't have to draw from the grid? Can both systems feed your home simultaneously, or is it always one or the other?

It sounds very interesting, and I'm curious how much control you are given over which system supplies your home.

I guess we have to essentially pay HECO for the privilege of sending our electrons back to the grid. What a scam.

I just had 2 PWs installed, so with two Model 3s in my garage, I won't have much to export to the extortionists also known as HECO. Nothing would make me happier than being able to open that main breaker and prevent them from taking any of my power, but I imagine I may have to take some grid power on cloudy days.

Reactions: fseir
I'm in the same situation. Did you find out anything?

Bit late... but when I talked to HECO they said the new system is set up for non-export, but still connected to the rest of the system, and the NEM system remains as-is. However, for this to work Tesla has to curtail the “+” system from the inverter directly rather than adjusting the frequency on the Powerwall which would also shut off your other inverter. I had a miserable project manager, so I ended up just cancelling since they could not give me any straight answers. (They asked me to sign a form taking me off NEM, which I refused of course.)