Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Height of step-in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I kind of figured out an estimate on my own. Maybe it'll help someone else.

Ground clearance is 16", but it can lower 4" with the adjustable air suspension. So the bottom of the vehicle is 12" when fully lowered.

I'm estimating around 3 feet from ground to seat after looking at the various photos available online. The seat height seems to be almost even with the top of the 35" wheels (including tires) when lowered. The distance from the bottom of the frame to the top of the seat looks close to 2 feet, maybe less.

This is probably the best picture I could find to estimate the seat height. Not sure how much the prototype will differ from the production vehicle though.

Unfortunately for me, I think it might be just a tad too high for me to get into with my wheelchair being only about 2 feet high. Sliding up 1 foot is a tall order. It's a shame because the CT has a paintless finish, which would be perfect for me because I beat the hell out of the door area getting my wheelchair in and out. I hate scratching paint, but scratching stainless steel wouldn't bother me at all. Plus the truck bed has plenty of room for someone to stow away my wheelchair, which checks another box.

I've got a Model Y held on order (that seat is pretty even with my chair), but I'd really love to see the CT in person before I rule it out.

I kind of figured out an estimate on my own. Maybe it'll help someone else.

Ground clearance is 16", but it can lower 4" with the adjustable air suspension. So the bottom of the vehicle is 12" when fully lowered.

I'm estimating around 3 feet from ground to seat after looking at the various photos available online. The seat height seems to be almost even with the top of the 35" wheels (including tires) when lowered. The distance from the bottom of the frame to the top of the seat looks close to 2 feet, maybe less.

This is probably the best picture I could find to estimate the seat height. Not sure how much the prototype will differ from the production vehicle though.

Unfortunately for me, I think it might be just a tad too high for me to get into with my wheelchair being only about 2 feet high. Sliding up 1 foot is a tall order. It's a shame because the CT has a paintless finish, which would be perfect for me because I beat the hell out of the door area getting my wheelchair in and out. I hate scratching paint, but scratching stainless steel wouldn't bother me at all. Plus the truck bed has plenty of room for someone to stow away my wheelchair, which checks another box.

I've got a Model Y held on order (that seat is pretty even with my chair), but I'd really love to see the CT in person before I rule it out.
The seat height from the floor appears to be about the same as the model Y. I'm pretty sure the suspension is adjustable ±4" so the clearance would be adjustable from 16" down to 8" (See here). The Model Y's clearance is 6.6" so there might only be an inch or two difference from the Model Y. I hope it works out for you as it's going to be an awesome truck. But the Y is great too. If you have the cash you could have it wrapped with PPF to protect the paint.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Maryland
The seat height from the floor appears to be about the same as the model Y. I'm pretty sure the suspension is adjustable ±4" so the clearance would be adjustable from 16" down to 8" (See here). The Model Y's clearance is 6.6" so there might only be an inch or two difference from the Model Y. I hope it works out for you as it's going to be an awesome truck. But the Y is great too. If you have the cash you could have it wrapped with PPF to protect the paint.
That's exciting to hear. Might be doable... I wish I could see for myself, like, now. lol. I'd like to know so that I can just get the Y if the CT won't work.

If I want to get the CT instead of the Y, is there any chance Tesla would give me my $100 deposit back, even as an accessories credit?

And no amount of PPF would protect the car from the ravages of my chair lol.