TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Height of Tesla wall charger

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Darthbenji, May 16, 2018.

1. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

I read it needs to be a minimum 48 inches off the ground. That kinda shoots my intended spot down. Does anyone know if this is mandatory and why?

2. trace

trace Member

I'm confused to why this would be mandatory. Maybe if Tesla or a Tesla contractor is installing it this would be required due to something like ergonomics or child protection.

You could have it on the floor with all wires exposed if you wanted to.

3. miimura

miimura Active Member

I can't cite NEC chapter and verse, but 48" above the finished floor is the typical height of outlets in a garage. There may also be accessibility rules for wall mounted EVSE.

4. TexasTeslaRacing

Our electrician said something like this. You can always ask to have it slightly lower if the installer doesnt mind.

5. Beagle

Beagle Member

I'm going to say it is because the 'regular' length 'cord' is 8'. If you want to wrap the 'cord' around the unit rather than put it in its socket, mounting the unit lower should be fine. However, if you get the longer cord, it will take a lot of wraps, and there may not be room. Get the HPWC and look at it a week or so before deciding.

6. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

fwiw: my electrician just installed my WC last week. The conduit feeds from the top, and the top of the mounting bracket is right about 48 inches. The bottom of the WC is about 37 inches, with the midpoint at about 44".

Also, I have one 120 v and one light switch in the gage, and they are both at ~44".

7. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Any reason you know of that it couldn’t be a few inches lower?

8. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I Tesla says to install it in a particular way, then that is how it needs to be installed, unless it is a violation of code. I don't know what the instructions are.

Mine is 8' above the floor in one garage and and 6' in the other, because I run the cable overhead and drop it down to where the car is parked. I have a ladder to reach the reset button (if I ever have to, which I never have).

9. animorph

animorph Active Member

From my HPWC manual for U.S.:

"Position the bracket so that the Wall Connector is located at a maximum of 60" (150 cm) from floor level. The minimum height is 18" (45 cm) if mounting indoors, and 24" (60 cm) if mounting outdoors."

I assume that's to the bottom of the bracket, but I didn't see a clear indication of that. I think mine is a little over the 48" height. It just has to be convenient to hang the handle on.

• Informative x 1
  10. ai4px

ai4px Wes

What do you do to keep the cable out of the way on the Hpwc that’s on your ceiling? A hanger or retractor?

11. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

The ceiling in my garage is unfinished. I run through cable through whatever supports are available. At the back of the car I leave just enough length to reach the charge port. When disconnected I usually loop the end over the garage door track (there is some at the back that the door does not use on my installation -- obviously don't loop it over where the door runs). I have also run it with a "sag" in the cable before the final drop and hung the handle over the loop. KISS (or maybe lazy).

• Informative x 1