Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Height of Tesla wall charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused to why this would be mandatory. Maybe if Tesla or a Tesla contractor is installing it this would be required due to something like ergonomics or child protection.

You could have it on the floor with all wires exposed if you wanted to.

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
I'm going to say it is because the 'regular' length 'cord' is 8'. If you want to wrap the 'cord' around the unit rather than put it in its socket, mounting the unit lower should be fine. However, if you get the longer cord, it will take a lot of wraps, and there may not be room. Get the HPWC and look at it a week or so before deciding.

fwiw: my electrician just installed my WC last week. The conduit feeds from the top, and the top of the mounting bracket is right about 48 inches. The bottom of the WC is about 37 inches, with the midpoint at about 44".

Also, I have one 120 v and one light switch in the gage, and they are both at ~44".

I Tesla says to install it in a particular way, then that is how it needs to be installed, unless it is a violation of code. I don't know what the instructions are.

Mine is 8' above the floor in one garage and and 6' in the other, because I run the cable overhead and drop it down to where the car is parked. I have a ladder to reach the reset button (if I ever have to, which I never have).

• Informative
Reactions: lottadot
From my HPWC manual for U.S.:

"Position the bracket so that the Wall Connector is located at a maximum of 60" (150 cm) from floor level. The minimum height is 18" (45 cm) if mounting indoors, and 24" (60 cm) if mounting outdoors."

I assume that's to the bottom of the bracket, but I didn't see a clear indication of that. I think mine is a little over the 48" height. It just has to be convenient to hang the handle on.

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX
I Tesla says to install it in a particular way, then that is how it needs to be installed, unless it is a violation of code. I don't know what the instructions are.

Mine is 8' above the floor in one garage and and 6' in the other, because I run the cable overhead and drop it down to where the car is parked. I have a ladder to reach the reset button (if I ever have to, which I never have).
What do you do to keep the cable out of the way on the Hpwc that’s on your ceiling? A hanger or retractor?

What do you do to keep the cable out of the way on the Hpwc that’s on your ceiling? A hanger or retractor?
The ceiling in my garage is unfinished. I run through cable through whatever supports are available. At the back of the car I leave just enough length to reach the charge port. When disconnected I usually loop the end over the garage door track (there is some at the back that the door does not use on my installation -- obviously don't loop it over where the door runs). I have also run it with a "sag" in the cable before the final drop and hung the handle over the loop. KISS (or maybe lazy).

• Informative
Reactions: lottadot and ai4px
I mounted my wall charger where the bracket is 62 inches above the floor. It was done this way to stay out of the way of the trash cans and other things that move around inside my garage. Hoping the 60 inch instructions aren't literal. I can't think of a reason why they would be.