Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello and some questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla folk,
I been reading this forum for some time and I like it allot so I just joined, thank you for having me here and looking forward to share my experiences in the future.

I don't own a Tesla yet but I'm in the market for a Model S. I recently test drove the S long range and really liked it apart from the windshield noise which was pretty odd, otherwise it was a sweet ride.
Any of you experienced that wind noise?

Also, a major concern is the radiation (please don't ban me :) lol) a friend of mine scared me s...less into saying that the charging or the regenerating system creates high electromagnetic field radiation that can cause cancer, I did some research on that and it seems that tests showed extremely low EMF radiation but I wanted to hear it from the horses mouth.
What do you all think, and are you concerned about it?

Thank you...
Johnny.

People have measured the EMF in Teslas and found it to be very low. Spark plugs produce a larger pulse of EMF with each spark than you’ll find in a Tesla. Also, EMF at these frequencies hasn’t been shown to cause cancer.

For wind noise, I’ve heard of trouble with the rubber seals around the windows, where adjusting the seals improved things a lot.

Reactions: mspohr
People have measured the EMF in Teslas and found it to be very low. Spark plugs produce a larger pulse of EMF with each spark than you’ll find in a Tesla. Also, EMF at these frequencies hasn’t been shown to cause cancer.

For wind noise, I’ve heard of trouble with the rubber seals around the windows, where adjusting the seals improved things a lot.
Thank you, I will definitely test drive another S to compare, as for the radiation, sounds about right what your'e saying.

I imagine if it was bad it wouldn't get passed regulations. I think you'd probably affected more by phone radiation than car since it's always with you almost 24/7. But only time will tell anyway.

Wind noise is pretty common. There is no engine noise to mask/blend the noise together. So all you hear is the wind and other noises. However there are things you can do like adding aftermarket seals to the gaps between glass/body of the car to make it even more quiet but I wouldn't know about it. I have a 14 MS and yeah you can hear more wind noise but it isn't that crazy for me.

I imagine if it was bad it wouldn't get passed regulations. I think you'd probably affected more by phone radiation than car since it's always with you almost 24/7. But only time will tell anyway.

Wind noise is pretty common. There is no engine noise to mask/blend the noise together. So all you hear is the wind and other noises. However there are things you can do like adding aftermarket seals to the gaps between glass/body of the car to make it even more quiet but I wouldn't know about it. I have a 14 MS and yeah you can hear more wind noise but it isn't that crazy for me.

I was pretty shocked to hear too but as with everything in life, I didn't want to take his advice for granted so hence the reason for my question and thank you for your opinion.

So the wind noise wasn't your typical road noise, which understandably no motor and less moving parts equal to quieter cabin so you'll hear other stuff clearer but in this case, the noise was very well distinguished from anything else and specific to the lower/mid area of windshield.

I do hear wind and road noise in my 13 but it's kind of hard to gauge compared to an ICE car since there's no engine to mask anything.
It was an odd wind noise and perhaps something wasn't in tune with that specific car.
I failed to mention that I drove a model 3 last year and the wind noise was definitely not there, not that it matters for comparison reasons but just saying being that it's an EV and is similarly quiet.
I was more curious to see if other Model S owners had that very specific noise.
Thanks for you help.

Ive owned my 2014 MS for a few years and can report no one has got cancer because of it ;).

For the noise, the Raven models have greatly improved in that aspect. You may have driven one with a manufacturing defect (tesla has a lot these) try driving a different car to see if you hear it there.

It's interesting that since Teslas are so quiet that people hear all kinds of small noises that you wouldn't notice in an ICE car. Drives some people crazy trying to get rid of absolutely every noise.
I am definitely very anal when it comes to cars but I also understand that it's not possible to completely mute the whole world just bc I'm in a Tesla lol... though this wind noise I'm talking about was very specific, one would def. hear it a in a ICE car too.

Ive owned my 2014 MS for a few years and can report no one has got cancer because of it ;).

For the noise, the Raven models have greatly improved in that aspect. You may have driven one with a manufacturing defect (tesla has a lot these) try driving a different car to see if you hear it there.

I appreciate your response, I'm to believe that also, as it must be something wrong bc it wasn't anything one would say it's normal.
Definitely looking to test drive another one soon.

I don't have any seal problems in my Dec 2016 Model S, but these cars do not have adequate sound proofing. I'm sure I have the worse configuration with 21" Michelins and pre-raven. At highways speeds it is much nosier than my 2017 Sierra Denali. When making a call using Bluetooth, the other party always comment on the noise level. My buddy has a 2018 X and has given up making calls from the car for the same reason.

Also, a major concern is the radiation (please don't ban me :) lol) a friend of mine scared me s...less into saying that the charging or the regenerating system creates high electromagnetic field radiation that can cause cancer, I did some research on that and it seems that tests showed extremely low EMF radiation but I wanted to hear it from the horses mouth.
What do you all think, and are you concerned about it?

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a clear causal link shown between EMF and cancer, or any other ailment for that matter. You should note that you are surrounded 24/7 with EMF in your home, office, and city. Power lines along the street etc.

When home charging, the car takes 240V AC .. so if you are worried about that EMF you should also never get close to your stove or oven. When not charging, or when supercharging, the car is mostly using DC (there are inverters, but local to the motors), and DC doesnt generate much EMF at all.

The world is full of real hazards, there is no need to invent new ones :)

I notice a bit of wind noise due to the frameless windows...
As of this, there is small triangle piece of glass at each front door that are attached to the side mirror. I have had quiet drives until needed to change the side mirrors (both sides) and after the change of LH mirror it did started to be lot louder during my drives. It appears that the hight of this small glass is the culprit as it does not mate with the seal as should. The hight is adjustable.

I was pretty shocked to hear too but as with everything in life, I didn't want to take his advice for granted so hence the reason for my question and thank you for your opinion.

So the wind noise wasn't your typical road noise, which understandably no motor and less moving parts equal to quieter cabin so you'll hear other stuff clearer but in this case, the noise was very well distinguished from anything else and specific to the lower/mid area of windshield.
Also when I first got the car a very long time ago, I heard more than acceptable wind noise from the triangle window of the driver's side. They fitted it differently and it was gone after. So maybe something similar to the way it is fitted.