Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello everyone! I am a complete newbie, and am picking my new MY up next week. I’m so excited, as I’ve never purchased a car that I’ve never driven.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats! What config are you getting? And like @ATPMSD suggested, seriously, take some time to review the OM. You can download it on your computer and just do a section a day. There are also videos on the Tesla site that you should watch, to get you going. And there is so much good info in this forum, spend time scanning it as well. The Tesla tech isn't really hard to access, but there are a LOT of things that are different than an ICE vehicle so it's worthwhile to spend some time up-front in education.

Reactions: GSP and ATPMSD
Congrats, I did get a chance to test drive one before picking up MY, you do have to get used to the pedal feel, not even close to a "normal" car. Enjoy it

Well for me it took no getting used to at all; it drives very much the same as my other car. Course my other car is a Bolt EV! But even then, I knew about one-pedal driving when I got the Bolt, so it was not a shock. Took one drive to get used to it, and maybe a week to calibrate my foot to the point where I could 100% reliably come to a stop without using the friction brake. The calibration is slightly different in the Tesla, but once your leg gets the muscle memory it just becomes another part of driving. At that point you'll hate having to go back to a gas car! ("What, I'll have to rent a car if I fly there? Screw it, I'm driving!")

• Love
Reactions: GSP
Well for me it took no getting used to at all; it drives very much the same as my other car. Course my other car is a Bolt EV! But even then, I knew about one-pedal driving when I got the Bolt, so it was not a shock. Took one drive to get used to it, and maybe a week to calibrate my foot to the point where I could 100% reliably come to a stop without using the friction brake. The calibration is slightly different in the Tesla, but once your leg gets the muscle memory it just becomes another part of driving. At that point you'll hate having to go back to a gas car! ("What, I'll have to rent a car if I fly there? Screw it, I'm driving!")
Hey another Bolt-Tesla transplant! Loved the Bolt and EV driving but needed a bit more space and AWD, since I'm a nordic skier!

Reactions: Johnny Vector
My advice is to go to Youtube and watch as many delivery videos as you can before picking up the T.
My experience, along with many others, is the delivery is "touch-free", meaning you're on your own
once they hand you your key cards. If you don't know how to adjust seat, mirrors, shifting you'll be sol.
Your experience may be better than mine as the pandemic has gotten better, but better safe than sorry.

Here is one that should help you quite a bit:

Also, did you have a referral code when you placed your order? That's where you can get 1,000 free supercharging miles,
and the person who did the referral also gets 1,000 miles (there's no catch). If you didn't give a code, I'd appreciate if
you could use my code to help both of us. Just let me know and I'll send it to you. You would have to find out from Tesla
if it is too late to do this, if not, it's easy. I may even be able to assist on my end if you can't get it done or already have.
"I have a guy!"

Either way, sure hope you enjoy your car. My only experience before buying was going for a "test drive" at a Lincoln dealer
that had a used one for sale. My "test drive" was perhaps 1-2 miles so almost zero feel for the car. I did like the high seating
position, as this is the first suv I've owned. Once you get used to the accelerator pedal, you will love it. The amount of times
I've had to use the brake pedal you can count on one hand.

I think this video should be made a sticky for assisting future new buyers.

Hey another Bolt-Tesla transplant! Loved the Bolt and EV driving but needed a bit more space and AWD, since I'm a nordic skier!
I actually still have the Bolt, since given where we live and some of our hobbies, my wife and I are a two-car family. The Bolt is great for local driving, and actually easier to park once we start going back into D.C. for theater and stuff (smaller, tighter turning radius, birds-eye view). But sure and it's not very convenient for long-distance driving! Before the MY, we had a Fit to go with the Bolt, for long trips. The jump from Fit to MY is certainly a bit of an improvement in every way! The MY-Bolt combo is basically perfect for us at this point.

Reactions: Tokodave and GSP