Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello Everyone! Testdrive First Impressions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to write a quick hello, had my P90S testdrive yesterday and all I can say is :eek:!

As an avid car enthusiast, I have got to say, I think Tesla really has something here! My fiance and I had a wonderful time with the people at Syosset Tesla. They were very helpful, knowledgeable and nice, didn't get the hard sell or anything annoying like that. The salesperson who took us on the test drive gave us the option of which sub model to take out, she basically asked what level of ICE performance I was used to - V6, V8 or V10. I told her I arrived in my E60 M5 (5.0L V10 507hp), so the choice was made. P90D it is!

Off we go. And I mean that. Once leaving the dealership, she had me lined up and "ready for takeoff" as the sales rep put it. Pedal down, and wow. Like I said, I'm no stranger to high HP cars, but g*ddamn-almighty! That thing goes like ---- of a shingle! I don't know how fast I achieved in how long. I didn't even know my name. What I did know, is that when seated comfortably, there is still about a good inch or so that your a** will compress into the seat while launching a P90D. The pedals seem to move away from your feet as you blast off. What an immense acceleration - no drama, no tirespin... just all go, zero show. Amazing.

The car handled well, felt very much so like my M5. Heavy but in control and flat in the turns. Autopilot was unreal! Though the only practical application I could envision is a long (desolate) highway trip, or stop and go annoying traffic, I'd for sure opt for this in my future build. Normal NY traffic simply includes way too many d-bag drivers who cut you off, so having to intervene so often would defeat the purpose.

I'm really looking forward to the next 2-3 years, when I intend on my purchase(s). I'm strongly considering consolidating from my current 4-car stable to 2 T-cars. If anyone has done this, please let me know your story/opinion!

Also, the pricetag is rather steep. Not getting into if it's worth it or not, it still is quite an investment. I have no issue keeping cars 10, 15 years before selling, so on a long enough timeline, even $100,000 car makes "sense". I would even strongly consider buying secondhand, or "high mileage" as I'm seeing miles alone, translating to automotive wear on a Tesla is a thing of the past. Maybe battery cycles? Hours on engine? I don't know..

Anyways, I'll be spending most of my time lurking, learning, and being helpful where I can (as I do not own a Tesla yet). I'd love to hear from anyone in my shoes who went from petrol head to volt junkie! It really is a whole new world. And I have so many questions. lol

Be well all!

Glad you enjoyed your test drive of the P90D. I had an opportunity to test drive the P85D. I kept running out of road because it was fast even with four people weighing it down. There are also many cars that are or will become available on a CPO basis. You can check them at ev-cpo.com. If you found a heavily discounted used P85D Tesla will let you add extra battery capacity and ludicrous mode to make it a P90D. That would save you a lot of money over a new one.

My test drive in a 90D blew me away too and sealed the deal. I couldn't think of any other car I wanted more. We consolidated down from 3 cars to 2. I traded in my Porsche Cabriolet and Ford F-250 for the 90D and after the state and federal rebate the total cost was more than reasonable.

I'm almost in the same boat as you. Currently driving a F10 M5. Lurking around on all a few Tesla forums.
I liked how the car handled during test drives.
Only thing I find lacking at this price point is the interior.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the Tesla World, both to Pilot and Crazy8. The forum has become so wide-ranging that it can be difficult to navigate; if you stick around you'll likely find yourself finding yourself in favorite sectors so much that you less frequently visit other portions. So take a gander at the other locations every now and then to learn what's happening there. That can include other English-language locales like what the Aussie/NZ crowd are up to; or the Investor section even if you don't own shares in TSLA; or of course the Japanese, Dutch/Belgian, French sectors etc. if you're comfortable in other languages. And there is some seriously ferocious wonkiness going on as well as a bunch of malarky. Malarky is my own specialty....

Active on the forum include former race car drivers (and at least one current one); more than a few current and former pilots..."down" to some like me who have spent most of our lives behind the wheels of pickup trucks and heavy machinery.

The top-tiered blue "Sticky" threads contain what moderators have deemed worthy of not getting lost in the noise, but there is superb material elsewhere, too. One sector each of you may want to find right away is the geographic subsector of your area - learn about events, etc., that can provide you the opportunity to meet owners and learn about the cars from other than employees.

I am pretty sure that, to five or six 9s, all of us heartily agree with one of your statements: we all
think Tesla really has something here!

Glad you enjoyed your test drive of the P90D. I had an opportunity to test drive the P85D. I kept running out of road because it was fast even with four people weighing it down. There are also many cars that are or will become available on a CPO basis. You can check them at ev-cpo.com. If you found a heavily discounted used P85D Tesla will let you add extra battery capacity and ludicrous mode to make it a P90D. That would save you a lot of money over a new one.

That is amazing advice... thank you!! That very question was on my mind, and you saved me a research session.. lol

My test drive in a 90D blew me away too and sealed the deal. I couldn't think of any other car I wanted more. We consolidated down from 3 cars to 2. I traded in my Porsche Cabriolet and Ford F-250 for the 90D and after the state and federal rebate the total cost was more than reasonable.

:biggrin: Good to hear you went from a (great) coupe and don't miss a thing!

I'm almost in the same boat as you. Currently driving a F10 M5. Lurking around on all a few Tesla forums.
I liked how the car handled during test drives.
Only thing I find lacking at this price point is the interior.

I graded it somewhere between Japanese Luxury and German Luxury. Not terrible, but not stellar either. I didn't hate it, and I do like the full leather dash option (reminds me of my current and past M5 which had full leather pack. Make you a deal.. don't tell anyone on M5board.com that I'm here, and your secret is safe as well! lol

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the Tesla World, both to Pilot and Crazy8. The forum has become so wide-ranging that it can be difficult to navigate; if you stick around you'll likely find yourself finding yourself in favorite sectors so much that you less frequently visit other portions. So take a gander at the other locations every now and then to learn what's happening there. That can include other English-language locales like what the Aussie/NZ crowd are up to; or the Investor section even if you don't own shares in TSLA; or of course the Japanese, Dutch/Belgian, French sectors etc. if you're comfortable in other languages. And there is some seriously ferocious wonkiness going on as well as a bunch of malarky. Malarky is my own specialty....

Active on the forum include former race car drivers (and at least one current one); more than a few current and former pilots..."down" to some like me who have spent most of our lives behind the wheels of pickup trucks and heavy machinery.

The top-tiered blue "Sticky" threads contain what moderators have deemed worthy of not getting lost in the noise, but there is superb material elsewhere, too. One sector each of you may want to find right away is the geographic subsector of your area - learn about events, etc., that can provide you the opportunity to meet owners and learn about the cars from other than employees.

I am pretty sure that, to five or six 9s, all of us heartily agree with one of your statements: we all

All great info! Thank you sir, and see you on the forums!

Upgrade from 85 to 90 is cost prohibitive. Upgrade to "L" is available. Most say you won't notice much difference between 85 & 90.