TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Hello from a New Owner Vin #1455

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by ralphtomm, Nov 23, 2011.

1. ralphtomm

ralphtomm New Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Hey everyone. Just got my new Roadster Sport. Love everything about it. One thing that was a surprise was interior noise. I thought it was going to be whisper quiet. You can't beat the performance. I have a Viper, and the Roadster is way more fun to drive.

But, I plan on using the Roadster as my daily driver, so I need to get the interior noise down. I have the soft top. Does anyone have the hardtop? Does it cut down the noise drastically?

Bluetooth: Everyone says that it sounds like I am in a wind tunnel. Solutions? I would hate to get a headset, after I got spoiled by my Lexus. Again, not a deal breaker, just something I want to take care of. Today, I spent 2 hours on the side of the highway on a conference call!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated....
  2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Welcome to the forum, and congratulations! Everyone will ask for pics so prepare to get some for posting. :biggrin:

There's plenty of comments about the microphone if you do a search and I'm sure that others are piling in as I write. I'm not sure there's a great solution for that yet. I have a hardtop on order so can't comment on that, but I do find that the road I'm driving on makes a huge difference; some roads are just much quieter/noisier than others.
  3. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Apr 10, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Welcome to the club.

I've driven my Roadster with four types of top, so can comment in order of noise reduction:

1. Hard Top - this is the most quiet (much better than the soft top) but still unable to use bluetooth at highway speeds. However, it will do nothing for the creaks, squeaks and groans you will get from the Tesla, but wind noise is drastically reduced.
    2. Soft Top - noisy as hell.
    3. Mesh Top - even more noisy than the soft top, but nice and breezy.
    4. Topless - the wind noise drowns out noises the car makes.

Personally, I go topless whenever I can. The car is noisy as hell, and this just makes it more enjoyable. The mesh top is also a good compromise. If you don't like topless, then the hard top will considerably reduce the wind noise (especially if you get the windows adjusted to fit), but I suspect you will still need a bluetooth headset at highway speeds.

Regards, Mark.
  4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

May 17, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Congrats! There really is nothing to do about the wind noise. The hard top does help though so can try that. I just turned off the bluetooth since people complained about it. I tried a bluetooth headset with my phone and that helped a little as well.
  5. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Jun 18, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
  6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2006
    CA CA
    Part of the noise problem is the fact that the legacy Lotus shape windshield and frame. It's not quiet. Why would a Lotus care? Make sure you have the free rubbbr strip in the window frame.

Do you have the $3K sound deadening kit added to your car?
  7. jory

jory Member

Sep 27, 2011
    san francisco
    #7 jory, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
    if you have a 2.5, that already comes standard with the sound deadening kit. one thing i did to reduce the noise a bit was to reduce the tire pressure to "comfort" settings (and also change the TPMS to that setting.) i am also going to install the adjustable suspension when parts are back in stock and put it on the softest setting. these last two mostly address noise around town and on bumpier roads in general (not wind noise, etc.)

i added a hard top and that did lower the ambient noise a bit, though there seems to be a fair amount of variation as to how much (presumably based on fit and window adjustment?)
  8. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Jun 3, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    I can confirm what markwj says - the hard top helps, but it's not a complete solution for highway speeds. A bluetooth headset with good noise filtering, like a Jabra, is the ticket, and the bonus is your iPhone won't need to be connected twice to play music.

Welcome to Roadster ownership, and congrats on having one of the last 10 VINs in North America!