Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from a total Roadster newbie (but not roadster newbie) & fundamental questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have driven between Sunnyvale (San Jose area) and Santa Barbara several times. I always stop in San Luis Obispo at Dr. Lloyd Marcum's office (he is @Lloyd here on TMC) at 1129 Pacific St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401. He installed a J1772 charger that delivers the maximum power the Roadster can take: 70 Amps at 240 Volts (versus 208 Volts at many commercial locations served by 3-phase power). The probability of that charger being occupied is very small, in contrast to my experience at the Rabobank in Atascadero, for example. Assuming you are there during hours the dental office is open, you can ask at the reception desk for the RFID fob to turn on the charger for free. Outside of those hours you can pay with a credit card. I stop there and walk a few blocks to the downtown area to get lunch.

As others have mentioned, if you plan this as a two-day trip (which would be wise), you should definitely plan the overnight stay at a hotel with a Tesla or J1772 charging station so you start out with a full charge. If the charging station supplies only 30 Amps it may take 6-8 hours to recharge, so finding a location with multiple charging stations is a good idea so that your car can remain connected overnight.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Welcome to TMC and to California!

One suggestion before you head out is to do some trip planning using one of the several web or smartphone/tablet tools. I recommend picking up a copy of the smartphone app "EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla", available for free on the app store of your choice (iPhone or Android). It has knobs for adjusting the prediction model for your particular car (Roadster) and especially for your particular car battery's condition. Roadsters have a wide range of battery performance, from the new "3.0" battery with over 300 miles of range, to a tired original battery which may get only half that.

Also, do read up a bit on "Range Mode" vs "Standard Mode" for both charging and driving, and (it will be hard) keep the speed down. I purchased my car at a distance too (not quite so far), and as things worked out, they drove it out to my house for delivery. 120 miles distance to cover, and the car was "fully charged" before he left. I'm guessing he was in Standard mode (about 175 miles ideal for my car at the time), but the guy who delivered didn't understand physics, and was apparently doing 85mph+ at some point on the trip. He arrived with 6 miles of range left, and nearly a nervous wreck.

So I'd take a cautious approach on range, until you get to know the car better, and not depend on getting the full simulated range. Perhaps target arrival at a charging stop with at least 40 miles or so left, in case the prediction is off, or you have to hunt around for an alternate charger. Pick spots with hotels and/or restaurants with chargers, and charge whenever you can, even just for an hour. Plugshare is an excellent tool for that.

I expect you will have an interesting and fun trip. Good luck!

p.s. Strong vote from me for both of Henry's adapters. I have both, and have used them extensively.

• Informative
Reactions: Nvbob and dhrivnak
Hi everyone,

Here's an update of my so far successful Roadster adventures!

I took delivery of the car on Saturday noon in LA after a quick early flight from SFO to LAX. Car was fully charged at the dealership and showed 184 miles of ideal range. Good!

I did a late lunch stop in Santa Barbara, where I plugged the car into a Tesla Destination Charger at the Californian Hotel's public lot. At first I freaked out because the light inside the little door was blinking yellow, which looked very much like a failure mode to me (I expected green). Later Henry explained to me that that was the expected color when charging. :) The charge was very slow though: barely 20 miles of range in 1,5 hours.

Then hit the road again towards Pismo Beach where I arrived just in time for the sunset with around 25 miles left on the gauge. The Shore Cliff Hotel has 2 charging stations, a Tesla one which was taken by a Tesla S which was already fully charged as I arrived (and remained so the whole time I was there – charging etiquette anyone?), and an available J1772 charger which delivered nicely (in 25 minutes by the time I was fully checked-in at the hotel, it already charged 20 miles of range).

Next (late) morning, I was a bit surprised to see the "Charge complete" message on the display, but a gauge that showed only about 90% charge. There was also a "Top up?" button on the touch screen. Is it so that by default the battery doesn't get to 100% by itself and you need to request that specifically? If so, that's unpractical. Any technical reasons?

Continuing the trip to the North, Big Sur and another late lunch at the beautiful Ventana resort (too bad the weather was cloudy). The restaurant's parking lot has a Tesla Destination Charger which was out of order, and a J1772 working fine. Clueless restaurant staff ("oh yeah, one of the charging stations is acting up") was just helpful enough to let me unplug the resort's golf cart from the J1772 and use it on my car. :) Charged about 50 miles of range in 2 hours.

Doing a nice detour onto the 17 Mile Drive, I randomly met another Roadster! Friendly owner who was as happy as I was to make pictures of the 2 cars (attached!).

Arrived on Sunday night around 8pm in Monterey , with about 25 miles left at the gauge. The Monterey Plaza Hotel's lot has a number of J1772 charging stations and you can self park (and self plug).

Those 2 days I drove like a grandpa (except, I confess, on the very fun, small, narrow Nacimiento-Fergusson Road) and switched off everything (no radio, no heating etc.) to save power. Once I discovered the "Range mode" the second day, I switched to that mode, too.

Monday morning 5:45am, hitting the road again towards SF, headlights, seat heater, heating and fast pace on SR 17 North of Santa Cruz – no power saving mood anymore. Arrived in SF at 8 sharp with only about 25 miles remaining and very happy about my trip and my new car! The only slightly negative comment that I'd have is that the steering is very heavy on small curvy roads, even at a pretty fast pace. My Renault Spider is way more maneuvrable in hairpin turns. But it's also way lighter. :) Other than that, the car is a lot of fun for sure.

Nevertheless I think I'll do the 3.0 battery upgrade at some point. The current 180 miles range (in the best case) is a bit too short for stress-free day trips.

hcsharp: those 2 adapters are the best investment a Roadster owner can make. You can't venture to open roads without them. Thanks again!

gregd: thank you for the tip re. the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla app. I just installed the app (didn't see your message before my trip) but it doesn't seem to support the Roadster Sport (I get a "not supported" message every time I try to configure it – apparently the app supports only the standard Roadsters). I sent a message to their support email address, we'll see what they say. And yes, Plugshare is excellent – already entered my first check-ins, pictures and comments.

Roadster: thank you! Yes that's #696 indeed! What is an "exterior CF pkg"? Do you know that car? Didn't it have a good home previously? Now it certainly does. :) Regarding Tesla dealership: I live in San Francisco, so will probably use their local dealer on Van Ness Avenue. So you recommend I go there and request all the prior service records and car logs? What is the "CAC"? What do you mean with "transferring the car's ownership into my name"? (The used car dealer in LA takes care of my DMV registration in my name and of my new license plates, so I think I'm all set on that front.) The annual service check sounds like a good idea to me – in case it hasn't been done recently by the previous owner (and then I guess that's where the car's service records can help finding out). But (sorry for the dumb question) why would the Tesla workshop be willing to do it for free? It's a pretty old car now...

Wow that was a long post. Thanks everyone again for your welcome in the Roadster community. I'm looking forward to the spring and summer. :)

PF

Attachments

• IMG_20180318_184433.jpg
    IMG_20180318_184433.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20180318_184525.jpg
    IMG_20180318_184525.jpg
    768.9 KB · Views: 58
Yes, by "default" it wants to charge to 90% to make the battery last longer in the long run. Charging to 100% is hard on the cells, and should only be done if you absolutely really need it to be full. Also, note, regen braking may be limited when the battery is "full".

Yes, the steering is heavy at slow speeds. It is NOT power assisted. But you will learn to appreciate how much road feel you get through that steering system.

You seemed a bit baffled by how many miles of range you were getting per hour. You can check the amps and voltage on the VDS to see how much power a particular charging station is providing. The charging station can be configured to offer different amperage depending on the quality of the wiring / breaker available at the site.
You can sometimes find stations as low as 16amps, and as high as 80amps. 30 is rather typical, and some of the Tesla specific ones may be 40 or 60.

Glad you made the trip and you are enjoying your new Roadster !

• Informative
Reactions: Mark77a
Thanks TEG! I'm used to non-power assisted steering as it's that way in my Renault Spider. (No hydraulic braking assistance either!) To be fair, the Roadster probably accelerates faster than the Spider. :)

Yes, I'll have to pay attention to the amps and voltage the touch screen displays while charging. I guess if there are several different charging stations in one location, I can try them one by one until I find the best one. :)

Got it re. 90% charge by default. Makes sense!

PF

Re: transferring owner's name. This is for Tesla service records. They link information about the owner: cell phone, address, etc so that when the car is in for service, they can contact you. I bought mine on Jan 30 and the local service center put in the owner change but it still hasn't gone through. They said the volume of 3s were slowing down paperwork. The service center should be willing to tell you about past service ... but they likely won't print it out since it will have the past owner's name on it. At least, that was my experience.

And yes, non-EVs and full EVs in the charging parking places is a big hassle and major annoyance.
There are many threads about what to do in those situations.
Main option may be to leave a strongly worded note on the windshield and seek "plan B" charging location.

Reactions: dhrivnak
PS: the car is now in my building's parking lot and plugged in. Do you recommend I leave the car plugged whenever parked, or should I unplug once the charge is done?
It's always best to leave the car plugged in, if that's possible. If the parking place is "yours", and has a dedicated outlet, then by all means just leave it plugged in. The car will want to top off the battery every few days, and will do so automatically if left plugged in. If you are in an EV Charging slot, then you will need to move the car once the charging is done. Check with the building management on what their policy is.
gregd: thank you for the tip re. the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla app. I just installed the app (didn't see your message before my trip) but it doesn't seem to support the Roadster Sport (I get a "not supported" message every time I try to configure it – apparently the app supports only the standard Roadsters).
There isn't anything significantly different about the car itself between the standard and sport models, related to trip planning, except that you can push the sport model harder. Same battery, same aerodynamics, same tires, etc. Since the app can't directly model how you drive, there isn't a specific option for the Roadster Sport. There are some knobs in the various screens where you can adjust things to better fit your experience. About the only thing you can do is play with the settings until it gets close enough.
What is the "CAC"?
Calculated Amphour Capacity. It's the car's best guess at the capacity of the battery. Starts out new at about 160ah, charging to something in the upper 180's ideal range in standard mode. Sounds like your battery is practically new. Not to put a damper on your 3.0 cruising adventures, but consider checking out the thread on the 3.0 Battery Longevity. What you have right now is kind of precious.

Congratulations on your new car, and thanks for letting us experience its trip home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark77a
gred: yeah I saw the thread on the 3.0 battery longevity and that disheartened me a little... If I got that right, the goal is to contact Tesla with all the collected car data and confront them with the issue, right?
Well, "confront" isn't quite the right word, but a member in the U.K. has sent them a letter (via the service center folks) with our data included. He's asked for an explanation of what is going on and what to expect, and some other challenges related to repair (PEM, especially). We're hoping that they will take these data seriously and get us some real insight, if not a fix.

I personally have several travel destinations that I frequent which the larger battery would make taking the Roadster significantly easier. But it's not worth it (to me) to sacrifice the perfectly good, if not middle-aged, battery for what appears to be a relatively temporary increase in range. For about the same amount of money, I could buy a whole Model 3 that would last a decade, and have supercharging to boot.

Hi,
Quick question as a complement: would I want to buy the UMC cable that allows to plug into NEMA 14-50 sockets, can I still find the original one sold with Roadsters? If not, which one (available in retail) would you recommend?
Thank you!
PF

Thanks dhrivnak – I already have the CAN Jr. and Sr. from Henry. Is that Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector what I need to get as a complement?

Yes, a lot of people do that and are happy with it. Note, the one you linked is the fixed cord version (40amps) which is only NEMA 14-50. There is a different version with changeable plugs but limited to 32amps.

The old Roadster versions are much more bulky.