Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello, from Allentown, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all!

I have been mulling over the idea of getting a Model S for about a year. I currently have a BMW 328, and my fiance a Subaru Forester (for future kids). I believe the Model S is about 15" longer then my current BMW, and I am reading it is a decent family car.

I keep toying with the idea to get a CPO one, once a good price comes up, but I have only had my current car for 1 year, and my brain keeps telling me to wait, so I don't take such a big hit on the sale of my 2013 328xi.

My work also just built a new building, and they have free electric chargers via chargepoint. This is also another reason I feel like it would make sense to get this car (free charging at work), though my work is only 15 miles away.

I drove a 2013 Model S, and really enjoyed it. My main worry now is that the Model 3's, and the gigafactory battery production, may bring down the price of the 60d, which is the car I am currently looking at. So even though I would love one now, unless I see an awesome deal at the Devon, PA shop, I think my best bet is to wait around another year, before I pull the trigger.

Anyways, I have been lurking on the forums for awhile, and have learned quite a lot, so I appreciate all the info that has been shared already on these forums!

Hello,
I was in the same situation (also near allentown in coopersburg.) I have a 3 pre ordered, but decided I couldn't wait. So I got a great deal on an inventory x with about 400 miles. I should be getting it this week from Devon. If you got to Devon, talk to Ian. He is awesome.

tony c

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Welcome! I grew up in Allentown, near the edge next to South Mountain/Emmaus.

My main worry now is that the Model 3's, and the gigafactory battery production, may bring down the price of the 60d, which is the car I am currently looking at.

Yes, that's likely to happen, but that's also going to be a very long wait! Probably two years, if not more.

Your BMW is a 2013, so it sounds like you got it used? So you probably won't take a huge depreciation hit on it, compared to new.

There are lots of good CPO deals, if you can find them. Shameless plug -- have you checked out https://EV-CPO.com ? There was just a 2012 green 85 kwh Model S loaded for $44,750. That was a great deal that didn't last long.

I think anyone here will tell you that driving a Model S for the two years between now and the Model 3 is worth A LOT more than whatever depreciation hit you'll take on the BMW. Heck, the saving in fuel alone over two years might make up most of that difference.

Side note: My other car is an '02 BMW M5, and guess which car gathers dust?

Welcome! I grew up in Allentown, near the edge next to South Mountain/Emmaus.

Funny, I live off Emmaus Ave, on the bottom of South Mountain. Small World!

Yes my BMW was used when I got it, I wouldn't take as much of a hit, but I bought it from a dealer, and looking at KBB value now, ill probably end up losing 10,000 for one year of the car...

I checked out the site you listed, thanks for that, I have been keeping an eye on them through the Tesla site, but I like how your site tracks the price changes, very handy!

As for the Model 3, I am torn. I feel like I will need a slightly bigger car, and my next was car was going to be a 5 series, due to that fact. Because of that, I don't see myself getting a Model 3, but sticking with the S, so im not looking to replace the S in ~2 years. (I say that now, but i usually change cars every 2-3 years...)

I guess my biggest worry is the financial backbone of Tesla. The M3 I think is going to make or break the company. And yes, a MS would still be drivable without the company around, but I feel it wouldn't be worth much of Tesla wasn't around for the warranty/parts/etc anymore.

Hi there. You also have a convenient Supercharge in Allentown too. I used it a few weeks ago and we had a nice lunch at the Red Robin.

Ya they just installed it this year I believe. Though I don't want to be sitting at a supercharger, charging my car weekly, I think that negates the purpose (same as getting gas). Instead would try to keep it charged at work, and only charge at home on weekend/when needed.

I live within 2, 6 and 30 miles of three different supercharges, and I have to say I *never* use them. Not when I charge to full every night. What you want is a supercharger about 150 miles away in all directions, so that they facilitate long distance travel.

As for the Model 3, I am torn. I feel like I will need a slightly bigger car, and my next was car was going to be a 5 series, due to that fact. Because of that, I don't see myself getting a Model 3, but sticking with the S,

I was only mentioning the 3 because you said you wanted to wait for the gigafactory to open so MS 60D prices would fall. I was just saying, that's going to be a long wait to be not driving a Tesla. Also, I'm not concerned with the financial stability of Tesla. I used to owned a Delorean for 15 years (sold to get the MS), and we all know what happened to Delorean... and most parts are *still* available. And he only built 9000 cars. Tesla is already in the hundreds of thousands of cars. And if TM goes belly up, I'm sure people like wk057 and Ingineer will be there to help anyone keep their car running.

In Allentown, I lived in what was Lexington Arms apartments along Emmaus Avenue. I think it's now called Lehigh Square. We moved away when I was about 10, so I don't remember much. I remember walking across the RR tracks to a little shop on Lehigh street called Wolfies where my brother and I would get YooHoo and read comic books. On the way back, we'd put pennies on the tracks and wait for trains to come by. There was also a Friendly's. And South Mountain wasn't as developed as it is now -- the back side of our apartment complex was just all woods and streams. I also remember the big Hess's as well as the Emmaus Theater. And gas being 27c/gallon.

Welcome to the forum. Nice area of the country. My son and his wife both went to Lehigh University, right up the road from you. I've visited there a couple of times. Once you have your finances straight in your mind the Model S is an easy decision. I'm currently waiting for my 60D to go into production. This is the hard part. Enjoy looking for your perfect S.

I have been mulling over the idea of getting a Model S for about a year. I currently have a BMW 328, and my fiance a Subaru Forester (for future kids). I believe the Model S is about 15" longer then my current BMW, and I am reading it is a decent family car.
I have a 328 too, but it's on operational lease, just as my Model S will be next month. Why ? It's saver and cheaper than owning one !