Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from Asheville

Are warranties transferable buying a used Tesla from a dealership?

• Too many advantages are lost by not buying from Tesla.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • there’s some good deals out there and nothing is lost by buying from a dealership.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Asheville Guy

Supporting Member
Nov 1, 2019
Asheville, NC
I am a new member from Asheville, North Carolina. My wife and I are retirees in our mid-70s. We were introduced to Tesla by my sister and her boyfriend. I’ve come to realize all the great things involved in this car. I want to buy a used model S and thought to get it from Tesla.

On the other hand, I have seen some very attractive cars being sold by local dealerships. What is the downside to buying from a dealership? Are warranties transferable? I know very well that if it’s not in writing it doesn’t exist. But what are the questions that I should be asking?

As far as the forum goes, I have really found it interesting and educational and I look forward to participating in the community. The word newbie is all over me and anything you folks can say to help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here's a site you should visit and invest some time learning more. Articles | TeslaTap

Answer to your main question is sort of iffy/vague from me.

Standard warranty will apply. 4year/50,00 miles Drive train and battery is 8 years/unlimited if battery size is 85kw or larger. 60kw limited to 120,000 miles. (many are out of warranty now).

On some cars you can purchase an Extended Warranty. About $4,000 good for another 4 years/50,000 miles. $200 deductible for each visit.
I say some because Tesla's policy has been ANY Tesla sold by a non-Tesla dealership will not be allowed to be permitted to purchase the Extended Warranty. We don't know the logic behind this. For those other cars the car must still be under warranty for an owner to purchase the Extended Warranty.

We know of no way to determine if a car will be allowed to purchase the Extended Warranty - except - to see if the Extended Warranty is shown in the current owner's Tesla account. (Maybe a picture to prove its there). Tesla might allow the purchase of the Extended Warranty if you buy the used Tesla from them. Its going to depend on the car. Yes, its nearly impossible to determine if the car is going to be allowed the Extended Warranty. Yes, you increase the odds by buying a private sale from a private/existing owner.

That's my two cents on Extended Warranty.

I recommend you spend some time reading threads here on titles that interest you. Sometimes the Tesla position changes so read on to the end or last postings to learn the most current status too.

As you ask future questions, please go into more explanation or detail - concise in your questions. Example. You asked about buying from a dealer. Based on your first question I want to think you mean a non-Tesla dealership. But maybe you mean Tesla. One distinction that may help is although Tesla is required in states to obtain a dealer license to sell cars, Tesla does not want to be referred to as a dealer/dealership. They don't have dealerships. These a factory/company owned service centers and stores, sometimes called galleries, are not privately or dealers group owned sites.

So, the 2018 you are talking about, Tesla owned or non-Tesla dealership.

In one thread with even dozens of posts yet to come, we can't explain the pros and cons with buying brand new, 1 year old, 3 year old or 4 year old Tesla's, from private, Tesla, or non-Tesla dealerships. I encourage you to read the different parts of TMC and Tesla's forum.Tesla | And read about all models to find the one you are most interested in owning.