Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from Bella Vista, AR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Being new to forums I posted this as a “reply” thread so now I’m doing it over in Post New Thread. I’m learning. :smile:

Model S #13,967, non-perf, 85KWh, Pearl White, Black Leather, Piano Black, 19", Panoramic, Tech, Air Suspension - Considering Twin Chargers. :confused:

Need to finalize by Feb. 11[SUP]th[/SUP] and haven’t seen a Model S. I plan to see one this week thanks to Dr. Evan Fusco in the Springfield, MO area.

Lots of questions but this forum has answered many and raised a few more. Thanks for all the postings.

I’m trying to determine if I can use the Model S to visit our kids in the Minneapolis area – usually 3-4 times per year.

We live 200 miles south of Kansas City so getting there should not be a problem. However, it’s another 180 miles to Des Moines where we usually stop to sleep. The next day it is only 240 miles to the Minneapolis area so hopefully with the Des Moines stop of 15 hours we can get a complete charge at 20 miles per hour.

With only 20 miles per hour charging in the Kansas City locations we would need to stay 7-8 hours before continuing on to Des Moines. Not really desirable as it will make for a very long day. Sure would be nice to see a Super Charger in the Kansas City area.
Anyone know if there are any chargers in KC providing more than 20 miles per hour?

Welcome!

During the summer at least, your quickest public charging places are RV parks but that would still take 9 hours for a complete charge for the 85 kWh pack. If you happen to know a Model S owner on your route with a HPWC who is willing to share then that's even better of course. SuperChargers will definitely help when they come out. That's going to be a beautiful car, congrats.

Slightly OT, but I'm definitely planning on making my HPWC available. Im in the corridor headed from either LA, Orange County, San Diego to Vegas or Arizona. We ought to start a thread on zeemaps with pins for people volunteering to make their HPWC's available. People can reference the map to see if there is an HPWC on/near their travel route. Let's get the underground sub-supercharger network started!

Welcome to the forum JD. Hopefully you'll have a bit better ID about practical range and things after we meet up this weekend. I think that would be a pretty challenging trip at this point, but not impossible by any means, will just require some extra time and patience.

Hello JD:

I would definitly add the twin chargers if you want to travel intercity. I plan on making my HPWC available to share when it is delivered and installed in Kansas City. You should read the blog of the couple that traveled from Portland to New York. It was insightful on how a long trip might work. He built a twin charging box to speed up the use of the RV parks charging capibility.

Congratz on the car!

Slightly OT, but I'm definitely planning on making my HPWC available. Im in the corridor headed from either LA, Orange County, San Diego to Vegas or Arizona. We ought to start a thread on zeemaps with pins for people volunteering to make their HPWC's available. People can reference the map to see if there is an HPWC on/near their travel route. Let's get the underground sub-supercharger network started!

I might try and get the dual chargers eventually and place a HPWC at an Inn on 101 in So Humboldt (~ 70 miles from my home). Currently they have a 'free' 14-50 outlet but seemed like they might be ok with upping it / adding to it!

let's get this map going!