Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from Boston! Looking to ice the ICE and jump to EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all! First post in this forum. Previous Bimmerfest member. Going from a two to a one car family. We do mostly local driving with a road trip a couple times per year. I walk to work and she drives 5 miles one way so an EV seems like a great option for our driving style. Just purchased a nicely optioned Telluride in Nov 2021 with the mindset of "this is our last ICE". But with the car market the way that it is right now, I can get more for my used Telluride than what I paid for it so a used X is doable!

From my limited research so far, liking the P90 or P100 six seat configuration. Need subzero (or cold weather pkg since we live in the NE). Premium package (depending on what year we buy) seems like a nice option. Otherwise, can be flexible. My questions are:

1) Should I find a MY with the MCU 2 already installed or get a MY prior to 3/2018 and pay to upgrade?

2)Should I sacrifice the P models for a bigger battery?

3)Are the falcon wing door molding degradation issues really as common as seen when googling?

Thanks all for any assistance and in the meantime, I am going to keep trying to learn as much as I can about these vehicles. Mostly, I am going to try and walk through the fear of giving up what I know and am comfortable with and embrace the future of driving and have a mindset that the "what if's" (range anxiety, charging, etc) will work themselves out.

I am trading in my 2016 Model X for a Model Y. Loved the X but did have an issue with the Falcon Wing Door weatherstripping, which was covered by warranty. The air suspension and other features will be missed. Bigger battery is more important than Performance to me.

Reactions: mswlogo
I am trading in my 2016 Model X for a Model Y. Loved the X but did have an issue with the Falcon Wing Door weatherstripping, which was covered by warranty. The air suspension and other features will be missed. Bigger battery is more important than Performance to me.
Even the non performance models have plenty of giddy up, so I think I can be flexible with this as well if the right used X comes along! Thanks for the input.

I forgot that the biggest issue on my MX has been the front axle vibration on rapid acceleration. It is most pronounced when the suspension is elevated. They replaced one set of axles and after that just recomended setting suspension on a lower setting. The reason I forgot is I barely notice it now that I typically keep the car in Chill mode to not tempt me to try to drive like a teenager. Mine is not even a Perfrmance model. LOL. Based on some posts on the forum, it still bothers some people. I don't know if it was fixed in later models. For sure, you want an MX manufactured in late 2016 or later, to get the extra cameras and faster CPU. Those are the main reasons I am trading mine in.