Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from Chicagoland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone!

I used to be a Tesla 'doubter'. I thought they were overrated and poor quality, but I did believe in the EV movement. My wife and I started off with a Ford Fusion Energi as our first dip into EV ownership and decided if we bought another car it would be all electric.

A little over a month ago we borrowed a 2021 Tesla Model 3 from Turo to take on a small road trip. It had FSD and AB. Both the wife and I were blown away not only by the car's performance, but how nice it was inside (way better than I was expecting). So much so that the next weekend I traded in my 2017 Honda Civic for a used Silver 2018 Model 3 LR RWD with FSD. It was a choice between that one or a dark gray LR AWD without FSD and almost 15,000 more miles. While I still pine away for an AWD, I think we made the right decision. Besides, there's nothing to say we can't also trade in the Fusion...

We also recently took a longer road trip where we got to experience supercharging. It went almost flawlessly, except for two flat tires! Suffice to say our M3 now has some "new shoes".

I think the next upgrade is going to be a motorized frunk kit. Both the wife and I are very worried about causing dents in the frunk from closing it. I wish Tesla had at least included a soft close mechanism.

Wow, talk about conviction. Congrats on the new M3. I'm thinking of doing what you did and renting a MS on Turo. not to get off topic but how was your Turo experience?

Also sorry to hear about two flat tires. That's not fun for any car, but it sounds like the road trip went well. Any advice for someone looking to get a used MS?

Wow, talk about conviction. Congrats on the new M3. I'm thinking of doing what you did and renting a MS on Turo. not to get off topic but how was your Turo experience?

Also sorry to hear about two flat tires. That's not fun for any car, but it sounds like the road trip went well. Any advice for someone looking to get a used MS?
Sorry it took me so long to see this! Still getting used to the website.

My Turo experience was fantastic. The gentleman showed us exactly how the car worked, had it charged up for our trip, and was really fast at communicating. One thing I would do ahead of time is call your insurance and make sure they will cover your Turo rental. Get it in writing if you can. If they do, don't bother with Turo's insurance, it kicks in only to cover what your insurance doesn't.

As far as finding a used MS, start with Tesla's website and Tesla Hunter. The prices for used cars on Tesla's website do change, so if you see one that's a little over your budget it's possible it might drop in price. One caveat is you don't get to see the car before you buy.

Then check out Current Automotive. I think their prices are about right for a dealership and they really know their stuff. Carvana and Vroom will have good deals, but it's difficult to find out any details other than what's listed on their sites. Sometimes cars.com will have Carvana listings with more pictures.

The used section here on this site is also great!