Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from Lake Zurich, IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all-

My name is David and I've been lurking for awhile. I purchased a Chevy Volt on 4/2 and fell in love with electric vehicle operation. My range needs occasionally take me outside the 40-50 miles I get all electric on the Volt, so having an onboard gas generator is very helpful. I'd like a Tesla Model S in my future, can't wait to learn more from the owners that post to this forum.

One disappointment I have about the forum is the glee with which some members describe the Volt as a hybrid. While it operates from battery power, it's a pure EV. I wouldn't have been interested in Tesla or this forum without the daily EV driving experience I get from my Volt. Describing the car as a hybrid evokes comparisons to the Prius, Fusion, etc. The driving experience of the Volt is nothing like those, as I've driven many different hybrids via ZipCar.

You'd think EV drivers would want to advance the cause via all EV car models, but that doesn't seem to be the case among some members here. I look forward to the day I have a pure EV, but I'll be sure to remember the gateway-drug-like-influence of an EREV when that day comes.

Looking forward to many interesting conversations on this forum,
David

My range needs occasionally take me outside the 40-50 miles I get all electric on the Volt, so having an onboard gas generator is very helpful. I'd like a Tesla Model S in my future, can't wait to learn more from the owners that post to this forum.

One disappointment I have about the forum is the glee with which some members describe the Volt as a hybrid. While it operates from battery power, it's a pure EV. I wouldn't have been interested in Tesla or this forum without the daily EV driving experience I get from my Volt. Describing the car as a hybrid evokes comparisons to the Prius, Fusion, etc. The driving experience of the Volt is nothing like those, as I've driven many different hybrids via ZipCar.

Welcome. There is a thread about the Chevy Volt here
GM Chevy Volt

I don't think calling the Volt what it is does it any disservice. I would think any car that accepts gas is some form of hybrid. While it is in electric only range it does operate as an EV but it can and does use gas as you know. Anyway, it doesn't really matter what it is called and this has already been debated. If you're driving in the electric range and you're happy, that's all that really matters. It just goes to show you that something like the Model S with 120-245 miles of range could easily work for you if the Volt's electric range does.

Hi all-

You'd think EV drivers would want to advance the cause via all EV car models, but that doesn't seem to be the case among some members here. I look forward to the day I have a pure EV, but I'll be sure to remember the gateway-drug-like-influence of an EREV when that day comes.

Welcome to the forum, David. I think I'm probably one of the people who has asked that we distinguish between 100% EV (i.e., a 'pure EV') and the EREV. It's a semantics thing for me (can't speak for others) - if we're not clear on terminology, then the general public lumps everything together. And then there is more disinformation to deal with. And I agree with you - I've always thought that the Volt is the perfect vehicle with people who worry about range. After driving it for awhile, people start to realize how easy it is to charge and wonder why they need to drag that gasoline along everywhere. :)

Look forward to your posts on the forum.

Last edited:
Thank you both,

You make excellent points about distinguishing terminology to establish specificity in the EV community. You're right, if you have two sources of energy on board, it seems fair to call it some form of hybrid.

I really think the range of the Model S, 120-245 miles, will be able to cover all my travel needs. I'll be able to drop the gas powered range extender for when I need to travel beyond 40-50 miles.

I'm here to learn and discuss the Model S at this forum, and look forward to doing so. I'll leave my Volt chats at the Volt forum.

Thanks again for the welcome!
David