Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from Menifee, California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Menifee is located between Los Angeles and Palm Springs.

I’m a 72-year old retiree with a background in mechanical engineering. My interest in EVs goes back farther than most. In 1974 while attending a school, students were required to choose a topic and make an oral presentation. I chose “electric vehicles”. The details of my discussion are lost to history, but I do recall ending it with the thought that electrics would be viable when battery technology improved. Here we are!

I would like to make an M3 reservation on March 31, but can’t due to a prior commitment. That means I’ll be among those around the world vying for a spot on April Fools’ Day (maybe there’s a message there…). I know Tesla says the 3 will begin rolling off the assembly lines in 2017, but I ‘m a skeptic (maybe it will be just one car on December 31). I’m preparing for a delivery in 2019/2020 and will be pleasantly surprised if it happens sooner. The 3 will replace a 2009 Aveo I got by surrendering a 1986 F-150 as part of the “cash for clunker” program.

Much as I’d like to have an S or X, I just can’t justify the investment. The 3 makes much more financial sense (even though I expect all of the $7,500 rebates to have been spoken for by the time they get to my number).
I was an early enthusiast of the LEAF, but didn’t pull the trigger because some of my round-trips approach its max range. The deciding factor for me is the 200 miles to be offered by the 3.

While waiting for it, I expect to buy a BOLT if they’re available as promised in late 2016/early 2017.

Menifee is located between Los Angeles and Palm Springs.

I’m a 72-year old retiree with a background in mechanical engineering. My interest in EVs goes back farther than most. In 1974 while attending a school, students were required to choose a topic and make an oral presentation. I chose “electric vehicles”. The details of my discussion are lost to history, but I do recall ending it with the thought that electrics would be viable when battery technology improved. Here we are!

I would like to make an M3 reservation on March 31, but can’t due to a prior commitment. That means I’ll be among those around the world vying for a spot on April Fools’ Day (maybe there’s a message there…). I know Tesla says the 3 will begin rolling off the assembly lines in 2017, but I ‘m a skeptic (maybe it will be just one car on December 31). I’m preparing for a delivery in 2019/2020 and will be pleasantly surprised if it happens sooner. The 3 will replace a 2009 Aveo I got by surrendering a 1986 F-150 as part of the “cash for clunker” program.

Much as I’d like to have an S or X, I just can’t justify the investment. The 3 makes much more financial sense (even though I expect all of the $7,500 rebates to have been spoken for by the time they get to my number).
I was an early enthusiast of the LEAF, but didn’t pull the trigger because some of my round-trips approach its max range. The deciding factor for me is the 200 miles to be offered by the 3.

While waiting for it, I expect to buy a BOLT if they’re available as promised in late 2016/early 2017.

WELCOME to TMC. You speak a lot of Wisdom.Totally agree with your comments. I am going for Model 3 as well. Good luck. Got electrocuted with the Model X Canadian prices. April fools day was a good one, came early than expected from TESLA for Canadians with the Model X prices.