Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from Mogwai

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello I'm Mogwai. I'm not a member of the band, I just really like their music.
I am 24 and plan to go to school for sustainable energy engineering in 2 years. I have never owned a car before and fuel economy is very important to me because I don't want to pay a fortune for gas. I originally wanted to get a VW Passat TDI for it's excellent fuel economy, however I recently learned about the existence of the Tesla Model S and no longer see a reason to purchase any car that runs on gasoline or diesel.

Since I have 2 years before I will be starting school I am going to work my butt off and save up enough money to pay for school+Model S Performance. I think it would be awesome to begin school at 26 with a brand new luxury sedan that competes with the likes of Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Ferrari and Lambo.

May seem a bit early to join this forum but it says its for owners AND enthusiasts, and I am very enthusiastic about Tesla Motors, and in 2 short years will be an owner.

Big goals. Maybe when it's time, get a Genlll base Tesla.

Just the bear necessities...

That's what I was thinking, might be good to wait 2 years to get a 2nd/3rd gen Model S.
The price might seem like it will be too much for me but I'm working in northern Alberta where I can easily rake in $70k a year after taxes, and I'm getting a great deal on rent. My total living costs for one year will be around $10k, which includes food and shelter. Over 2 years I will make enough money to pay for school and a Tesla.

I really want the performance model, but if it comes down to it I will get the 85kw base model. I'm really not interested in an EV that goes less than 300 miles at 55mph on one charge.

So given my circumstances I think it will be possible to get my dream car in 2 years. Plus I think it would be awesome to go to school for Sustainable Energy Engineering in an all electric vehicle. Sustainability is my passion, so I think this is the right direction for me.

That's what I was thinking, might be good to wait 2 years to get a 2nd/3rd gen Model S.
The price might seem like it will be too much for me but I'm working in northern Alberta where I can easily rake in $70k a year after taxes, and I'm getting a great deal on rent. My total living costs for one year will be around $10k, which includes food and shelter. Over 2 years I will make enough money to pay for school and a Tesla.

I really want the performance model, but if it comes down to it I will get the 85kw base model. I'm really not interested in an EV that goes less than 300 miles at 55mph on one charge.

So given my circumstances I think it will be possible to get my dream car in 2 years. Plus I think it would be awesome to go to school for Sustainable Energy Engineering in an all electric vehicle. Sustainability is my passion, so I think this is the right direction for me.

Sounds exciting, times have changed since I was in school. My first job in college was in fast food, where I made a few dollars a hour. Good luck on your dreams and aspirations!

Last edited by a moderator:
And a used Jetta TDI would be a fine car.

Had one of those, (Well, it was new not used). Absolutely the most disappointing car I've ever owned. Cost a fortune in maintenance (22 cents per mile over 95,000 miles and the first 36,000 were bumper to bumper). Engine blew at 80,000 miles (covered under warranty so not included in the 22 cents per mile). Had to be towed three times because the 12V battery shorted out every year (can't jump a shorted out battery). Every fill was a smelly mess. Can't keep it in the garage because of the stink. The list of badness just goes on and on. Never again.

Had one of those, (Well, it was new not used). Absolutely the most disappointing car I've ever owned. Cost a fortune in maintenance (22 cents per mile over 95,000 miles and the first 36,000 were bumper to bumper). Engine blew at 80,000 miles (covered under warranty so not included in the 22 cents per mile). Had to be towed three times because the 12V battery shorted out every year (can't jump a shorted out battery). Every fill was a smelly mess. Can't keep it in the garage because of the stink. The list of badness just goes on and on. Never again.

Looks like you had an incompetent mechanic/dealership that worked on the vehicle. Pretty rash to condemn a whole fuel type and line of vehicles over poor service. To be fair you also think the Model S looks like a Buick, and I have never heard of that one before either. You are also the only person that I know of that likes the styling of the Pontiac Aztek. Grain of salt

Looks like you had an incompetent mechanic/dealership that worked on the vehicle.

I might have thought that too, however, there were a few co-workers who also bought one and not sold or serviced from the same dealer. I kept mine the longest, the others got rid of theirs during the second year.

I'll plead guilty to your other charges:smile: