Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from northern New Jersey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! I decided to sign up for TMC forums after they shut down the Tesla.com one earlier this Spring. I was on that site just doing preliminary research and seeing what people had to say about owning or getting a Tesla vehicle.

Fast forward to today and I am hoping to purchase a new Tesla Model Y this Fall. I think it will be the right decision for me. My lease will be up at the beginning of November on my 2018 Ford Edge Sport. That was my fourth Ford and while I enjoyed them I am looking to become "all-in" on an EV. Don't get me started on the fuglieness of the Mach-E.. that's why I'm here at Tesla LOL.

I will have to start checking out the forums for information on what-to-do's and what-to-don'ts, etc. If anyone in NJ has recently [or will be soon getting a Model Y] let me know your experiences! I am located near Morristown and last I stepped foot anywhere near a Tesla was in the Tesla store at the Short Hills Mall.

I am keen on knowing if I will get any federal or NJ rebates still from buying a Model Y this year as well as what distribution center you chose to pick up your new Tesla. I believe our area can float between Springfield, NJ or Mt. Kisco, NY the last I read on the old forums.

Thank you and talk to everyone again!

Reactions: UCF3
Hey there. Currently driving a 2017 Edge Sport and, I have to say, I _really_ like this car. I bought it new and it’s still tons of fun and also practical.

That being said, I have a M3LR on order. I just test drove it again. After the drive, getting into the Ford, I wonder if I’m making a mistake. The Ford feels… right. Maybe I’m just used to it. It’s like putting on an old glove - all comfy and fits me perfectly. The benefits of the M3 are obvious. But, it’s not an easy call. Harumph.

Hey there. Currently driving a 2017 Edge Sport and, I have to say, I _really_ like this car. I bought it new and it’s still tons of fun and also practical.

That being said, I have a M3LR on order. I just test drove it again. After the drive, getting into the Ford, I wonder if I’m making a mistake. The Ford feels… right. Maybe I’m just used to it. It’s like putting on an old glove - all comfy and fits me perfectly. The benefits of the M3 are obvious. But, it’s not an easy call. Harumph.

I would agree the Edge is one of the best models from Ford. I've also owned a few Escapes and a Focus S2 and had zero issues. I get a good "feeling" in a Ford as well, and if Tesla wasn't around I'd probably be renewing my lease and getting a 2022 Edge ST. They are wicked fast and have very ample interior cargo space for my needs.

The thing I had to get over is that the Edge has more of a truck-like stance and drivability whereas the Model Y (which I did order!) is a little more tame in some areas but man, what a joy it is to peg that accelerator pedal down and feel you're at Mach 3. It makes the Edge Sport's turbo lag really apparent. I went with Tesla because of several factors, including but not limited to, not having to pay for gas anymore, environmental stewardship, the product feature-set, and the belief in Elon Musk's mission and vision. Probably a host of other benefits you share.

Good luck with your order. I think we both made a good decision.

Reactions: Soosh69
I'm near Morristown myself. I came from driving a Highlander and took delivery of a long range model y in November. I think initially some of the things that bothered me about the y are some of the reasons I really like it now. I will say it takes time getting adjusted to it. My wife drives the Highlander and I drive the new y the majority of the time. When we drive each others car its kinda painful for each other. It's just a way different type of car then you have driven before. Blind spot reduction essentially being an image on the center screen feels weird at first but you get use to it. I thought I would be irritated about being lower to the ground in harsh weather like snow or heavy rain but the y has handled it like a champ. In most instances way better then the Highlander. I think it has to do a lot with the tires I got but none the less the handling has been great. I do use winter/summer tire set up so I'm sure it's a big plus. If you can afford to I highly recommend it. Fyi driving through the heavy rain/semi flooding this past sat night was a breeze. Its kinda incredible how well cameras on the y will show you where you are on the road via radar, also hydroplaning just doesn't happen unless something drastically goes wrong. As far as pickup...all I'll say is once you drive a Tesla everything else seems boring. On the space component. Yes it's more compact then I'm use to driving but the storage in trunk and Sub trunk isn't bad. The seats are way more comfortable atleast compared to what I'm use to. If you have any other questions I'm happy to help. I took delivery in Springfield. It was a breeze I was in and out in under a half hr.

Reactions: Trip McNealy
I'm near Morristown myself. I came from driving a Highlander and took delivery of a long range model y in November. I think initially some of the things that bothered me about the y are some of the reasons I really like it now.

Its kinda incredible how well cameras on the y will show you where you are on the road via radar, also hydroplaning just doesn't happen unless something drastically goes wrong. As far as pickup...all I'll say is once you drive a Tesla everything else seems boring. On the space component. Yes it's more compact then I'm use to driving but the storage in trunk and Sub trunk isn't bad. The seats are way more comfortable atleast compared to what I'm use to. If you have any other questions I'm happy to help. I took delivery in Springfield. It was a breeze I was in and out in under a half hr.

Great to hear! All the Y's are now Vision-equipped but I'm sure it'll be a similar experience to radar in some things. I too liked the Frunk and rear trunk storage features and will be a good compliment to when I put the rear seats down and load up my drums for gigging around.

I opted for the 20" Inductions which have the better stock tires and I'll probably stick with them for now. Hoping we have a mild-ish winter. God willing, my wife and I are leaving for greener pastures to GA next year so I probably won't need a winter tire combo.

When you picked up at Springfield did you do that whole exhaustive delivery checklist (from the internet github) or waited until you got home?