Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from San Antonio - Some questions for all you experts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I have been doing a bunch of research on buying a Tesla and have scheduled a road test for this coming Friday. I did have some questions and hopefully this is the place to post. If not please let me know where I should be asking things like these

When I scheduled the road test it asked about a trade in. I do have a current vehicle. I put in the info and it scame back and gave me a great price, $4k over what I owe. The issue is it expires in 7 days. How does that work if I want to order new and it is 3-5 week delivery time?

I have seen a bunch of YouTube videos that suggest waiting until the last couple of weeks of Tesla's quarter to try and get a deal on either a used inventory car or a demo. Is this real or a unicorn some folks have come across?

How are people seeing insurance rates change going from a gas to electric vehicle?

What are the "must ask" questions when I get there on Friday that you wish you had asked?

I just got off the phone confirming my appointment. He was very helpful and asked which vehicle I was interested in. I told him I have never touched or seen a Tesla in person so he said they would take a lot of time to go over that and have me drive the right one. Very helpful, but I am leery it may just be an up-sell pitch.

If there is anything else I should be looking at or thinking about please let me know.

Thanks all!

...I put in the info and it scame back and gave me a great price, $4k over what I owe. The issue is it expires in 7 days. How does that work if I want to order new and it is 3-5 week delivery time?...

The quote can be changeable, revisable so I am not sure you can count on its quote guarantee even if it does not expire in 7 days.

I think the "guarantee" is a misnomer, it's more like an approximation, estimation so the date of expiration is meaningless.

...I have seen a bunch of YouTube videos that suggest waiting until the last couple of weeks of Tesla's quarter to try and get a deal on either a used inventory car or a demo. Is this real or a unicorn some folks have come across?...

It's not a guarantee but there are times that Tesla would like to clear its inventory out which coincides with each quarter. Sometimes with price reductions, other times with features such as Free Supercharging...

...How are people seeing insurance rates change going from a gas to electric vehicle?...

It's all over the place so that depends on your insurance company and you might have to get other quotes from other companies.

I drove Prius and the Wawanesa premium was comparable (a few more dollars per year) when I switched to Tesla.

...I just got off the phone confirming my appointment. He was very helpful and asked which vehicle I was interested in. I told him I have never touched or seen a Tesla in person so he said they would take a lot of time to go over that and have me drive the right one. Very helpful, but I am leery it may just be an up-sell pitch...

What's wrong with clicking it on the web?

I doubt your salesperson has any power to get you the best car. It's out of their hands. They don't have the CEO's power.

The salesperson can sell you the moon but as long as it is not included in the receipt, good luck!