TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hello from San Antonio

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by wart, Jun 7, 2014.

1. wart

wart Member

My Tesla story so far.

I've been a car enthusiast for many years, and I've read the car magazines to keep up with the news in the industry. So read about the Roadster and thought it was an interesting breakthrough, but still an expensive weekend toy for wealthy people. Obviously there are some here who would disagree but that was my impression at the time.

Then in March of 2009 Tesla unveiled the prototype the Model S. A practical sedan, 300 mile range, all electric, starting at $50,000! I'm going to buy one!

Of course it took a few years, and the price drifted upwards, but finally the Model S hit the road at the end of 2012. I read the very positive review in Car and Driver magazine and knew that this car would be important.

In March of 2013 I visited the Tesla Gallery in Houston, learned some more about the car, sat in it and played with the touchscreen and of course the huge panoramic roof. By now I was hooked, but not yet ready to take the plunge.

So I started reading more, playing with the Design Studio, and of course learned a lot by reading the TMC forums. All of this just made me want a Tesla more and more. But it was still a lot of money, and there weren't a lot of charging options in Texas. I decided I'd wait two years to save up for a down payment, and watch the development of the charging network, and maybe see what the time frame for the more affordable Gen 3 car looked like. Also I bought some TSLA stock. It turned out March of 2013 was a good time to buy stock!

So for the rest of 2013 I saved my money, and watched the stock rise, and watched the Supercharger network grow, and played with the Design Studio, and read the forums. And realized that the Gen 3 wouldn't be out until 2017 or 2018. The Model S is really a bigger car than I need, but I don't want to wait that long...

So I began leaning strongly towards buying an S85. The performance would be comparable to my current ride (2008 Mustang GT) and I could get one reasonably equipped for a bit over $80,000. I think I can do that.

Finally, spring of 2014, still saving up, one year away, time to think about what maneuvers I need to make in my investment portfolio to make this happen. Up to this point I'd been deliberately avoiding the test drive events, because I was sure if I drove one, I'd want it, and I wasn't ready to want it that badly yet. But it seems a bit strange to make all these preparations for buying a car without knowing how it drives. And there were all these Experience Tesla events in Texas this spring. So finally I signed up for the Houston event on May 31, and test drove a beautiful multi-coat red S85.

Well if you're on these forums you know how the test drive went. So smooth! Speed without drama. All the sound and fury of my Mustang just seems passe now. The Model S goes fast but it doesn't yell "look at me, I'm going fast!" the way gasoline sports cars do.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the Mustang, and I'm going to keep loving it for one more year. But there's a large and growing piece of my heart that's eager to love a Tesla Model S.

2. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

I've had mine for over a year and have never looked back. You won't be disappointed.

If you ever want to meet up for coffee and take mine out for a spin, feel free to PM me.

3. TomWhiteside

TomWhiteside Member

Your story, Wart sounds a lot like mine except I wasn't smart enough to buy the stock! I did an order/commit on a Silver S85 this week in Austin. Look forward to meeting up with you San Antonio folks someday! Twiddling my thumbs until delivery predicted end of September...

4. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

Per Elon @ the Stockholders's meeting this week, the Gen III will be out in 2016 (not 2017).
    Personally, I wouldn't have the patience to wait until then (or 2017 for that matter), but everybody has their own level of due diligence and priorities they must ascribe to.

5. wart

wart Member

Thanks for the welcome, y'all!

As exciting as the stock has been over the last year, I was starting with a pretty small stake. So I won't be one of those paying for the car with stock market profits. That being said, I do think we'll have an opportunity at the end of this year/beginning of next year. I think the Model X rollout and possible appearance of a Gen 3 prototype at the North American International Auto Show in early 2015 could lead to a good bump. Just a theory, I'm certainly no financial expert.

Purplewalt, I did see that bit about the Gen 3 in 2016. But I'll be very surprised if we see deliveries in meaningful numbers before 2017. Doesn't the Gen 3 depend on the gigafactory for battery packs? Gigafactory timeline shows it going online in early 2017. Right now I'm still planning on buying a Model S in spring of 2015, but I'll definitely be watching the news about Gen 3.

6. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

Are you me? My god your story hits home!

Let me give you my history and show you I went with the Model S (I pick it up in 17 hours!!)

I am a very debt averse person and unlike a lot of people on here, and no offense to those and more power to them, but I am not swimming in cash. I am well off and get paid well doing what I do, but I am not making it rain and this is a heavy purchase for me. I don't fully agree with your early assessment, which I understand you changed, that it is a rich persons weekend ride, as I have read on this forum people use this car as a daily driver because they can't be detached from it! Also, the car is within reach for those, yes better off, but also good with their finances and careful.

My story? I too owned a 2008 Mustang! Though mine was a V6 and I was never a real big car person, so maybe this should be taken with a grain of salt. I saw Tesla back when they had the Roadster with Who Killed The Electric car and ever since then I TRIED to find a reason why Electric drive was worse, because there had to be SOME reason we have not moved to it. Couldn't find much.

I wanted a Tesla, but being debt averse I wasn't about to go from no car payment land to moving right back in. Thankfully I did buy some of TSLA back when it was 25 dollars, not a huge amount, but enough to put down a large chunk on the car and finance the rest for a very reasonable payment. My friends make fun of me in jest about how much the car is, that is in fact the amount you could buy a house with, these are things you will have to live with. I opened a thread about 5 months ago asking this very forum about my financial position and whether I was insane to consider this car. What it came down to was life isn't all about saving. You have to live a little and if you are responsible and careful with your money there is no reason you cant spend it on things you are passionate about.

So here we are. I am picking up the car in less then 24 hours, a car that is 4-5 times more then I thought I would EVER consider. I am too getting an S85. I may be crazy, but I can't convince my already crazy self to spend more for the P85. In the long run I also see this as an investment in the future. Not only do I feel I am speaking/voting with my money to push environmental and renewable energies forward, but if you don't even believe in that at the end of the day you are also pushing and promoting American innovation forward. I think those are two very powerful reasons to get the product. Beyond all the accolades that flow like water with this car.

Sorry this was sort of a rant, but you reminded me so much of myself with the same car almost. I hope you get this car responsibly and you enjoy the HELL out of it!

7. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

Good for you both, for buying into and supporting the underlying mission: the drive to sustainable transportation.

8. wart

wart Member

Bardlebee, I agree it sounds like we have some things in common. Hope you've been enjoying your new car this afternoon! Did it get rained on?

As for reasons for being anti-EV in the "Who Killed the Electric Car" era, my answer was simple; the batteries weren't good enough. Now the batteries ARE good enough, so here we are. As for me, I may need to back away from Tesla enthusiasm for a few months, it's just making the wait that much harder!

9. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

Never back away! ;)

We are here for you and you are more then welcome to take as many test drives in my new Tesla as you would like! I would welcome it! I have the S85, not sure if I mentioned...

Below is my dopey face today! Got rained on a little, but meh. I am not too afraid of that. I am going to wear this thing out to the ground! Gotta get my money's worth haha.

TeslaJ.jpg

10. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

Bardlebee - Congrats! Dark Blue? Looks great. Loving it? (There's only one right answer).

Wart - Welcome, Hold fast, you'll know when it's time.

Looks like we need a San Antonio meet up soon.

11. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Congrats on the new car!

12. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

I meet up in San Antonio would be cool. I know we have an Austin/San Antonio group and Wart can come too to look at the different variants of cars! :)

13. wart

wart Member

Yes it would be great to have a meetup. I'll be watching the Texas community forum. I'll be in the blue Mustang, making more noise than all the other cars put together :D