Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from Sheffield Alabama

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love Elon, SpaceX and Tesla.

I have a Prius as my intro into hybrids/electrics. Would like a Tesla car or truck just not ready for the plunge yet.

I’m a HW/SW Engineer, semi-retired but still a smart, active and inquisitive Maker/inventor type.

That’s why Elon is my “hero” so to speak.

He’s doing SOME of the things I always wanted to do but I’m also doing other things like Generalized AI/robotics (kinda like Tesla-self-drive on steroids) but more autonomous in a robotic chasis that “could” someday drive a normal car and not be built in as PART OF a self-driving car and also not requiring separate vision systems, as are already built into a robot chasis.

Generalized AI for all sorts of applications not just driving a car which would be a specialized AI.

I like 3D Printing all sorts of things from whimsical items just for fun to parts for my NUMEROUS projects.

In my professional career I had to manage 16-20 projects simultaneously so I’m used to juggling lots of interests, hobbies and businesses at once.

OK, that’s me in a nutshell. There’s more but that will do as an intro.

If I bought a Tesla, I would want to give it a TRUE AI which would probably void my warranty the first DAY. LOL.

So I’m waiting for the self-drive to be able to drive the WHOLE trip across country while I sit back and work on refining a Project or 16 during a trip to Washington, the Grand Canyon or wherever without supervision every 30-minutes or so as I’ve seen on TV and YouTube reviews and documentaries.

OK, NOW I’m really done.

...If I bought a Tesla, I would want to give it a TRUE AI which would probably void my warranty the first DAY. LOL.

It sounds like you agree with minimal Tesla sensors for autonomous: Only one single radar, 8 cameras, 8 sonars.

Other companies have much more robust sensor suits: more radars, more cameras, more LIDARs as well.

...So I’m waiting for the self-drive to be able to drive the WHOLE trip across country while I sit back and work on refining a Project or 16 during a trip to Washington, the Grand Canyon or wherever without supervision every 30-minutes or so as I’ve seen on TV and YouTube reviews and documentaries...

Machines do best when its environments are predictable and all variables have been taken accounted for such as elevator, autonomous tram system in airports...

That's how Waymo could do it in a geofenced location so all variables can be prepped in advance.

Elon Musk said Tesla could do a coast-to-coast autonomously right now but that would involve Waymo's method of prepping the route and cannot deviate from the geofenced area but he prefers a general approach that owners can do it themselves without adhering to only certain prepped routes.

Welcome to the forum!