Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from Sunny Colorado!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new Model X owner from Longmont, CO, which is NW of Denver by about 30 miles. I purchased a 2017 P100DL on NY's Eve 2019 and took delivery in Dallas. I flew my son down from Seattle for a fun road trip back home. Before I flew down to Dallas, I checked out the suggested navigation on the Tesla website to hit all the super charging stations. It said to go up through Oklahoma City to Wichita and then up to I-70 and then west to Denver.

When we got into the car to leave Dallas on NY's Day, the car says, "Naw, I got this!" Let's go up through the panhandle." So I think to myself, "Well, surely the car knows itself better than a generic website. So sure, let's follow along." We drive for hours and eventually get to Amarillo where we leave the freeway and go on some state highways up to Raton, NM and Trinidad, CO. Leaving fully charged, we get about 10-15 miles out and the car balks like a damn horse! "Wait, go back!! Recharge!!!" and re-routes us to Amarillo. Well, clearly it didn't think it was going to make it. I wasn't about to drive back to Dallas, so we went back south to the I-40 freeway and continued on to Tucumcari, NM and recharged there. There was a back way up through to Raton and Trinidad which the car said was doable as long as I stayed under 65 MPH the whole way. Which I did.

We limped into Trinidad and pulled into the super charging station and turned the car off. At which point it started yelling at us. "What the hell were you thinking? I'm almost dead!" Or words to that effect. There was an estimated 12 miles left in the battery. o_O

I hope to have many more fun adventures in this awesome car!

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki and IdaX
Congrats on your new Model S. You might find when you get back on the highway after Supercharging that your consumption is high since you are accelerating up to speed. The car will extrapolate and try to determine if you could make it at that Wh/mile rate. If not, it will complain. You might've been able to make it on your original route if you'd slowed down or let it calculate for a few more miles. I wouldn't bother with using Tesla's site to plan trips as it has very limited functionality. A site such as A Better Routeplanner does a much better job and lets you plan all kinds of things in advance. You can choose to skip Superchargers, charge longer at other Superchargers, indicate weather conditions, etc. The nice thing is the site works on desktop computers, mobile devices and even in Tesla's browser.

I don't know if you saw but Tesla just opened the first v3 Supercharger in Idaho Springs last week. Other locations in Thornton, Brighton and Denver West should be coming online in the next few weeks.

Enjoy your Tesla!

Reactions: Akikiki
Congrats on your new Model S. You might find when you get back on the highway after Supercharging that your consumption is high since you are accelerating up to speed. The car will extrapolate and try to determine if you could make it at that Wh/mile rate. If not, it will complain. You might've been able to make it on your original route if you'd slowed down or let it calculate for a few more miles. I wouldn't bother with using Tesla's site to plan trips as it has very limited functionality. A site such as A Better Routeplanner does a much better job and lets you plan all kinds of things in advance. You can choose to skip Superchargers, charge longer at other Superchargers, indicate weather conditions, etc. The nice thing is the site works on desktop computers, mobile devices and even in Tesla's browser.

I don't know if you saw but Tesla just opened the first v3 Supercharger in Idaho Springs last week. Other locations in Thornton, Brighton and Denver West should be coming online in the next few weeks.

Enjoy your Tesla!

Thanks, MorrisonHiker. I'll definitely check it out! Does that app also keep track of when/where new charging stations are coming online or is that found someplace else?