TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hello from Sunnyvale CA and look forward to Model S road noise reports

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ORB, Jun 22, 2012.

1. ORB

ORB Member

Hello all,

I've been lurking since reserving my Model S (P7998) and finally decided to jump in. I do LabVIEW software consulting and enjoy hiking and following electrical and electronics technology. I was only lukewarm about replacing my Camry (14 yrs old) until I got excited about the 'S, it'll be a perfect fit for my interests and driving habits.

Just for fun I drove up Hwy 880 tonight between the Dixon Landing and Warren Ave. exits to check out the road noise in my Camry, judged it to be low to moderate in this stretch. I'd be really keen and appreciative if you Model S test drivers happen to note the qualitative amount of road noise (or lack of it) as you drive this stretch of Hwy 880 this weekend, as compared with the car you drive now.

Based on the favorable Motor Trend first look article just posted today, I'm hoping that the air suspension and other design features will result in a significant road noise improvement for me, as almost all the noise I hear in the Camry comes from the tires coupling through the suspension and body (hardly hear the engine).

I've really enjoyed learning from everyone's knowledgeable posts. It's also fun seeing you people get excited like you were kids again! Look forward to a possible test drive spot in the July Fremont event.

Best regards,
    Oliver Barrett

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Welcome to TMC!

Major understatement! :biggrin:

3. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Oliver,

you should receive email invitation for the test drive events very soon. There are reports of P-8000 and above getting invitations. Check your inbox, and your spam folder.

BTW there is no Fremont July event. Check the The Get Amped Model S Tour | Tesla Motors tour dates. Palo Alto July 14 – 15 is nearly in walking distance to Sunnyvale :biggrin:

4. ORB

ORB Member

VolkerP,

Yes, got the LA event invite yesterday but passed it up in favor of the Palo Alto event, looking forward to it.

Thanks!

5. Adm

Adm Active Member

I am low tech when it comes to cell phone, but I've heard friends talk about an Iphone app that can measure dB level. Maybe somebody can try and see how Model S fares against their own car.