Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from Tampa, Florida - USAF Vet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I recently received my new 2018 Tesla Model S 100D back in mid June 2018 after trading in my lifted 15'/16' GMC Sierra Crew Cab. Before I bought my Tesla, I had a solar system with Powerwalls installed in my home back in the beginning of April. I've really enjoyed the Tesla feel, innovation and convenience everything has brought. One thing I enjoy about my Tesla is the stress the car has taken away from Tampa rush-hour traffic. Auto Pilot has made my drive home less stressful, especially after a long day at the office. Additionally, I've started to travel in Florida more (sightseeing) since I moved to Florida back in June 2017.

However, after owning my MS 100D for about a month, my car was short lived. In early August an inebriated driver pulled out in front of me (Auto Pilot was not engaged for those that will ask) causing severe damage to my MS 100D. Chances are the car may not be totaled because of the overall cost of the car--if it was a 75D then chance would be better. One of the most unfortunate parts of this event is that the driver has the minimum insurance coverage ($10K property), no assets in his name, and has been arrested several times since 2007. Additionally, I found out that the State of Florida does not offer, and there is no way to obtain unless laws are changed, Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD) protection; Florida does offer Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM), which is only related to medical.

To make a long story short, myself and my insurance will be paying for the car to be repaired or replaced. If repaired, I will be unable to recuperate the car's Diminished Value (DV) (~$31K--$36K) and Loss of Use (LOU). Plus, if my car will be required to be repaired in Orlando, FL and the shop there has a very lengthy backlog. The car would take a minimum of 7-8 months to repair; hello 2019, LOL.

Anyway, I may write more on my story in another section, and if I do I will edit this post with a link below. I look forward to being apart of this form and contributing to some of the modification projects I have (had) planned for my MS (e.g. Focal Audio System, etc.). Have a great week everyone =)

Tesla_Tesla_Tesla.jpg

WOW sorry to hear of the accident, good luck fighting the insurance... can you post pictures of the damage? some might be able to offer suggestions to fix...

Yes, I would like to start another thread (possibly in the Model S section, unless there is a more appropriate area) like other members have on their experience throughout the fix. There are some great suggestions and experiences I have seen so far. But as for the legal situation in Florida, this will be most interesting to fellow Floridians. Time to grab some popcorn!! LOL

But here's two pictures for now:

IMG_5474.jpg
IMG_5489.jpg