Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from Texas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just stopping in to say Hello. Considering a pre-owned Tesla to dip my toe into the Tesla waters.

Was looking for an older Model S in order to stay under $30k on my first go round. But after I discovered that you can't get an extended warranty without buying directly from Tesla, I've moved to consider a pre-owned Model 3...at the $40k mark.

Wondering what your thoughts are as current owners. Should I be worried about extended warranty on these cars?

Are there certain things I should consider when buying (model year? features I can't love without or don't need? etc)?

Been lurking around but look forward to learning more while here. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums. Have you test driven a 3? One of the sleeper bargains is the original 990 motor AWD, which is essentially a performance model software limited to AWD specs (all Tesla cars are software limited). You can't upgrade to P from Tesla (although you can get a boost), and I wouldn't do it via third party, but if you keep the car after the warranty expires there may be some DIY performance options down the road. And they should hold their value well.

I don't think there are many features added later you would miss. My personal favorite is the USB-C port switch from USB-A. But there are some features lost like self dining mirrors, if you bought new today.

What car did you previously have and what are your driving habits? Do you road trip? And to where? You'll want to charge every night/day at home or work.

Last edited:
What car did you previously have and what are your driving habits? Do you road trip? And to where? You'll want to charge every night/day at home or work.
Thanks for the welcome. Coming from a Cadillac CTS-V. Driving habits are generally pretty tame. We have a road trip vehicle, so this is a daily driver to get around town. My wife is a Realtor and would use it to run around to showings as well. Obviously we would have to get used to the charge and distance, etc. But I'm more excited about the prospect of owning a Tesla and discovering this new way of travelling. The closest thing I have is a golf cart.

Curious to why you were limited to 30k for the S? I just looked at https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/ and found three Model S 75s that would come with 4 year 50k mile warranty just above the 40k you want to spend on a Model 3 between 43,000 and 41,500.

I would definitely want a warranty with ANY used car purchase in this price range. But, Teslas especially. They have some high $$ parts that can go out at any time. Some are just cosmetic that may or may not be covered, but some are not.

If you aren't in a rush you can watch the used sites either directly at Tesla or at EVCPO and more than likely snag a deal. I watched for a few years while saving up and stole one I feel like, couldn't be happier! Obviously I saw a few good deals go by before I was ready to purchase, but just know they are out there for sure!

And hello and welcome to the forums! Any Texas specific questions just ask. Good luck!!

Reactions: EV-CPO
Curious to why you were limited to 30k for the S? I just looked at https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/ and found three Model S 75s that would come with 4 year 50k mile warranty just above the 40k you want to spend on a Model 3 between 43,000 and 41,500.

I would definitely want a warranty with ANY used car purchase in this price range. But, Teslas especially. They have some high $$ parts that can go out at any time. Some are just cosmetic that may or may not be covered, but some are not.

If you aren't in a rush you can watch the used sites either directly at Tesla or at EVCPO and more than likely snag a deal. I watched for a few years while saving up and stole one I feel like, couldn't be happier! Obviously I saw a few good deals go by before I was ready to purchase, but just know they are out there for sure!

And hello and welcome to the forums! Any Texas specific questions just ask. Good luck!!
Just a budget thing...and really wanted to get into a Tesla on the low end. As I do some more research, I may raise that. But it seems like I could get a pretty nice pre-owned Tesla for $30-$40k. Thanks for sharing the EVCPO website. It is my understanding that I can't get an extended warranty unless I buy directly from Tesla. Is that not right?

Just a budget thing...and really wanted to get into a Tesla on the low end. As I do some more research, I may raise that. But it seems like I could get a pretty nice pre-owned Tesla for $30-$40k. Thanks for sharing the EVCPO website. It is my understanding that I can't get an extended warranty unless I buy directly from Tesla. Is that not right?

Sorry it took so long to respond, I swear this post didn't show up for me until today for some reason....

30-40 should get a very nice one if you can be patient. At one time there was a company doing extended warranties for Teslas (that posted on this forum) but I haven't heard anything from them recently. I believe the 4YR extended was around 4k (similar to when Tesla offered extendeds) so to me it would be smart to get that warranty from Tesla by buying one 4 years old or less with under 50k miles directly from them. All Model 3s should have that warranty unless someone put over 50k miles on it, I can't say I've seen one for sale like that from Tesla though,.. yet.. LOL.