Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello From Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I have been lurking on this board for several months. For the last 20 years have owned either a SUV, crossover, or mini van. The last car we owned was a 1999 Toyota Camry. Had the opportunity to test drive a new 2020 and 2021 Y LR AWD. Originally was going to get a Y, but recently been looking at the used market for S, X, Y, and 3's. Like the drivers seat height in the X and Y, but the pricing for the X makes it a difficult choice.The S and 3 might take some adjusting because of the lower seat height for the driver.
Look forward to the journey of owning a Tesla. Thanks in advance.

Tam,
Thank you for your response. Do you have a favorite between the X and 3? How would you compare the drive between the X and 3. The Y feels like you are driving a sports car.

My favorites on Model X:
.Big: Roomy is good for me.
.Utility: I like to carry passengers and stuff and it's very suitable.
.Falcon wings: Easy way to get in and out. Once I have used them, I hate traditional doors.
.Closing doors from the screen: Sometimes I forget to close doors and it's a hassle to get out to close one with other models. With the X, the only one that I can't close from the main screen is the front trunk! With kids in the back, I told them to fold their arms so I can see and I would close the doors from my driver seat. Once the kids know the safety protocol of not holding the door frames while the door is closing, I allow them to manually close the doors.
.Automatic driver door: It automatically opens as I approach the driver door which is very convenient because a lot of times, both of my hands are full.
.More info on displays: Because there are 2 display screens: Instrument cluster in front and central screen.
.Towing
.Flashy: Kids love watching the car dances with the falcon wings.
.Better subwoofer: The music is warmer in the X.

What I don't like about the Model X:
.Expensive
.Big: might be tight for a small garage and a compact car designating parking space at a small strip mall.
.Missing coat hangers: I don't know whether that has been fixed in the 2021 version yet.

My favorites on Model 3:
.Cheaper
.Small: Good for tight garage and all parking spaces.
.Coat hangers: What a difference! I love this feature!

What I don't like about the Model 3:
.Less utility: Less room, no tow
.No hatchback: Just conventional trunk with lid and I can't fit a small table through it.
.Less info display: There's only 1 screen and the screen is smaller (15" instead of Model X's 17")
.No door automation: It's a hassle when my hands are full and the driver door doesn't open up for me or when I forgot to close a door or trunk and I have to manually get out of the car to close them.
.The music is not as warm as the X due to the less powerful subwoofer (less vibration that I could feel from the bass too)

Overall, the X spoils me so I don't mind paying more for it!

Tam,
Thank you very much for the excellent review of the X. I like the X drivers seat height. Reminds me of some of the SUVs and crossovers that we have owned. Thank you for mentioning the sub woofer and the two screens.
I read that the D75 has a range of 237 miles. Does that seem reasonable or believable? Does the X have a model year to avoid?
Saw a red X in the area today and it turned my head. It is a unique design. My only concern is the cost. We have bought cars in the mid $50k range, but never in the high 50s or low 60s.
Thank you again.

I read that the D75 has a range of 237 miles. Does that seem reasonable or believable?
You can find the EPA range by visiting:

For 2019 Model X 75D, it's 238 miles.

Just like a gasoline EPA range rating, it's pretty much impossible for us to duplicate its laboratory conditions to achieve their ratings.

It's meant to be a guide to compare among other cars but that's it.

For practicality, I wouldn't count on EPA range. It's not that much a problem with a gasoline car because you can pretty much find a gas station at almost every corner.

Does the X have a model year to avoid?
The minimum technology that I would settle with is Autopilot with 8 cameras started in October 2016.

Prior to that, it's only 1 camera Autopilot. Too old of technology for me.

The infotainment center MCU1 (Media Center Unit first generation--17" central display unit) built from March 2018 or earlier tends to fail after about 4 years. There's a recall for that if it fails.

My only concern is the cost. We have bought cars in the mid $50k range, but never in the high 50s or low 60s.

For the cost purpose, I would recommend a new $48,490 Model 3 Long Range (353-mile battery) with Autopilot already built-in the price. It doesn't have your own personal automatic valet that opens the driver door to spoil you but It's definitely a fine good safe car.

I would avoid buying use due to the potential cost of repairs out of warranty.