Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from West Tennessee (in the heart of the supercharger desert)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I'm about two weeks away from the delivery of my 2013 CPO S85. The advice from this forum has been invaluable to me. I wouldn't have even thought I could afford a Model S if it wasn't for posts explaining how most CPOs are hidden from the main site. I secured fantastic financing due to knowing where to look, all because of this forum. I'll definitely try to give back to this community as much as I've learned from it.

I'm starting off my ownership with a 1000mi roadtrip from Nashville (pickup) over to the Carolinas then back across to Memphis. I wouldn't have even imagined this to be possible until I saw how quick supercharging times have become. My only concern is the leg from Nashville to Memphis (4 total level 2 chargers along the 220 mi stretch) but I figure with careful driving it'll be fine.

Welcome to TMC.

In case you haven't seen it, evtripplanner.com is a helpful resource for uncertainty.

For an S85, 19" wheels, Memphis, TN (center) to Nashville, TN Supercharger

Speed Multiplier 1 (average road speed, not speed limit; download the CSV for speeds)
Cabin Temp (°F) 72
Ext Temp (°F) 72
Payload (lb) 250

Distance 219.8 miles
Driving Time 3:18
Charging Time 0:00
Total Trip Time 3:18
Total Energy Used 74.5 kWh
248 RM
Average Efficiency 339 Wh/mile
Net Elevation Change 358 feet

That's with no climate control, so it looks like you'll definitely want to be careful and have the L2 charger info handy in case you need a top-up.

Have fun. :)

I've planned out the whole trip using evtripplanner, it's what sold me on the possibility of the trip (and that I NEED at minimum an 85kWh pack since I drive to Nashville frequently enough). That site is a fantastic tool, especially when it comes to estimating the impact of climate control (yay southern 100°+ summers).

I've got the plugshare app loaded on my phone in anticipation, also I-40 is loaded with 18-wheelers that I could conservatively draft. I'm contemplating purchasing a CHAdeMO adapter as there is an unlisted charger available at the Nissan dealership but they're a bit fidgety letting non-Nissans charge there.

Don't count 100% on those L2 near Jackson TN. Sometimes they are ICEd.
At least one RV Park along that route welcomes Tesla owners
check out Parker's Crossroad RV park.
If in doubt whether you can make it slow down. 55 mph in right lane on I40 is doable especially if you can find another slow moving vehicle to provide cover. Drafting close enough to be useful is very dangerous.
The Tesla is so great to drive that you may not mind going slow.