Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello! I'm David! EWR > LAX needs help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a noob (obviously) and I do not own a Tesla but will be renting a Model S for a deranged coast-to-coast trip to see my son in Corona Time! Planning to leave end of next week and...I'm gonna need help!

NNJ > LA; more specifically in airport terms, EWR > LAX!

I'm also using this trip an an audition for my next car...

So go easy on me and thanks so much in advance!

Best,

David

Try this - A Better Routeplanner

Put in the beginning and ending address with the type of Tesla you're renting and it'll plan a route for you as well as where you should charge and how long. The Tesla map router inside your car will do the same thing but this link will let you add waypoints for stops you'd like to do like maybe you'd like to see the Great Salt Lake, Grand Canyon, etc.

Good luck and have a safe trip!

Tell them that you want access to the vehicle from the iPhone (or Android) Tesla app. There is now a simple way for them to share access. This makes life easier for you in a variety of ways, most notably that you'll be able to see how charging is going while you are away from your vehicle. Other advantages are that you'll be able to see where the vehicle is (in case you lose it in a large parking lot), you'll be able to start the climate control remotely, and you'll be able to drive the car even if you lose the fob.

I am a noob (obviously) and I do not own a Tesla but will be renting a Model S for a deranged coast-to-coast trip to see my son in Corona Time! Planning to leave end of next week and...I'm gonna need help!

I'm also using this trip an an audition for my next car...

So go easy on me and thanks so much in advance!

Best,

David
Try this - A Better Routeplanner

Put in the beginning and ending address with the type of Tesla you're renting and it'll plan a route for you as well as where you should charge and how long. The Tesla map router inside your car will do the same thing but this link will let you add waypoints for stops you'd like to do like maybe you'd like to see the Great Salt Lake, Grand Canyon, etc.

Good luck and have a safe trip!

Many thanks and absolutely will try ABRP! The car is a 75D which supposedly equates to "base model"; I'm told it gets appx. 250-275 miles on a full charge. I will definitely try to see some beautiful stuff but focus will be efficiency of travel and I am one inefficient MF so it's gonna be challenging!

One possible route I am considering would be southern: pick up a buddy in New Orleans and then drive across TX and AZ; yesterday it was 122º in parts of AZ! Does high heat affect batteries and lower efficiency/range?

Tell them that you want access to the vehicle from the iPhone (or Android) Tesla app. There is now a simple way for them to share access. This makes life easier for you in a variety of ways, most notably that you'll be able to see how charging is going while you are away from your vehicle. Other advantages are that you'll be able to see where the vehicle is (in case you lose it in a large parking lot), you'll be able to start the climate control remotely, and you'll be able to drive the car even if you lose the fob.

Yes, thanks. This, in a big way. The guy at the local Enterprise place that has the vehicle was clueless about this. I think I am going to have to approach corporate (no easy task these days!) The car is highly unlikely to have any SW/HW upgrades and that's just the way it is, so please tune any of your words of wisdom accordingly; it was hard enough to find out that it was a 75D!

If you do know what the "simple way to share access" is like what they call it or whatever, it might help me educate them. I absolutely want to try really hard to get this done and it may be difficult; def. if I just show up to get the car, ain't happening unless it can be done by me alone when in possession and I doubt that is a thing as non-owner.

Yes, thanks. This, in a big way. The guy at the local Enterprise place that has the vehicle was clueless about this. I think I am going to have to approach corporate (no easy task these days!) The car is highly unlikely to have any SW/HW upgrades and that's just the way it is, so please tune any of your words of wisdom accordingly; it was hard enough to find out that it was a 75D!

If you do know what the "simple way to share access" is like what they call it or whatever, it might help me educate them. I absolutely want to try really hard to get this done and it may be difficult; def. if I just show up to get the car, ain't happening unless it can be done by me alone when in possession and I doubt that is a thing as non-owner.
See Tesla Account Support under "Car Access". All they need to do is put in your name and e-mail. Then it will put access to that car under your Tesla account (which you will have to create).

The major issue, I think, will be that they will have to create a process for removing access when you return the car. If they are clueless then this won't concern them.

Those low-end Enterprise rentals don't have auto-pilot, which is unfortunate for a long road trip. Just make sure they haven't speed limited it to 80mph or some such. I've certainly seen that when you get such things as loaners.

Is this really a better deal than renting through Turo?

Reactions: bmah

Back in 2017 I rented a Model X for eight days out of Boston to help me decide if I wanted to replace my Model S with an X. Expensive, but it saved me money in that it made me sure that I would rather get a new S. It worked pretty nicely other than lack of app access. It was not through Turo, but it could have been. These guys: www.gsdrides.com. I found them here at TMC.

Many thanks and absolutely will try ABRP! The car is a 75D which supposedly equates to "base model"; I'm told it gets appx. 250-275 miles on a full charge. I will definitely try to see some beautiful stuff but focus will be efficiency of travel and I am one inefficient MF so it's gonna be challenging!

One possible route I am considering would be southern: pick up a buddy in New Orleans and then drive across TX and AZ; yesterday it was 122º in parts of AZ! Does high heat affect batteries and lower efficiency/range?

122F, I don't think so. But it is possible. In general hot weather is not a big efficiency problem, though really cold weather is.

ABRP is a great tool, do what it says. The car's nav will also do the trick, though it doesn't like to stop as often as it should. A 75D should be fine, but you will find it charging a little longer than a bigger battery. Your 250-275 miles are probably EPA miles. ABRP knows all about elevation changes and freeway speeds. You can set temperatures as well. It will tell you fairly accurately how many of those battery miles (called rated miles) will actually be required for each leg of the trip and how long it will take. We usually stop at all the ABRP recommended charge stops but leave when the car's nav says we'll have 15%-20% charge remaining at our destination. The lower you cut that margin, the faster you travel! The battery charges fast when it is closer to empty and then slower as it gets closer to full. So don't just fill it to 100% every time. Look at your charge remaining at destination (or the next Supercharger) and leave when it's 15%-20% AND the nav says you are good to go.

And the most important tip to avoid getting stranded is to watch that charge remaining at destination number as you are driving. If it is decreasing you can slow down to run more efficiently. Even just 3 MPH slower can be enough to reach your destination comfortably. I always keep it above 10% if I can. Things that could slow you even more are headwinds and rain/snow. If it starts to rain while you are charging the car won't have a good past history to estimate your efficiency during the next leg. In those rare cases you might want to charge more. The car will tell you to slow down as well, so pay attention to it.

The PlugShare app is a good place to look for a charge in unexpected places, though we haven't had to use it yet.

Reactions: dhbuckley

The problem with Turo is that you very quickly end up paying per mile in addition to the daily cost. It just isn’t rational when the Enterprise rental is unlimited miles. For a local rental, yes. But unless I’m missing something I haven’t seen even one Turo listing with unlimited miles.

I'm also using this trip an an audition for my next car..
David

All good advice but a routing suggestion - Why not EWR > SNA
Elizabeth to Irvine? Just down the road to Corona. No reason to mess around in LA unless you're getting him from the airport