Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello, new "used" model x owner with a few questions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning, have some quick questions I need the help of experienced Tesla owners, as I really have no close friends that can guide me.

I recently purchased a used 2018 model X 100d gray/black with rear console and black rims and finally made my dreams come true! This car is awesome and great for my family, happy to be apart of the club.

My car has enhanced autopilot and premium connectivity already on it. I purchased it from a used car dealership in new york and from the car fax information I am pretty sure it was a lease that was acquired to the car dealership I am guessing at auction maybe, and the owner of the dealership used the car for a couple months before his 2022 Model S... once he got it he listed if for sale and I got it.

I would like to register the car to me via the app or tesla.com website so I can get the added benefits of the mobile app on my iphone however....

I have a few big concerns, questions.

1. Will I lose my enhanced auto-pilot if i register the car to my name via the tesla.com/ or mobile app? I don't want to lose that..

2. Will I lose my premium connectivity if I register the car in my name same as above... I see in the app/website settings there is a place to add my credit card... as of now I have nothing registered and no credit card so as far as I know its FREE right now. I'd like it to stay free!

3. Also, I went to two supercharger locations and was not charged at either time... $0.00, do I have free supercharging grandfathered in or something? If I register the car into me by supplying Tesla with the registration, and my drivers license... Obviously its another thing I don't want to lose.

4. I read the only way I can service the vehicle by Tesla is if I book it on the APP... I do have 30 more days covered under the 4 year/under 50k warranty... I am also scared that if I bring the car into Tesla for a checkup before my warranty expires they will disable the enhanced auto-pilot, the premium connectivity and the free supercharging that to me seems to be FREE.

What do you guys suggest I do?

- Should I just try to skate by without registering the car in my name and also not using the app in hopes these items remain free and keep my fingers crossed I never have to bring the car to tesla for service?

- Or should I register the car and get the app and take a chance nothing will change at all? Whats ur experience with this? Is it worth it to lose all this nice features?

- My car screen has an "upgrade" to the FSD subscription that says it needs to be installed... I see on the website since i have enhanced its $99 a month that I wouldn't mind trying out.. however since I don't have the APP i am screwed and can't subscribe.... this is one of the main reasons why I am making this post...

Thanks
_O

Reactions: Falcon73
Enhanced auto-pilot and premium connectivity should remain. The free supercharging may not. It depends what month it was originally purchased. Mine is a 2018, and I got free supercharging because I used a referral code. I am pretty sure if I sell mine, the free supercharging does not follow and would eventually drop off. The pay-as-you-go FSD will stay that way as well or you can opt to upgrade, but the upgrade would be pretty expensive and right now doesn't work all that well, at least in MA. The enhanced auto-pilot works pretty well. I am sure someone will chime in here to help inform you about the free supercharging.

It is correct, you'll never be able to have it serviced without registering it on the Tesla app under you.

I am wondering if the dealer never registered it under him and that is why it maintained the free supercharging.

Reactions: Falcon73
Upvote 0
There are no 2018’s with free supercharging that transfers with the car. Transferable free supercharging ended in early 2017. So just expect to say goodbye to that feature.

Free premium connectivity stays with the car if it was originally ordered from Tesla before June 30, 2018.

Enhanced autopilot stays with the car.
It sounds like you have HW2.5 since you said you are not able to do a FSD subscription. You can pay $1000 to get the FSD computer upgrade that would allow a subscription. Note, however, at this time the only way to get FSD features is to be allowed into the FSD Beta group after getting a high safety score, and even then they might not be letting new people in at the moment. Even if you paid for FSD (in full or subscription), there is no guarantee that you get anything beyond what you have with EAP. That’s at least how it is right now.

You really need to get your car connected to your account in the Tesla app. As you noted, that is the only way to make appointments with Tesla. Even more importantly, as long as someone else has access to your car, they can see where the car is at all times, can remotely unlock it, and can remotely authorize someone to drive it. They have full access to your car. Not a comfortable situation.

Upvote 0
Well since the car has the warranty till end of this month. I assume the car was purchased in September 30th 2018.. that means my premium connectivity will not work even though it is now.

Also supercharging is currently free.... thats another downside if I get the app I may lose it... how would it stop working? Once day I plug it into the car and at a supercharger and it just not charge? Does that ever happen to anyone with a tesla?

I do have enhanced with 2.5, so is the FSD something that I can just download the software or that 1000$ I would have to bring it for better hardware?

Doesnt really sound like a lot of reasons for me to get the app... not really worried about the potential downsides that you mentioned

Upvote 0
If you don't want to pay for a towing bill after locking yourself out of the car then get a Tesla account. Your phone can unlock the car thru the connectivity if there's a cell signal or the car is connected to wifi.

If you'd rather not have the account then a hide a key might give you peace of mind.

Since my car updated last week I noticed it connects to wifi automatically now when there's a public signal, no obvious way to kill it.

Upvote 0
I am going to turn off the AUTO-LOCK feature.. I think its worth it for me to see how long I can go on with the car as-is... if I cant subscribe to FSD... and the only benefit is so I can mobile unlock my car... and the downsides are losing premium connectivity and losing free supercharging... ill wait it out till the day those items arent free anymore then connect the app

Upvote 0
I assume the car was purchased in September 30th 2018.. that means my premium connectivity will not work even though it
Free Premium connectivity isn’t determined by the purchase date, but by the order date. Likely it was ordered by June 30 if it was delivered September 30.
Once day I plug it into the car and at a supercharger and it just not charge?
It will charge. You just have to have given a credit card number in your Tesla account.
I can just download the software or that 1000$ I would have to bring it for better hardware?
It’s a hardware change needed if you do not have the FSD computer.
Doesnt really sound like a lot of reasons for me to get the app
It sounds like you don’t mind if someone else has a key to your car. Although the 2018 does not have the passive Phone as Key feature, the app gives full control, including the ability to drive it.

Upvote 0
Also... how can i lock myself in my model x? I saw on the screen the only way the car will lock itself is if you walk away with the key fob...

5. Another questions, a little off topic... how the hell or what setting do I hit in the air control settings to remove the fog on the lower outside of the window on the front windshield... I have tried every settings hot and cold... the only way to remove is to run the windshield wipers and that only last for 10 seconds before it comes back?

Upvote 0
Register the car or you will always be battling various logistical problems. I can't imagine trying to manage my car without the app. and you lose a giant amount of flexibility and features not using it. The big question is did the car go back to Tesla after the lease ended?

If yes then you will likely at some point lose all three: Enchanced Autopilot, FUSC, and Premium Connectivity when you re-register

If no then you will retain Enhanced Autopilot, but still lose FUSC. If the car was originally ordered before June 30, 2018 you will retain premium connectivity as well. If not then somebody else is already paying for it...

Whatever the case, I believe you will at some point have to register the car in your name anyway, so it's best to stay in control of the situation, be legitimate, and enjoy the full range of features without any surprises.

Reactions: Krash and Bigriver
Upvote 0
Fantastic.. well based on a lot of your suggestions I decided to add the car to my account and credit card..

I assume I will lose free supercharging unfortunately... but keep my fingers crossed to keep premium and enhanced.

PERFECT TIMING... my car has a stress crack in the windshield this morning... car was in my garage all night no change of any third party damaging my car... I even have cameras on it and no sentry mode picked up on anything either....

Looks like my first Tesla service Appt is on its way! Can't wait to have to probably spend thousands of dollars to replace something thats a manufactures defect...

Any suggestions? should I take this to tesla or some other franchise glass replacement company?

IMG_7704.jpeg

Reactions: Damager99
Upvote 0
Fantastic.. well based on a lot of your suggestions I decided to add the car to my account and credit card..

I assume I will lose free supercharging unfortunately... but keep my fingers crossed to keep premium and enhanced.

PERFECT TIMING... my car has a stress crack in the windshield this morning... car was in my garage all night no change of any third party damaging my car... I even have cameras on it and no sentry mode picked up on anything either....

Looks like my first Tesla service Appt is on its way! Can't wait to have to probably spend thousands of dollars to replace something thats a manufactures defect...

Any suggestions? should I take this to tesla or some other franchise glass replacement company?

View attachment 849858
This can happen, especially if there is a quick temperature differential between outdoors and your garage.

Upvote 0